A bit about me and my 35yr roundabout journey to a custom cue

painfullyslow

Registered
Hey all!

First I would like to thank all the contributors here for such a great forum. I am a 'new user' but have been reading these forums for the past several years and have taken advantage of the wealth of information here.

I thought it would be a good idea to take this opportunity to reflect on my past and what has brought me to where I am now so this is going to be long and not all pool related so if that kind of stuff bores you, this is your chance to skip. You have been warned :wink:

My introduction to billiards came a ways back in '85 as a young punk who discovered that the local video arcade also had 20 gold crowns. I am/was a geek and so loved anything that was physics/geometry related (more on that later) and found that $5 for a pool table provided a lot more entertainment than $5 in the arcade.

I bought my first personal cue: a whippy Meucci that was probably worse-off than the house wood but at least it was consistent.

I began playing with a few friends which lasted about a year until I discovered that I was more interested in taking the game seriously than they were and so my $5/day for a pool table turned into learning the only way you could back before the internet and youtube videos...at $10/rack of one-pocket from one of the local sharks.

I have a bit of a competitive side to me and so it really forced me to pay attention to the multiple whippings that I took from 'Frenchie' as he was called so I learned fairly quickly. I would play a match, lose badly, then retreat to my own table to go over what I had just witnessed and try to figure out what I had done wrong. Information was not free back then and there was no one offering 'tips' to the new guys.

Over the next year or so I began playing other people and am sad to say that I got hustled more than a few times as I was learning but at least I was improving with every match. This really upset me as I dislike anyone taking advantage of another...more on that later as well.

I went through a bunch of different cues back then...multiple Meuccis with a few Vikings thrown in, etc. I did not have a lot of $ so I was constantly trading to try to find something that would make me 'play better'...yes, I was an idiot.

Fast forward a little bit to I think 1988 when I managed to win a high end Schon and J. Flowers case at a state level tournament. I had never played with such good equipment and the hit was fantastic to me at the time. I would stick with this cue/case until 2001 when I 'retired'.

During that time I continued to improve, winning some local tournaments and I eventually ended up what I call a 'counter-hustler'. I would travel to a pool hall, play down and wait to be approached and then try to beat the hustler. It didn't always work in my favor but more often than not I came out ahead. The flaw to this was obviously difficult to keep word from getting around so I would only be able to visit the same place a few times so I found myself traveling further from home for tournamets/matches.

I also went back to where I first learned to shoot pool and played Frenchie in a one-pocket match, finally beating him for the first time. I took my $10 proudly and he proclaimed that he wouldn't play me again. That crafty bugger had probably taken $1k from me in the past years, $10 at a time, and quit me after one match!

Anyway, in 2001 I quit pool to focus on my other passion: motorcycle riding. I had been riding since before I could walk and recently discovered riding at racetracks which eventually led me to taking up amateur and then professional racing.

There was simply not enough time or money for both hobbies (tires are expensive!) and so I committed what I now know to be a horrible sin: I sold my Schon and case to someone who was going to use them, figuring that I would not be playing pool again. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish that I still had them now!

I continued racing in my local circuits and had finally registered for my professional premier in Moto America (the Pro racing organization here in the USA) until one fateful day in 2017 when an old woman in a Buick decided to end my racing career only three months before my pro race by turning directly into me one one of the very rare times that I rode on the streets.

I t-boned into her car broadside at about ~40mph. She literally turned 10 feet in front of me and I had almost no time to react. Thank god for my racing experience and the necessity for making instant decisions. Knowing that there was no way to avoid the collision I began to stand up on the pegs, figuring it was better to go over the car than through it which I am told saved my life. The impact went straight through my hands as I flipped over the car, shattering both wrists and hands into a giant mess.

I underwent 6 surgeries over the next 18 months trying to repair all the damage, and after multiple bone grafts and attempts to fix nerve damage, I am left with a right hand that functions at about 50% and a left hand at about 10%. I have almost no sensation in my left hand at all but my left wrist is in constant pain. My left did not heal straight and so my hand sits at an awkward angle and is difficult/painful for me to move.

As you can imagine, I was pretty depressed as I lost my career and my passion all at once. After moping around for a good long while in self-pity I finally was advised to get out of the house and do things again...so after some research I discovered that there were pool leagues now and so I took up a cue for the first time in 17 years as a means of attempting to rehabilitate my hands and get me back out into the world.

I joined an APA league in late 2018 while still in a cast from my latest surgery and while I cannot say that I actually love league play (I much prefer tournaments/matches) at least it does force me to become more social and it eased me back into playing pool.

Needing a cue and not being sure that I would stick with it, I was unwilling to shell out for a higher end Schon so I settled on a Pechauer that was on clearance as from what I had read, the hit was similar and it is what I am still shooting with today, although I had discovered the 'new thang' of low deflection shafts and had picked one up to try. I found that I liked it and so I am still using that as well.

In the beginning it was extremely frustrating and challenging for me as I couldn't even form a decent bridge with my left hand. The knowledge was still there, but I am not always able to make my hands do what I tell them. Consequently I would make an amazing multi-rail bank shot and then miss a duck 1' from the pocket because my hand twitched mid-stroke...which is still an issue to this day.

Anyway, finally getting near the good part. I have played in league for the past two years now and have begun playing in the few local tournaments that I can manage to find. Two hallmark events took place which brought me to the final point of this long, rambling thread: I turned 50 and I also recently sold my racebike which provided a good chunk of cash to play around with so I decided that I deserved to finally get myself a custom cue.

Although I had been playing for a while, off and on, I had actually shot with a shockingly low number of cues so I began asking around at the local pool hall and doing a lot of research/reading here about various cuemakers. Everything that I had played with was steel joint and although it worked for me, I know that the better players use other materials in their joints which supposedly provides a lot better feel and feedback. I was lucky enough to meet a few better shooters at one of the bigger tournaments around here and they were kind enough to let me try their cues. The hit was significantly softer than what I was accustomed to and although it felt strange, it also felt good.

Over the past few months I had begun looking for someone to make me a cue as I had a pretty solid idea of what I wanted but after multiple attempts with various cuemakers I could not find anyone that would be able to commit to making one for me within the next year or so...so I turned to trying to find what I wanted already made.

I tend to me a fairly simple, traditional kind of guy so a few points, not overly decorated, and a linen wrap (yeah, I know everyone wants leather now. It isn't for me). I am a complete sucker for pretty wood and specifically love amboyna burl, having used it for something else in the past. Finding that exact cue took quite a while but I finally hit the jackpot just a few days ago. After several weeks I had tracked down a Carmeli meeting those requirements through multiple hands and have made the purchase, now waiting anxiously for it to arrive. The pictures aren't the best but you get the idea. I will post more once I get it into my greedy little hands.

EORc7dJ.jpg

qeoE0Fq.jpg

Figuring that since I am making such a drastic change from what I am accustomed to, I know that my game is going to tank while I adjust to the new cue so I figured that now is the time to jump to a carbon fiber shaft as well. I am not one to jump on a 'fad' so after a lot of research and finally trying one at my local hall I pulled the trigger on a Cuetec Cynergy 15k with a Kamui medium clear black tip which is what I currently use.

I can definitely say that I like the look of a traditional wood shaft but dings drive me crazy which is finally what pushed me to try the CF shaft. Who knows, if I don't like it I will just sell it and move to a more traditional LD wood shaft.

My hands are killing me from typing this all out so I think I will go rest them for a bit but thank you if you managed to make it this far into such a long, rambling post!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Nice cue.

I rode street bikes for many years off and on. Seemed I'd feel my luck ran out and I'd sell my bike, just to buy another a year later or so.

I sold the last bike because it was the unluckiest bike I ever had. First week I picked up a nail in the rear tire, first summer a piece of concrete kicked up off the road and put a rasp in the fairing and on and on. I never got in an accident with it luckily. My need for speed finally subsided and I haven't road again.

At least you're still walking, I've heard of guys who get in that accident and do to their knees what you did to your hands.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of pool and the forum painfullyslow. Can still be dangerous but if you keep your wits about you, it should be fine.

Oh yeah, don't use the words jackpot and cue in the same sentence.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice story and a beautiful cue! A CF shaft would look very cool on that cue. I could related to one part of your story as I was on a motorcycle cruising down a residential street when a woman drove right into me as she turned into her driveway. I suffered relatively minor damage compared to your accident, just some ligament damage in my knee and various scrapes and bruises. I still recall her running over to me as I clutched my knee in agony and asking me, "Are you hurt?" :D

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if this is a conservative not overly fancy cue
it must at least be fancy enough to please any living pool player

it is nice

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome aboard. Great story, and I hope your cue finds it's way safely to you.
Best regards.
Joe P

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful cue! I can relate to the preference of linen over leather. I’m going take a leather wrapped cue for a test drive in a few days. I’m trying to keep an open mind but I’m a wrappless fan and have had a linen wrapped player.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good choice. you will like the carmeli. I own a few and they are consistent from cue to cue.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Stellar introduction, welcome to AZB forums.
While reading your post, I was thinking your journey is not as far afield from many others on here as you might think.
Very nice looking cue. Super woods, design and construction. You will like it.
Glad you are here. Post often, have fun, pick up the finer points of the game.
Will Prout

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for an excellent post
thoughtful and well-written
slow, I get..
welcome to the azb fray!
enjoy the game:cool:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sounds like a great cue!

That does sound like a great cue. I also agree with the idea if you are going to make changes might as well make them all at once. Hard to say how long it will take you to adjust, might be surprisingly fast or painfully slow. The best shooting cue I ever played with was brutal for the first few months, we didn't get along together at all. However it was worth the trouble. Other times major changes were easy to adapt to.

Changes to lower deflection are a lot easier to adjust to than higher deflection so I predict maybe a hundred hours or less of table time.

About the motorcycle wreck, I am sure you have heard all of this before but it could have been a lot worse! Sucks to have your hands and wrists messed up but I saw a motorcycle t-bone a Ford LTD, one of the old seventy-two model tanks. I walked out and looked to see if there was anything I could do. The rider was still breathing but he was dead. Two jagged holes in his chest, another in one side of his neck, the other side of his neck was torn away including the artery. I sold my street bike because of little old ladies. Look you dead in the eye and still come over on top of you. Motorcycles don't register when they are looking for cars and trucks.

Great early post!
Hu

painfullyslow

Registered
Nice cue.

I rode street bikes for many years off and on. Seemed I'd feel my luck ran out and I'd sell my bike, just to buy another a year later or so.

I sold the last bike because it was the unluckiest bike I ever had. First week I picked up a nail in the rear tire, first summer a piece of concrete kicked up off the road and put a rasp in the fairing and on and on. I never got in an accident with it luckily. My need for speed finally subsided and I haven't road again.

At least you're still walking, I've heard of guys who get in that accident and do to their knees what you did to your hands.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of pool and the forum painfullyslow. Can still be dangerous but if you keep your wits about you, it should be fine.

Oh yeah, don't use the words jackpot and cue in the same sentence.

Thanks for the welcome! I am sorry to hear that you had such bad luck with your bikes but glad you were able to escape without an accident on it. I understand the need for speed but personally I was the slowest, most sane rider on the road. After doing 200mph on a racebike, doing 50 on a back road just doesn't scratch any itch that I might have. Riding was my 'zen', just a chance to go out in complete peace from the world around me.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the vernacular...is that some bad juju thing or is there an actual reason for it?

Nice story and a beautiful cue! A CF shaft would look very cool on that cue. I could related to one part of your story as I was on a motorcycle cruising down a residential street when a woman drove right into me as she turned into her driveway. I suffered relatively minor damage compared to your accident, just some ligament damage in my knee and various scrapes and bruises. I still recall her running over to me as I clutched my knee in agony and asking me, "Are you hurt?" :D

Hi Bill and I hope you are right, I am pretty keen on aesthetics so I hope that CF shaft looks at home there. At least this way I can have the original shafts in great shape if I ever decide to resell (very doubtful). Glad you were able to (eventually) walk away from your accident. I hope there was no lasting damage?

if this is a conservative not overly fancy cue
it must at least be fancy enough to please any living pool player

it is nice

Thanks Deanoc. I guess compared to the other cues that I see out there, that seems to be on the lower end of the scale in terms of both price and inlays. No leather wrap, etc.

Welcome aboard. Great story, and I hope your cue finds it's way safely to you.
Best regards.
Joe P

Thanks JoeP! I hope so too! I am definitely anxious to get it into my own hands.

Beautiful cue! I can relate to the preference of linen over leather. I’m going take a leather wrapped cue for a test drive in a few days. I’m trying to keep an open mind but I’m a wrappless fan and have had a linen wrapped player.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Hey there JazzboxBlues! I am finding that those who prefer linen are definitely in a minority, at least around here but I did try leather on a couple of cues and it just not feel right to me. I am sure that I could adjust to it, but why if what I already like works fine? I do encourage you (and everyone) to try new things but for me at least, this is one of those cases where newer is not necessarily better. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the leather wrap!

Good choice. you will like the carmeli. I own a few and they are consistent from cue to cue.

Hi Ty Arnold, and thank you. I decided to go AC specifically because of recommendations like the one you posted above. It is almost impossible to find anyone to speak poorly of one. I am not looking forward to the adjustment period but I know it is a necessary evil that will eventually land me in a better place.

Stellar introduction, welcome to AZB forums.
While reading your post, I was thinking your journey is not as far afield from many others on here as you might think.
Very nice looking cue. Super woods, design and construction. You will like it.
Glad you are here. Post often, have fun, pick up the finer points of the game.
Will Prout

Hi Will and thank you for the welcome. It was the amboyna on that cue that sold me and I would have been happy if it were just the amboyna and ebony without the inlays or veneers as I find that wood simply that attractive.

I am certain that my story is not unique; everyone has a path that brought them to where we are now which is one of the aspects of pool that I like. The people you meet, their own stories...it makes for some interesting times when meeting new people at the hall. Thank you for the advice as well. I am definitely a student of the game and due to my physical condition, I feel like my knowledge far outweighs my execution at this point. Hopefully in time that will change.

thanks for an excellent post
thoughtful and well-written
slow, I get..
welcome to the azb fray!
enjoy the game:cool:

Hi Evergruven and thanks for the feedback! Slow is definitely my status currently but the name actually comes from my racing days; it is what I used on the various motorcycling forums for a very long time. As I was learning the craft I once described myself as 'painfully slow' when compared to the top riders at the time. It stuck. I actually won a championship in 2015 and I still felt like I was painfully slow. I think it always inspired me to continue reaching higher.

That does sound like a great cue. I also agree with the idea if you are going to make changes might as well make them all at once. Hard to say how long it will take you to adjust, might be surprisingly fast or painfully slow. The best shooting cue I ever played with was brutal for the first few months, we didn't get along together at all. However it was worth the trouble. Other times major changes were easy to adapt to.

Changes to lower deflection are a lot easier to adjust to than higher deflection so I predict maybe a hundred hours or less of table time.

About the motorcycle wreck, I am sure you have heard all of this before but it could have been a lot worse! Sucks to have your hands and wrists messed up but I saw a motorcycle t-bone a Ford LTD, one of the old seventy-two model tanks. I walked out and looked to see if there was anything I could do. The rider was still breathing but he was dead. Two jagged holes in his chest, another in one side of his neck, the other side of his neck was torn away including the artery. I sold my street bike because of little old ladies. Look you dead in the eye and still come over on top of you. Motorcycles don't register when they are looking for cars and trucks.

Great early post!
Hu

Hi Hu and thank you for the response! I see what you did there, but hopefully this will not be an entirely painfully slow adjustment process but I suppose we shall see. Like you must have been, I am certain that whatever time it takes will be time well spent in the end.

As for the crash, yes, it could have been worse. The attending surgeon at the ER told me that there was close to an 80% mortality rate in those kinds of crashes. Although I have no idea of the truth to that number, your own experience does lend some credence to it. I am sorry that you had to witness such a thing, those memories tend to stick with us.

It is simply a cruel irony that after many years of racing motorcycles (and crashing them...its a part of the sport) that I would finally be done in by an old lady on the street, when I literally would ride less then 10 times per year on public roads. Still I suppose in riding for over 40 years, this was my only street accident so I guess I cannot complain.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome and advice offered here. I am looking forward to many more years of being here and hopefully improving my game alongside you all.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Thanks for the welcome! I am sorry to hear that you had such bad luck with your bikes but glad you were able to escape without an accident on it. I understand the need for speed but personally I was the slowest, most sane rider on the road. After doing 200mph on a racebike, doing 50 on a back road just doesn't scratch any itch that I might have. Riding was my 'zen', just a chance to go out in complete peace from the world around me.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the vernacular...is that some bad juju thing or is there an actual reason for it?
I only had bad luck with the last bike. All the ones before ran perfect.

I grew up in a town w strict police. I learned to ride very conservative. I'd bust it open once and awhile in certain places and just during the day, when I could see well down the road. I've seen plenty of 150+mph, especially when that state cop thought he was gonna pull me over. I don't have to go fast anymore to enjoy a bike ride, never did really but it was still fun.

I crashed my first bike when I was 18. Came over a hill doing the speed limit and a lady was in an old car with no brake lights or turn signals, at a stop making a left. I locked it up, rookie mistake, front end was a circus act and I let off the brakes, sure as sh!t, down she went and I'm sliding into the back of the car. I didn't get hurt other than a friction burn through my leather.

If you want to know I'll let you search "Jackpot".

The Carmeli is a beautiful cue. One of the first higher priced cues I really like the looks of their designs. I'm undecided about leather wrap, never tried one. I too, like wrapless cues.