Is there a vid of Nick beating Efren in the Philippines?

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't seem to find it on youtube.

If not, does anyone know the details?
Race
Money
Final score

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't seem to find it on youtube.

If not, does anyone know the details?
Race
Money
Final score
1990. Nick beat him bad, 60-31 for 30k. Nick bet his own $$$ iirc and Efren had 20-30 investors. Don't think there's any film/video that i know of.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies for the OT post, but look who was in my pool room this past weekend.

A real gentleman and a lot of fun to watch and talk to.

picture.php

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1990. Nick beat him bad, 60-31 for 30k. Nick bet his own $$$ iirc and Efren had 20-30 investors. Don't think there's any film/video that i know of.

Unless you had AccuStats or ESPN following you around back then there is not much chance of a video of matches being around. I think the early cell phones with even a camera never mind video ability was around the year 2000. Quite different from today when anyone with a cell phone can be a TV crew, even with decent audio for a few dollars for an external mic.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pic. He still play much?

He was there for a two day clinic. Friday afternoon/evening he played all comers for a donation to a military vets charity. I don’t know how often he really plays these days, but he didn’t lose more than 3 or 4 individual games all night.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've stopped in at his store in Owensboro twice in the last 3-4 weeks and missed him both times. Last week was when he was down in Florida.

As far as playing, he went to Evansville about a year ago and won an 8-Ball tournament. And there are some really good players in Evansville.

r/DCP

Katipunan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The match was filmed and was televised in the Philippines. I recorded it on VHS when I watched it living in the Philippines back then. Nick didn’t miss a ball. No longer have that VHS tape. They played in Ali Mall, the place was packed, you can hear the gambling happening at the back. I had the opportunity asking Nick about that match when I spoke to him at the US Open in VA a few years ago, according to Nick, he was in dead stroke.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Efren said he was embarrassed by that loss.
He avenged it in the 1994 US Open by beating Nick for the title.
Efren would go to the finals of USO 3 more times after that but lost in all of them.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was there for a two day clinic. Friday afternoon/evening he played all comers for a donation to a military vets charity. I don’t know how often he really plays these days, but he didn’t lose more than 3 or 4 individual games all night.

Where's your room?

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies for the OT post, but look who was in my pool room this past weekend.

A real gentleman and a lot of fun to watch and talk to.

picture.php

Well, hey Dave, but who's that fellow in the yellow?

J/K, thanks for all the answers guys.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there for the clinic and Nick is still playing well. He took challenge games of 9 ball and wasn't missing many. Mark Wilson joked about how much play Nick had put on his home table based on the cloth wear.

Enjoyed talking with Nick and getting some pointers from him.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick is one of the Greats as well as being a nice guy

I remember when asked why he lost (in an interview?), Efren said, " He never missed"......