K66 vs K55 ... playability

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
Just curious ... The dimensional difference of K66 and K55 profiles are obvious. But I only found one discussion of differences between K66 and K55 playability (in 2004) and it morphed into another topic. I'd like to hear from the mechanics on this.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Cushion

The k66 is a pool cushion, k55 is a billiard cushion. Most like the way K55 play... Some company's switch from one profile to another.
Mainly the geometry of the rail will have the affect on the cushion..
Thats all for now. No reason for bickering'
-
Rob.M

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious ... The dimensional difference of K66 and K55 profiles are obvious. But I only found one discussion of differences between K66 and K55 playability (in 2004) and it morphed into another topic. I'd like to hear from the mechanics on this.

it's not that one is better than the other; the issue is that the bevel and thickness of the subrail have to match either for k55 or k66 if they do then the play will be identical assuming that the same rubber is used.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Cushions

Again I'm not here to bicker. The cushions do not play the same because there different. They each have there own characteristics in play. Everyone can have there opintion about the profiles & manufactures but there's no doubt about it, the cushions are not the SAME. < if that was the case, cushions would all the have the same profile measurements.
-Thank you for your understanding. I did not want your average joe to read the above in the future and assume all cushions are equal in application & playability.
-
You can not just pin up k55&k66.. You have to throw U23,U56,P59,etc...etc in the mix because there all different and you can only compare one to another... Who's to say what's rite or wrong....? Then why so many different profiles... Carom rubbers are not all alike either...

-
-
Thank you.
Rob.M
-

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The k66 is a pool cushion, k55 is a billiard cushion. Most like the way K55 play... Some company's switch from one profile to another.
Mainly the geometry of the rail will have the affect on the cushion..
Thats all for now. No reason for bickering'
-
Rob.M

Rob, if K55 is for billiard, would they bank shorter with lighter balls ( aka pool balls ) ?

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
OK .. let me ask it this way. What profile would a mechanic use *to build his own table* and why?

*...* edited for clarification 1/15/13

Last edited:

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
OK .. let me ask it this way. What profile would a mechanic use and why?

The profile that fits on the rails that I am working on. Different thickness subrails call for different profile cushions. You can not put k55 cushions on a Olhausen table for example with out a lot of extra work going into it. The subrails are just too thin.

Other than the Artemis Intercontinental cushions (k55) I don't see much difference in play between properly set up k55 and k66 rails. The Artemis cushions have a larger point that contacts the ball so I believe those play a little differently. More english can be transferred off the rail. When it comes to Diamond's black cushions (k55) and its k66 counter part, I doubt many players would be able to tell a difference.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK .. let me ask it this way. What profile would a mechanic use and why?

On what type of table?

It seems like you are asking the question, as if K66 and K55 cushions are interchangeable on the same table. They are not.

A smart mechanic would use K66 on a pocket table, because thats what should be on pretty much every modern (American) pocket table.

If you have a carom table, or if your table is older than say 1960, thats a different story...

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
-You can not just pin up k55&k66.. You have to throw U23,U56,P59,etc...etc in the mix because there all different and you can only compare one to another... Who's to say what's rite or wrong....? Then why so many different profiles?
-
-
Thank you.
Rob.M
-
I used K66/K55 because these are on most higher end tables. BTW, I edited my 2nd question to ask what a mechanic would use if they built their own table. I was just curious but FWIW I prefer the K55s on my Medalist and the Diamonds at the other Pool Halls.

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compression ratio ?

still won't change the bank angle. if i hit a ball harder it will compress the rail more but the angle of bank won't change. if there is no spin on the ball that is.

obviously a heavier ball at the same velocity will compress the rubber more, but the angle of return won't change .....

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
interesting...

let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion.

the only real difference between a K55 and a K66 cushion is that the K55 cushion is a tiny bit 'thicker' (and wider) than a K66.

as such, it can probably absorb a slightly harder impact, without a ball compressing the cushion to the point of knocking wood.

other than that, the "performance" of the two cushion profiles is designed to be, and SHOULD be, practically the same, when installed correctly, on the right type of rail.

why are different profiles needed to perform the same job?

simply put, because many table makers use a different "thickness" and width of rail. so, the wrong cushion installed on the wrong rail will result in the cushion nose being too high or too low. (very bad)

[ not only that, but a wrong profile cushion will make your playing field larger or smaller than it was designed to be (by up to an inch), which also changes the dimensions of your pocket openings ]

so its not really a matter of K66 versus K55 - its really a matter of: how thick and wide are my factory installed rails, and what is the angle of my subrail face. (where the cushion will be attached)

again: K55 and K66 cushions are NOT interchangeable on the same table. (without altering the rails)
when it was designed, your table was intended to have one or the other.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
interesting...

let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion.

the only real difference between a K55 and a K66 cushion is that the K55 cushion is a tiny bit 'thicker' (and wider) than a K66.

as such, it can probably absorb a slightly harder impact, without a ball compressing the cushion to the point of knocking wood.

other than that, the "performance" of the two cushion profiles is designed to be, and SHOULD be, practically the same, when installed correctly, on the right type of rail.

why are different profiles needed to perform the same job?

simply put, because many table makers use a different "thickness" and width of rail. so, the wrong cushion installed on the wrong rail will result in the cushion nose being too high or too low. (very bad)

[ not only that, but a wrong profile cushion will make your playing field larger or smaller than it was designed to be (by up to an inch), which also changes the dimensions of your pocket openings ]

so its not really a matter of K66 versus K55 - its really a matter of: how thick and wide are my factory installed rails, and what is the angle of my subrail face. (where the cushion will be attached)

again: K55 and K66 cushions are NOT interchangeable on the same table. (without altering the rails)
when it was designed, your table was intended to have one or the other.

That would be correct, also note that 1 1/2" thick sub-rails do NOT share the same nose height as rails that have thicker sub-rails such as 1 11/16"...even if the same model cushion profile is used;)

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking for K55 years ago and called the local Table Manufacturer. They told me there's no difference. They stocked K66. They told me to just put the rubber on up side down and I'd have K55. Needless to say I didn't go with them.

My question is on some tables such as Brunswick, shooting a 2 rail cross side bank the ball tends to back up or come straight off the second rail, where on other tables it continues in the same direction. In other words with less backup. This seems to be by Mfg, not table to table within a Mfg.

bobsbilliards

Registered
WOW, sorry to hear AZ allows people like this Rob.M to even speak! Absolutely nothing could be further from reality.

Rail profiles vary on manufacturer. Nose height, undercut pitch, leading arc of rubber and other variables. Even the rail core AND the core angle are factors.

I recommend AZ remove this BAD info post immediately so as not to further undercut it's reputation
Thanks, Bob Sharpe @ bobsbilliards.com

( Gabriels tables use a Kleber P37 cushion)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
WOW, sorry to hear AZ allows people like this Rob.M to even speak! Absolutely nothing could be further from reality.

Rail profiles vary on manufacturer. Nose height, undercut pitch, leading arc of rubber and other variables. Even the rail core AND the core angle are factors.

I recommend AZ remove this BAD info post immediately so as not to further undercut it's reputation
Thanks, Bob Sharpe @ bobsbilliards.com

( Gabriels tables use a Kleber P37 cushion)

6 year old thread Bob:thumbup: