Jb case size

Dchouinard

Registered
I am going to order/buy a JB case really soon. I have been looking at that for some time now and I want an ultimate rugged, but my question is should I buy the 2x5/3x4, or the 3x6. I will never own more than 3 complete cues and one extra shaft so 3x4 would be perfect but I have been told that’s it’s really snug when full like that, and I have been told just buy 3x6. But I still want the lightest smallest case to carry my cues. Which are my cue, my break cue, my wife’s cue, and a jump shaft(3x4). Anyone with either case care to give some advice??

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my 2x5/3x4 case. The fit is snug but that helps with my peace of mind. I use joint protectors to help get stuff out and keep it organized.

Last edited:

Dchouinard

Registered
Ok, the big reason I was leaning towards the 3x6 because seyberts has it in decent colors for like 220-230 and I could get it in a couple days. It would be better for me just to order one because I can get it any way I want, just might cost a few extra bucks and takes 2-3 weeks

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m really happy I ordered straight from JB. I got the exact colors I wanted and the changes I wanted. Got backpack straps, leather side handle, magnetic top pocket, and no top handle. It’s great.

Last edited:

Scrunge19

Registered
If it's any help, I ordered a 3x6 thinking that I'd never expect to need anything bigger. Fast forward 6 months and I'm already wishing I got the 4x8 lol.

That said, if you're going to for sure carry 3 butts, I'd get the 3x6. It really doesn't add much more weight or bulk but makes it much easier to put/take out all 3 cues. With the way the butts/shafts are arranged in the 2x5/3x6, it can be pretty tough to get everything in and out when storing 3 butts.

As a bonus, and this is probably true on the 2x5/3x4, I've found that you can actually store a jump cue butt in a shaft slot if it's pin down and a normal slim style jump handle. I put my 2 piece jump cue in a sleeve to make sure it doesn't slide down the case and haven't had any issues. So the extra shaft slots of the 3x6 will give you a little more flexibility if you end up picking up a dedicated jump cue butt to go with your shaft.

Dchouinard

Registered
Yeah, these are the options I have seen for both sides, some say the smaller one is perfect size and some say just get the bigger one because I am going to be carrying 3 butts and it’s easier to get them at. I do have a limit of 300 dollars on a case so that takes some of the custom options out, like I said the 3x6 from seyberts is 230, only thing that I don’t like is for 230 you don’t get the backpack straps. To get a case with the backpack straps I would have to order it and to stay right at 300 it would be my only custom option, because that’s what a basic model costs with backpack straps. All I know is I can’t wait to get a JB case,

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m glad I got the 3x6. Every now and then I bring an extra cue just because somebody wanted to see it or somesuch thing.

Better to have an extra space and not need it, than to need it and not have it…

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to order/buy a JB case really soon. I have been looking at that for some time now and I want an ultimate rugged, but my question is should I buy the 2x5/3x4, or the 3x6. I will never own more than 3 complete cues and one extra shaft so 3x4 would be perfect but I have been told that’s it’s really snug when full like that, and I have been told just buy 3x6. But I still want the lightest smallest case to carry my cues. Which are my cue, my break cue, my wife’s cue, and a jump shaft(3x4). Anyone with either case care to give some advice??

I am having JB make me a 2x4 interior for my 3x6 case. I would never fully load it. WAY too tight IMO, IU used it as a2x4 anyway

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use mine as a 3x4 with the joints up, tips and butts down. It is snug, but not an issue. I think that I pull a shaft first when unpacking, and load the center butt first, or at least before shafts when I'm packing up. I have a 3x6 for storage and I think it's also a great case. It has a little more room and isn't much larger.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd recommend the 3x6 from your two stated options. The exterior dimensions are negligibly larger. My first JB case was a 3x6 even though I had planned to buy a 2x4. After comparing the two side-by-side I got the 3x6. Best of luck whichever you choose.

Keith

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a 3x6 and perfectly happy with the size, past a 1x2 or something it's not that much larger and bulkier than the others and the extra space may be nice to have at some point, say you want to try a different shaft. In fact between me and my son we pretty much filled up two 3x6 cases and then some over time.

Just like with other things, you can always use less than what you have, but if you have less it's not so easy to get more. Buy a car that seats 5 but only carry 2? No problem. Bought a 2 seater and your wife found a girl to take home for a 3-some, you're out of luck. Have 10,000 in the bank but only need to use 1,000, great. Have 1,000 but want to get something for 2,000, not so great.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
That said, if you're going to for sure carry 3 butts, I'd get the 3x6. It really doesn't add much more weight or bulk but makes it much easier to put/take out all 3 cues. With the way the butts/shafts are arranged in the 2x5/3x6, it can be pretty tough to get everything in and out when storing 3 butts.

^^^This^^^

You've surely heard the old saying: It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Plus....the 3X6 really is not that much bigger nor is any more cumbersome than the 2X5/3X4. If you're not travelling to the pool hall on a motorcycle or carrying your case a really long distance, then the single strap should suffice. Hell, I got cases with BOTH types of straps but when I go through the pool hall's door I'm almost always carrying it by the handle. YMMV

Maniac

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
If it's any help, I ordered a 3x6 thinking that I'd never expect to need anything bigger. Fast forward 6 months and I'm already wishing I got the 4x8 lol.

As a bonus, and this is probably true on the 2x5/3x4, I've found that you can actually store a jump cue butt in a shaft slot if it's pin down and a normal slim style jump handle. I put my 2 piece jump cue in a sleeve to make sure it doesn't slide down the case and haven't had any issues. So the extra shaft slots of the 3x6 will give you a little more flexibility if you end up picking up a dedicated jump cue butt to go with your shaft.
I had the same situation as you. Except I doubled-down. I bought two 3x6 cases, only then to realize that to fit my extension, my jump cue shaft, and a couple extra shafts, that I was better with a 4x8. Now I have two 4x8 cases in different colors. :thumbup:

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
To the OP ... there is no right or wrong here. FWIW I have a 3x4 and absolutely love it. Karen and John are good to work with so that's another plus.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a 3x6, a 2x5/3x4, a 3x5, and a 2x4. Sold those and now I use 2x3 when I'm not using my 1x2. I don't need to carry all that chit to go play for a few hours. Took me a long time to figure that out.
I carry a piece of chalk, a Willards dime on my key ring and a Q-wiz in my wallet.

Last edited:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it helps...
The size and weight of an empty 3x6 vs an empty 3x5 Ultimate rugged is pretty much identical.
Why not have the extra space - only what you put in it will change the weight.
For pool cases, the best bang for the buck on the planet imo.
Good luck!

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I just ordered a JB Case. by some unexpected luck I ended up with a third cue. when I had my cheap starter cues my cheap 2x2 was good enough. Couldn't see spending more on a case than the sticks inside. I modified it as best I could when I upgraded my cues but now I definitely needed an upgrade. I may tend to over analyze some things, but I think it worked out for me. I am very impressed with how well the inside of the case is constructed so I knew I had to go with the JB. I started with the 3x6 Rugged, but then I started to consider the butterfly as a better option for me. Then I thought about it some more and figured the 4x8 is only an inch wider and I'll have room to expand if I want to. either way the butterfly is lighter and I have extra room to put things if I want.

Anyway I would say get the 3x6. If you only load it with what you have it won't be so tight, but the way the interior is it will still be protected and you will have the room to expand if you want.

For the back pack option you could just order a second strap and clip it on. It won't be exactly the same with two separate attachment point, but on a smaller case it should work the same.

Player: Pechauer P10-G (Purple)
Break: Pechauer JP12-Q (Black Ice Shaft on order)
Case 4x8 JB Butterfly (on order)