Warning PSA RE: Az'er Scruggsinhand

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
This is a Public Service Announcement regarding az member Scruggsinhand.

Over the past few days I have been negotiating a deal on a Scruggs cue with az'er Scruggsinhand.

Just prior to, and then again when we did come to a mutually agreed upon price, he began pressing me unreasonably that I must overnight him this cue and that he would mail me a money order at the same time.

I politely explained that I won't be shipping the cue until payment is received and he took another pass at me saying how he was going to be out of town for a week or so and didn't want the cue to arrive and sit unattended on his porch.

I reiterated that as much as I would like to do this deal with him, I won't ship the cue without it first being paid for. I added that I would be happy to send the cue at a time that would coincide with his return and he then fell off the radar.

I saw that his iTrader was 100% and was thinking maybe I'm being a little too rigid but something was bothering me about all this. But I thought I remembered reading something about this guy a while back where he did somebody wrong.

A quick search uncovered the following 11 page gem (see below) that shows how he has operated before.

Four quick things:

1. Thank you mods for leaving that very valuable thread up that serves as a cautionary tale. Very helpful indeed.

2. Anyone considering doing biz with this fellow, I would recommend that you read that thread first and proceed with appropriate caution.

3. After my reading all 11 pages of that thread, I know I will never do business with him under any circumstance.

4. After his past shenanigans, how is his iTrader still at 100%? :confused:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=36438&highlight=scruggsinhand+problem

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To quote that thread ''shady indeed''
Good on you for geting the information before the deal could have gone pear shaped:cool:

I was offered a trade by him a couple years ago,Glad i held onto my cue for the right buyer:wink:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just ask to get your cue before you ship his cue.

He did remidy his bad situation I understand. I took a few years but he made it right.
Nick :)

Last edited:

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've done deals with Brian & all went smooth. Too many amateur detectives can spoil the soup.LOL

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't have a great rep

You can't expect to have a cue shipped to you before you pay for it. You can ask.
Nick :)

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've shipped cues & vice versa with several credible forum members with no problem. Your WORD is golden.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I think I'd have to question the request and likely not send anything until payment was received but I would also like to point out that he issued cash refunds be it several years later.... Most truly dishonest people would never have done so....

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Here would have been a good way to handle this: He should have sent you the money, y'all should have swapped phone numbers via PM's, he should have called you when he KNEW which day he would arrive home, and the cue should have been sent to arrive on the day of or next day of his arrival home. Problem solved for both parties. He either was pulling something shady, or he really didn't want the cue all that badly!!!

Maniac

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For every shady deal, there are hundreds of great deals. All depends on who you deal with.

There are many many people on here that I would ship a cue to with not a second thought.

As well as many many that I would NOT!!

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I don't care if Jesus Christ wants a cue I have for sale, he is gonna pay before I ship it.

Last time I checked, nobody on this board had his credentials so they shouldn't expect to be treated any differently.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This is a Public Service Announcement regarding az member Scruggsinhand.

Over the past few days I have been negotiating a deal on a Scruggs cue with az'er Scruggsinhand.

Just prior to, and then again when we did come to a mutually agreed upon price, he began pressing me unreasonably that I must overnight him this cue and that he would mail me a money order at the same time.

I politely explained that I won't be shipping the cue until payment is received and he took another pass at me saying how he was going to be out of town for a week or so and didn't want the cue to arrive and sit unattended on his porch.

I reiterated that as much as I would like to do this deal with him, I won't ship the cue without it first being paid for. I added that I would be happy to send the cue at a time that would coincide with his return and he then fell off the radar.

I saw that his iTrader was 100% and was thinking maybe I'm being a little too rigid but something was bothering me about all this. But I thought I remembered reading something about this guy a while back where he did somebody wrong.

A quick search uncovered the following 11 page gem (see below) that shows how he has operated before.

Four quick things:

1. Thank you mods for leaving that very valuable thread up that serves as a cautionary tale. Very helpful indeed.

2. Anyone considering doing biz with this fellow, I would recommend that you read that thread first and proceed with appropriate caution.

3. After my reading all 11 pages of that thread, I know I will never do business with him under any circumstance.

4. After his past shenanigans, how is his iTrader still at 100%? :confused:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=36438&highlight=scruggsinhand+problem

Best,
Brian kc

Brian Kickin Chicken is good people and totally trustworthy.

If this comes up again Brian and you want to use me for escrow, I'll do it for nothing. Whoever can send me the payment payable to you and when I have it, you ship. Then when he says the cue is received and OK, I'll send the payment to you.

I've done this for others a couple of times and it worked fine. It costs no more than a postage stamp.

Scruggsinhand cannot expect trust any longer.

Chris

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It took over three years for Brian and Thomsen to get their money back! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! Maybe this guy (Scruggsinhand) had three years of bad karma before it finally got to him. I sure hope so.

By the way, if anyone has it, I would like his personal information (name etc.) in case I should run into him (PM please). I would have no problem outing him anywhere, anytime. Somewhere on the thread I read about him being in the Los Angeles area. I did see his photo on the thread, thanks for that.

Perhaps there should be a stickie on AZ (maybe at the top of the Wanted/for Sale section) about unscrupulous people to deal with on here. After all we do have a Good Action list on the Action section. Personally I've bought and sold dozens of cues on here and not had a serious problem yet. There have been a few minor issues with damaged goods but they were taken care of. I've also shipped out nearly 2,000 books with only two complaints. One was a damaged book and one said the book never came, although I did get a Delivery Confirmation. Both parties received refunds from me.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Brian Kickin Chicken is good people and totally trustworthy.

If this comes up again Brian and you want to use me for escrow, I'll do it for nothing. Whoever can send me the payment payable to you and when I have it, you ship. Then when he says the cue is received and OK, I'll send the payment to you.

I've done this for others a couple of times and it worked fine. It costs no more than a postage stamp.

Scruggsinhand cannot expect trust any longer.

Chris

Chris;

That is incredibly kind of you, Sir, but I'm not sure I could let you do one more thing for me, for no charge. A man has his limits! :wink:

FWIW, in this case, an offer to escrow would not have made much difference. This guy was simply determined for me to send the cue straight to him, overnight, while he mailed me a money order.

After having all the problems he did which were well documented in the 11 page thread, it takes a big pair of brass ones to press someone to send you a cue and to take his word that payment will be forthcoming.

And for those who say he can't be all that bad since he made good, even if it took a few years, to them I say put yourselves in the shoes of the guys he strung along for all that time. How would you have enjoyed that? Having to check in here to keep asking if anyone has heard from him, calling Laurie Franklin to see what she may know, looking into legal recourse. Who needs that crap?

One statement from Scruggsinhand himself on that thread when responding to poolchady's obvious concerns, for me, was very telling. It went something like this:

'Time really flies when you're sitting there waiting for something to arrive.' This was accompanied by a grinning face emoticon.

Some people are simply not worth the bother to do biz with. He has earned his way into that category, IMO.

Plain and simple, I experienced for myself that this guy might be getting ready to revert back to his old ways, so I felt an obligation to alert fellow az'ers.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
It took over three years for Brian and Thomsen to get their money back! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! Maybe this guy (Scruggsinhand) had three years of bad karma before it finally got to him. I sure hope so.

By the way, if anyone has it, I would like his personal information (name etc.) in case I should run into him (PM please). I would have no problem outing him anywhere, anytime. Somewhere on the thread I read about him being in the Los Angeles area. I did see his photo on the thread, thanks for that.

Perhaps there should be a stickie on AZ (maybe at the top of the Wanted/for Sale section) about unscrupulous people to deal with on here. After all we do have a Good Action list on the Action section. Personally I've bought and sold dozens of cues on here and not had a serious problem yet. There have been a few minor issues with damaged goods but they were taken care of. I've also shipped out nearly 2,000 books with only two complaints. One was a damaged book and one said the book never came, although I did get a Delivery Confirmation. Both parties received refunds from me.

Hi Jay;

I also like the sticky idea.

His name is Brian Artrip which was posted in that thread.

I have pm'd you his contact info that you requested. It's what he provided me for where he wanted the cue shipped.

In Indiana.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thief07080423.jpg

http://www.mugshotsonline.com/ohio/toledo/brian-m-artrip/25671411

Last edited: