The Broken Rack - Emeryville - new location

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite rooms - The Broken Rack - recently moved from it's location in the Emeryville Public Market to a location a few blocks away in a larger building with ample parking. I stopped in to check it out and the new space is amazing. It's a huge space with very high ceilings and and a very fresh feel.

The tables play very well and they even added two Diamond pro tables (which I wasn't able to play on because they were occupied). The tables were put together by Ernesto and Oscar and they are playing GREAT. Much better than they used to at the old place and the pockets are a little bit tighter.

I had a hamburger which was very good and I just couldn't help myself I played for almost 6 hours! Oh, and the pool time was $4/hr until 5 pm during the week. A previous trip I had the mozzarella sticks and they were just the typical bar fare cheese sticks. Their salads looked good too but I didn't have one.

The only niggle for me was that I felt like the customer service overall was lackluster. Everybody was friendly but the first time I came there I had to wait a few minutes before someone acknowledged me and even though I got prompt service my second visit, I saw other people waiting at the front counter. And even some who waited, and then left without being served. I think training and focus on greeting everyone as soon as they walk in the door and when they approach the bar would correct this problem.

I also saw several customers show up and look around and leave. This pool hall is in an industrial/office park location and these were obviously employees in the neighborhood looking for a grab a drink after work and not feeling comfortable enough to stay. Maybe they were looking for more comfortable seating or more private seating (like booths??) I don't know and I hope that Wayne and Marilyn can figure out how to attract and keep those customers. It might be set up to cater to good players a little bit too much for casual customers. All the more reason for 'we the players' to show our appreciation!

Summary: This is a great room owned and managed by good, hardworking people and we should get out and support them. At least come see it and try the new tables. Also, they are having a pool tournament on Labor day so that would be a great excuse to get out and check it out!

The Broken Rack
thebrokenrack.com
5768 Peladeau St, Emeryville, CA
Facebook: www.facebook.com/brokenrack
Link to labor day 8-ball tourney: http://www.thebrokenrack.com/#!events/c66t

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Great place !!!

Is Alex still there?

I gambled with him once............ and regretted it....... Hahaha

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great place !!!

Is Alex still there?

I gambled with him once............ and regretted it....... Hahaha

Yes. He is still there. Saw him last time and it looks like he's still hitting them good.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the support peeps-this tournament filled up at 64 players! Irony is that I did not get to play because when I showed it was already full. :(

Oh well, I guess there is always next year.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Thanks for all the support peeps-this tournament filled up at 64 players! Irony is that I did not get to play because when I showed it was already full. :(

Oh well, I guess there is always next year.

That stinks big time. That is a great turnout for a Labor Day Monday. Amazing.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That stinks big time. That is a great turnout for a Labor Day Monday. Amazing.

Yes. It was a huge turnout and a lot of good players as well as a bunch just out showing their support. $20 entry and the house added $300. Not bad for a holiday Monday.

I can't help but think that my little ol' post on AZB tipped the scales...and I aced myself out. :)

I went and played golf instead. Glad I did, karma smiled on me and I shot 79.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
One of my favorite rooms - The Broken Rack - recently moved from it's location in the Emeryville Public Market to a location a few blocks away in a larger building with ample parking. I stopped in to check it out and the new space is amazing. It's a huge space with very high ceilings and and a very fresh feel.

The tables play very well and they even added two Diamond pro tables (which I wasn't able to play on because they were occupied). The tables were put together by Ernesto and Oscar and they are playing GREAT. Much better than they used to at the old place and the pockets are a little bit tighter.

I had a hamburger which was very good and I just couldn't help myself I played for almost 6 hours! Oh, and the pool time was $4/hr until 5 pm during the week. A previous trip I had the mozzarella sticks and they were just the typical bar fare cheese sticks. Their salads looked good too but I didn't have one.

The only niggle for me was that I felt like the customer service overall was lackluster. Everybody was friendly but the first time I came there I had to wait a few minutes before someone acknowledged me and even though I got prompt service my second visit, I saw other people waiting at the front counter. And even some who waited, and then left without being served. I think training and focus on greeting everyone as soon as they walk in the door and when they approach the bar would correct this problem.

I also saw several customers show up and look around and leave. This pool hall is in an industrial/office park location and these were obviously employees in the neighborhood looking for a grab a drink after work and not feeling comfortable enough to stay. Maybe they were looking for more comfortable seating or more private seating (like booths??) I don't know and I hope that Wayne and Marilyn can figure out how to attract and keep those customers. It might be set up to cater to good players a little bit too much for casual customers. All the more reason for 'we the players' to show our appreciation!

Summary: This is a great room owned and managed by good, hardworking people and we should get out and support them. At least come see it and try the new tables. Also, they are having a pool tournament on Labor day so that would be a great excuse to get out and check it out!

The Broken Rack
thebrokenrack.com
5768 Peladeau St, Emeryville, CA
Facebook: www.facebook.com/brokenrack
Link to labor day 8-ball tourney: http://www.thebrokenrack.com/#!events/c66t

Only need to correct you on one thing you said, I'm the one that sold them the second Diamond table, and moved, set up, and recovered them as well:grin:

PS, I also moved the billiard and snooker table over from the old location since I was there anyway so that Ernesto didn't have to move them once he got there, but I wasn't involved in setting any of the tables up other than the Diamonds, the rest of the table work was all Ernesto, and for the record we get along great, I even showed him a nice little time saving trick to repair the 51 broken off rail bolts that he had to repair...from everyone else working on the tables in the past.

Last edited:

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try and play there on Saturdays when I can. It’s a very nice room and the staff has always been personable and good when I’m there. My only gripe would be some of the lighting on a few tables could use an upgrade to get rid of the shadows. The Diamonds play very nice.