Best Cue Ball

Will Maynard

Registered
It's time to replace my cue ball. What is the best quality cue ball that I can get individually, I am using Super Aramyth Pro Balls.
Thanks

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
that one of theirs with the squiggly logo on it that costs about 20 bucks or so.

but all balls even the cheap ones after playing with them for a little bit you wont tell the difference.

Will Maynard

Registered
Thanks for you quick replay,
How does the measle ball stack up for quality compared to what you suggest? It costs about $36.

that one of theirs with the squiggly logo on it that costs about 20 bucks or so.

but all balls even the cheap ones after playing with them for a little bit you wont tell the difference.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the aramith measles is a nice ball
I use a knockoff but my friend I play with has one
it plays good and fair, nice balance
It looks good..stays cleaner than my knockoff
if I were shopping for a cue ball
I would seriously consider it

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The Red Circles that come with Diamond Smart tables are the cleanest balls in our room.
...and they’re a few years old.
Chalk seems to embed in our measle balls fairly quickly.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
matching ball

I would buy the cue ball that matches your set unless you are going to compete where the measle ball is used. I have one of the quality measle balls. I don't use it because it rolls long. Long enough to mess up my position play when I swap back to the red circle cue balls my favorite hall uses. Three rails it rolls about eighteen inches, two feet longer.

Hu

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The Red Circles that come with Diamond Smart tables are the cleanest balls in our room.
...and they’re a few years old.
Chalk seems to embed in our measle balls fairly quickly.

Those Red Circles must have come separately, no? They have never been a part of any set of balls that I'm aware of. They come in a box of 16, and are always sold in a plastic bag, individually.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's time to replace my cue ball. What is the best quality cue ball that I can get individually, I am using Super Aramyth Pro Balls.
Thanks

I think it depends on whether you're just playing at home or playing out in "the wild."

If you're just at home either the Red Circle or Measles will be fine. If you're playing outside the confines of your home I'd recommend the RC because that's what you're most likely to see in the pool rooms.

There are a lot of counterfeits out there. If you buy the MCB it should be one that comes in a blister pack. The RC you need to buy from a reputable dealer that lists it as an Aramith product.

Lou Figueroa

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The MOST important factor to consider is : 1. Are all the balls in your set a uniform weight? 2. the cue ball needs to match the weight of the balls in your set as closely as possible- because : if the cue ball you buy is heavier than the existing set- it will draw less and follow More than it should- and if the cue ball is lighter than the set balls- it will draw too much and not follow as well- simple physics-

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The MOST important factor to consider is : 1. Are all the balls in your set a uniform weight? 2. the cue ball needs to match the weight of the balls in your set as closely as possible- because : if the cue ball you buy is heavier than the existing set- it will draw less and follow More than it should- and if the cue ball is lighter than the set balls- it will draw too much and not follow as well- simple physics-

The cue balls all weigh 168 grams new. Light or heavy new cue balls is a myth. On the other hand, a very worn cue ball with an old set will get lighter quicker, with use. The difference in performance is the different compounds used among the cue balls.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Ball Red Circle Weight.jpg
    Ball Red Circle Weight.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 553
  • Ball Measle Weight.jpg
    Ball Measle Weight.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 551

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does the measle ball stack up for quality compared to what you suggest? It costs about $36.

If you ask me, the measle balls suck...even the expensive ones.

I have played with one for the last few times I've played because that is what my friend has and prefers to play with. As soon as he comes to my table to play, he throws his cue ball on the table and puts mine in the tray.

FWIW, it seems all the measle balls I've played with are "larger" than the object balls. It may partly be an "optical" illusion, but I don't think so. Maybe it is because the object balls have been played for so long that they are worn down some.

Also, the measle ball seems to be made of a "different" material than the object balls and it seems to be "glassier" or "slicker" than other cue balls.

I use a red triangle and it plays much "heavier" than the measle ball. You have to put more "oomph" in your stroke to get the same amount of action that you can get on the measle ball with a lesser stroke. The measle ball is way easier to draw than my cue ball, too. Almost every player who plays with my cue ball says it plays "heavy".

I think that is the reason everybody likes the measle balls. They are easy to spin. The red circle cue balls are easier to spin, too. I'm not a "spinner", unless I want to spin and I think I get more "ball feel" with the heavier ball.

I've heard a lot of pros say they don't like them, but most tournament use them so they have no choice but to play with them.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The Aramith Measle is the same weight as the Aramith Super; 168 grams, 5.9 ounce. If you're going to look at red circle, there are a few makers and the ones I've seen are lighter (5.6 ounce) for lower tier sets.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
the aramith measles is a nice ball
I use a knockoff but my friend I play with has one
it plays good and fair, nice balance
It looks good..stays cleaner than my knockoff
if I were shopping for a cue ball
I would seriously consider it

One more vote for the Aramith measles ball.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Aramith Measle is the same weight as the Aramith Super; 168 grams, 5.9 ounce. If you're going to look at red circle, there are a few makers and the ones I've seen are lighter (5.6 ounce) for lower tier sets.

There are NOT “a few makers” of a genuine Aramith red circle ball - only Aramith. Stay away from cheap knockoffs. As has been stated, a new genuine Aramith red circle ball will weigh right at 168 grams.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would go with the Aramith Measles Ball. It weighed the same as the balls in my Centennial set
& the Centennial cue ball. I’m accustomed to using it so I actually now prefer it to an all white version.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody know which CB came with late 80's-early 90's Centennials? That thing played great.