Richard Black Shop Robbed

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to hear this> Being from NY originally and growing up exposed to a lot of street crime- I have always been super careful once I started collecting cues- my collection is now down to only five customs, but they are locked away in a bolted safe and the home is alarmed and monitored at all times- And my all time favorite player and colllection cue is, in fact, the Richard Black Split Diamond cue that I bought directly from Richard in 2003. I am so sensitive to crime that, when in a billiard establishment or even in a bar with one of my sneaky- they go to the bathroom with me. I ALWAYS worry that my case may be missing when i get back to the table. I am sorry for his loss- but I think any high end cue maker needs to secure the work environment like Ft. Knox - Bolted steel entry ways- monitored alarms, monitored cameras, no window access, at a minimum.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would hope the police could follow the clues to tell if this was a random smash and grab, or did it seem like they targeted the valuable pool related products as well. I wonder if they thought the compressor and gear was the main target, and the cues were just there and they took them out of convenience?
What other signs would lead to this being a pool community thief? The taking of specific finished cues would lead me to believe this was someone with pool knowledge.

Either way, horrible news and I’m sorry to hear this happened. A man’s shop is his sanctuary and this will hurt that solace Mr. Black found there.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Pictures of the three one of a kind cues by Scott Gilmore would be good to post....
...if possible.
The Richard Black cue pics are not as traceable...I have a ‘92 Black that is similar.

My sympathy to Mr Black....it’s not just the financial loss, it’s the feeling of being violated.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It definitely sounds like someone who had been to the shop over those previous couple of months. It is very unlikely they would take all that risk without knowing what was in there. I would make a list of everybody who had been in the shop those last couple of months. The list would most likely contain the name.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine- Balabushka worked out of his Garage in Brooklyn NY in the mid 60s- no break ins! My, have times changed! He probably had a simple lock on the door that a child could have opened. And he shipped his cues US mail - no insurance- COD- and they all arrived- younger people here probably don't know what COD represents- the mail guy had to collect cash on delivery, or it got sent back.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
could be any thieves. most would only take finished cues.

black had lots of pictures of his estate on his website. anyone looking could see he was rich and old and had valuables. prime for the taking. he was very lucky it wasnt a home invasion and got the two of them hurt or killed.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad, sad news, sorry Mr. Black. As other members have mentioned, inside job. Someone knew your daily schedule or that you were out of town. I would think, all the items they took would have required 2/3 thieves working fast with a box trailer.

Perhaps someone on road/street leading to your home had a video camera or a 'ring' doorbell that could have captured such a vehicle heading up and back on the roadway ?

At least you are safe. Good luck getting your items returned and bringing thieves to the justice they deserve. You know we all will keep our eyes open for you.

-Kat,

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
could be any thieves. most would only take finished cues.

black had lots of pictures of his estate on his website. anyone looking could see he was rich and old and had valuables. prime for the taking. he was very lucky it wasnt a home invasion and got the two of them hurt or killed.

I doubt there are a lot of home invasions in states like Tx. and here in Fl.- what a pleasure now for me to live in a state where you are actually ALLOWED to defend yourself and your property in your own home - most homeowners have weapons in these states and are prepared to use them. Back in Ct. you actually are Not considered a victim if someone invades your home and you do not attempt to RETREAT from any available door to the outside- a sick ruling from the liberal class. Try that one on for size next time someone breaks into your home when you ARE home- NOT ME!

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i hate thieves . and when you are famous for something you gotta have a security system in place. , in 2020 everyone should have one .

this was a planned attack . and more then 2 people were involved . more involved the better . someone will do the wrong thing and busted .

plus he needs to go back and check phone calls and records , as most people planning something like this call to ask questions or even come by . im betting he knows them . or met them

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Don't forget to check ebay...it's got to be the world's largest fencing operation...

Spot on about a rollaway full of tools. Even empty, the sections of my Craftsman rollaway are heavy. Full of tools? I doubt even an olympic weight lifter could lift off the top chest...had to be more than one thief. Hope they get nailed...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Richard have two shops?

One at his old place and one at his new place?

If so, which one got robbed?

Mr. Dogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious: What is the vacuum pump used for?
Just for fun, I'll guess: To pull bubbles out of finish. (?)

BTW:
There ain't much in this world that I hate any worse than a GD THIEF!! … of ANY kind; even the kind I read about just a while ago - The guy said he steals money back from people he lost to. WHAT A POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsalazar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BTW:
There ain't much in this world that I hate any worse than a GD THIEF!! … of ANY kind; even the kind I read about just a while ago - The guy said he steals money back from people he lost to. WHAT A POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More than likely it was used to stabilize wood.

Here's a visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebhmyePBR7s

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues are in a dumpster.

They wanted the ‘other stuff’. Maybe get 2 grand for it.

These aren’t pros. Wouldn’t have taken the radio and other non saleable things.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BTW:

More likely used to hold down inlay material

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Richard have two shops?

One at his old place and one at his new place?

If so, which one got robbed?

The old shop, which he "donated" to his assistant with the provision that he could use anything when he needed to, was the one broken into.

I believe Richard does use both shops to complete cues but I have never been to his new home to know what he does there.