best tip tools for installing tips?

Shroder

Registered
i'm sure there are plenty of post about this somewhere else, but i'm new so i'll bite...
I really like the Cue top sander from tweeten (once you take off the existing tip with a utility knife). Locktite (gel) glue is what i use. let it sit for an hour, then shave it down with the utility knife. sand the finish. then a dime or nickel shaper (i like the willard). I found a large pencil sharpener at sears ($3) to help shave down the sides, but be careful you can take a chunk of ferrule off! go slow.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing works better than a lathe for this, as well as most other repairs. Doing a tip replacement by hand takes a long time as well, compaired to a few minutes done correctly by an experienced repairman or cuemaker.

If you want a professional job, then consider buying a repair lathe, tips, glues, etc,,,,,, and eventually you may learn to use it.

If you value your time, and your cue, take it to a competent repair guy. He'll do a nice job at a fair price. These guys in most cases have thousands of dollars invested in equipment, supplies, tips, ferrules, woods,,,,,,,and on and on. Support them.

Shroder

Registered
My bad i assumed that the question was for doing this by hand. A lathe is definitely the way to go if you can afford it. And of course, a pro will do it better. I agree Renegade.