Chalk test, pictures and thoughts on different chalks.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have accumulated a small collection of different chalks over time and today I finally got around to testing them all to compare them. I took a few pictures for your curiousitys sake and to keep tabs how I liked wich chalk. Here is what I came up with after trying more than a dozen of different chalks.

Here is the line up of chalks tried today;

- Kamui 1.21
- Master Sky blue
- Master Blue
- Master Preflag blue
- OB
- Blue Diamond
- Magic Chalk
- Venom
- CUEL
- Triangle Pro chalk (only available in green)
- Triangle blue
- NIR
- Predator 1080
- Molinari

- Navigator

(* tested after the initial test on a different day)

I put each and everyone of them through the following testing action:
The test tips are a Taom 2.0 jump and break tip in green and a Milkdud tip as a leather playing tip. Both have been played with for a long time and I did not scuff either tip to provide a consistent testing basis. This is exactly how my tips look when I play so that is what I tested with.
First I wiped both tips clean of any previous chalk to give the chalk a clean surface to take on. I chalked up like I always do, gently wiping through the tips surface until the tip is totally covered in chalk. Note that other chalks took a bit more effort than some others to have the same coverage. I kept notes on the ones that felt difficult to apply evenly and on those that were substantially easier than the others. More on that under each chalk tested later on. I also played with the chalks to have a feeling how they are in action. No surprise there, everyone of them worked like chalk does as I chalk on nearly every shot :eek:

Skyblue Master
This is my usual table chalk at home that I have used for the most of my pool career, the sky blue Master chalk. It goes on well, covers the tip nicely and has always been a good solid choice for me. My favourite of Master chalks, the colour is nice on Tournament blue cloth.

Blue Master
A bit darker shade than the skyblue, other than that works pretty much exactly a like.

Preflag master
The iconic Preflag chalk. I dont actually like it as much as the new ones, it feels a bit dryer and the texture is coarse. Doesnt go on as smoothly. I dont care much for this piece but it is old as what and clearly it hasnt been stored properly as the wrapper is faded.

Venom
Venom chalk by Florian *Venom* Kohler. I bought a signed box a while back and decided to include it in the testing. It goes on smooth and has a nice texture but for some reason it seems to leave a quite thin coat especially on the break tip. Works though, decent chalk but I'll leave it on display for now :smile:

NIR
By a recommendation of a friend I got some NIR chalk to try out. Definitely worth the price in my opinion. Goes on the best of all chalks tested, has a fine texture and a deep blue colour. Feels really nice when applying and coats the whole tip very easily. I was impressed with this stuff actually, only down side is that it makes a bit more mess than some of the others tested. Good stuff though, I'll start carrying some around maybe.

Cuel
An odd horse of the bunch, the Cuel chalk. A fairly unknown and an affordable premium chalk I bought out of curiosity. It works fine but seems to leave a layer a bit too thick on the tip, leaves a bit of a mark on the cue ball. Not quite my cup of tea but it doesnt suck either. Mediocre in every way.

Blue Diamond
Made by Longoni and used by many pros including the likes of Niels Feijen is the first premium chalk I stumbled across when I got in to the game.
It goes on nicely and evenly and just simply performs. Only reason I dont use it much is that it tends to stick to the CB a bit. That makes me uncomfortable using it all the time so it just sits in the basket most of the time.

Molinari
One of the worst if not the absolute worst of the tested chalks. It makes a mess, leaves huge chunks of chalk on the tip, stucks to balls and the round shape is even more fun trying to catch than the Predator octagon shape :grin: I hate it, I would not play a rack with this stuff if I had to.

Predator 1080
Used by many sponsored pro players comes the Predator chalk. It has a funny shape that likes to roll on the floor if dropped but it makes up by looking so ace. I used to play with the stuff for a while but I changes back to Master as this too leaves more residue on the cue ball. It is far superior to Molinari for example and I could play with it if asked to so good stuff in my books. Never had much issues with it, just a little messy.

Magic Chalk
The best chalk of the world the label says. The chalk goes on well and works excellently. Stays on well and is generally nice to play with. Leaves a little thicker coat than the likes of Master. Not anything over the top great though, the first cubes I got were A++ but the later ones feel different and leave a bit of a mess behind. A bad box perhaps?

OB chalk
A new contender on the chalk market by OB. Decent chalk, looks pretty and has a premium feel to it. The texture feels coarse but it still goes on pretty well. An okay chalk, nothing wrong with it but I'm a bit OCD how I want my chalk to feel and sound when applying so I haven't kept up with it.

Triangle blue
Old but gold? The house chalk of numerous rooms up here. It is a mediocre chalk in every aspect. It looks okay, it feels okay, it goes on okay and so on. Makes a mess and is a very dark shade of blue so I dont care much for it :(

Kamui 1.21
The most expensive of the tested chalks, made by Kamui in Japan. The stuff has to be stored in a air tight bag and it feels totally different from normal chalk. It is a very light shade of blue and the texture is very soft, nearly mud like. Leaves a very thick layer of chalk on the tip when applied. Makes a weird noise and feels weird when applying, therefore I kind of disliked it from the get go. Doesnt work any better in my opinion than standard chalks to justify the price tag. In the same boat with Molinari I'd say.

Triangle Pro chalk
The new premium chalk made by Tweeten fibre. Aimed at the market for serious snooker players it only comes in green colour at the time, sadly.
The green is a darker shade than usual green chalks wich is nice. It has a little different texture than oiriginal Triangle a smooth but firm that goes on without much noise when wiping it on. It goes on very easily like NIR and it just feels so comfortable when applying. Surely a giant leap up from standard Triangle, this pro version is a whole different species. Excellent chalk for sure and I have already contacted Tweeten asking if this will be made in blue.

Navigator
A premium chalk from Japan. It is on the pricy side of premiun chalks at 15€ a cube but it seems to be well worth it. Applies evenly and easily, has a perfect texture in my opinion with its dry but smooth feeling composition. Feels like a perfect cube of Master but is noticeably cleaner to use. Minimum chalk marks left on balls and on the table. The wrapper is bright blue, nothing too fancy there. My favourite thing about this chalk is that it is nearly impossible to apply too much of it and therefore its very clean in use. Doesnt leave excess on either tip but still provides an even, total coverage for the tip. I like this a lot and I will continue to use it for more time before I give my final verdict on it. So far it is becoming my favourite of chalks tested.

That was all I got for today. Hopefully someone found that useful or interesting. I sure enjoyed writing it all up for you to see and to revisit the older chalks today.

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:smiling-heart: and :love2: for the quick resumee - also for the nice picture!
Kiitos! And also lots of kahvi! (And that's the only finnish I reall know).

PoolChump

Banned
Great White chalk?

I have accumulated a small collection of different chalks over time and today I finally got around to testing them all to compare them. I took a few pictures for your curiousitys sake and to keep tabs how I liked wich chalk. Here is what I came up with after trying more than a dozen of different chalks.

Here is the line up of chalks tried today;

- Kamui 1.21
- Master Sky blue
- Master Blue
- Master Preflag blue
- OB
- Blue Diamond
- Magic Chalk
- Venom
- CUEL
- Triangle Pro chalk (only available in green)
- Triangle blue
- NIR
- Predator 1080
- Molinari

I put each and everyone of them through the following testing action:
The test tips are a Taom 2.0 jump and break tip in green and a Milkdud tip as a leather playing tip. Both have been played with for a long time and I did not scuff either tip to provide a consistent testing basis. This is exactly how my tips look when I play so that is what I tested with.
First I wiped both tips clean of any previous chalk to give the chalk a clean surface to take on. I chalked up like I always do, gently wiping through the tips surface until the tip is totally covered in chalk. Note that other chalks took a bit more effort than some others to have the same coverage. I kept notes on the ones that felt difficult to apply evenly and on those that were substantially easier than the others. More on that under each chalk tested later on. I also played with the chalks to have a feeling how they are in action. No surprise there, everyone of them worked like chalk does as I chalk on nearly every shot :eek:

Skyblue Master
This is my usual table chalk at home that I have used for the most of my pool career, the sky blue Master chalk. It goes on well, covers the tip nicely and has always been a good solid choice for me. My favourite of Master chalks, the colour is nice on Tournament blue cloth.

Blue Master
A bit darker shade than the skyblue, other than that works pretty much exactly a like.

Preflag master
The iconic Preflag chalk. I dont actually like it as much as the new ones, it feels a bit dryer and the texture is coarse. Doesnt go on as smoothly. I dont care much for this piece but it is old as what and clearly it hasnt been stored properly as the wrapper is faded.

Venom
Venom chalk by Florian *Venom* Kohler. I bought a signed box a while back and decided to include it in the testing. It goes on smooth and has a nice texture but for some reason it seems to leave a quite thin coat especially on the break tip. Works though, decent chalk but I'll leave it on display for now :smile:

NIR
By a recommendation of a friend I got some NIR chalk to try out. Definitely worth the price in my opinion. Goes on the best of all chalks tested, has a fine texture and a deep blue colour. Feels really nice when applying and coats the whole tip very easily. I was impressed with this stuff actually, only down side is that it makes a bit more mess than some of the others tested. Good stuff though, I'll start carrying some around maybe.

Cuel
An odd horse of the bunch, the Cuel chalk. A fairly unknown and an affordable premium chalk I bought out of curiosity. It works fine but seems to leave a layer a bit too thick on the tip, leaves a bit of a mark on the cue ball. Not quite my cup of tea but it doesnt suck either. Mediocre in every way.

Blue Diamond
Made by Longoni and used by many pros including the likes of Niels Feijen is the first premium chalk I stumbled across when I got in to the game.
It goes on nicely and evenly and just simply performs. Only reason I dont use it much is that it tends to stick to the CB a bit. That makes me uncomfortable using it all the time so it just sits in the basket most of the time.

Molinari
One of the worst if not the absolute worst of the tested chalks. It makes a mess, leaves huge chunks of chalk on the tip, stucks to balls and the round shape is even more fun trying to catch than the Predator octagon shape :grin: I hate it, I would not play a rack with this stuff if I had to.

Predator 1080
Used by many sponsored pro players comes the Predator chalk. It has a funny shape that likes to roll on the floor if dropped but it makes up by looking so ace. I used to play with the stuff for a while but I changes back to Master as this too leaves more residue on the cue ball. It is far superior to Molinari for example and I could play with it if asked to so good stuff in my books. Never had much issues with it, just a little messy.

Magic Chalk
The best chalk of the world the label says. The chalk goes on well and works excellently. Stays on well and is generally nice to play with. Leaves a little thicker coat than the likes of Master. Not anything over the top great though, the first cubes I got were A++ but the later ones feel different and leave a bit of a mess behind. A bad box perhaps?

OB chalk
A new contender on the chalk market by OB. Decent chalk, looks pretty and has a premium feel to it. The texture feels coarse but it still goes on pretty well. An okay chalk, nothing wrong with it but I'm a bit OCD how I want my chalk to feel and sound when applying so I haven't kept up with it.

Triangle blue
Old but gold? The house chalk of numerous rooms up here. It is a mediocre chalk in every aspect. It looks okay, it feels okay, it goes on okay and so on. Makes a mess and is a very dark shade of blue so I dont care much for it :(

Kamui 1.21
The most expensive of the tested chalks, made by Kamui in Japan. The stuff has to be stored in a air tight bag and it feels totally different from normal chalk. It is a very light shade of blue and the texture is very soft, nearly mud like. Leaves a very thick layer of chalk on the tip when applied. Makes a weird noise and feels weird when applying, therefore I kind of disliked it from the get go. Doesnt work any better in my opinion than standard chalks to justify the price tag. In the same boat with Molinari I'd say.

Triangle Pro chalk
The new premium chalk made by Tweeten fibre. Aimed at the market for serious snooker players it only comes in green colour at the time, sadly.
This is my favourite chalk despite its green colour. The green is a darker shade than usual green chalks wich is nice. It has the perfect texture, smooth but firm. It goes on very easily like NIR and it just feels so comfortable when applying. Surely a giant leap up from standard Triangle, this pro version is a whole different species. Excellent in every way. I have already contacted Tweeten asking if this will be made in blue. If that comes out I'll know for sure what I'll be playing with :smile:

That was all I got for today. Hopefully someone found that useful or interesting. I sure enjoyed writing it all up for you to see and to revisit the older chalks today.

Add Great White chalk to the list. Not sure if it is still sold, but I still see it being used. :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been curious about balabushka chalk for some time now, any feedback?

It's very good chalk, I think maybe 1/2 level over Masters, just under Magic and Blue Diamond in my book.

This was a great post, love the details and the pictures of the chalks on the cues! :thumbup:

For me, if we rank Masters as B, Magic would be A, Blue Diamond would be A-, Balabushka would be B+.

I do like the Tweeten stuff also, probably a B+ for me. Only tried it in one place though so this is based on a few hours of play.

Predator chalk is a bit like Masters, aside from the roundness is has about the same feel and result. It may be a bit less grittier, I may rank it same as Balabushka chalk.

There is also the Great White chalk from Renfero, which for some reason makes me miscue a lot, even though I like the texture of it and how it goes on the tip. And I like the guy a lot, just not my cup of tea, chalk speaking wise LOL I think I'll need to do a bit more playing with it, maybe trying on a cleaner tip or a different tip.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for taking the time to investigate and report on your findings
:thumbup::thumbup:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have gotten to were I really love OB chalk. Do you find that weather effects some of these more than others...?

I appreciate your time in putting all this together. It was a good piece of information on a variety of chalks.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
A fun read, thanks. I've tried only a few different chalks. Master Blue & green, pre flag master, Blue Diamond, and Predator. It's probably my low skill level, but I really can't tell much difference in any of them.

Sigh..when my current supply of chalks wear out, think I'll just go back to Master. It's cheap and works well.

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever consider making your own chalk? You know what qualities you like in it. Maybe its time you formulate one yourself.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have gotten to were I really love OB chalk. Do you find that weather effects some of these more than others...?

I appreciate your time in putting all this together. It was a good piece of information on a variety of chalks.

Weather, as in temperature and humidity definitely have an effect on chalk just like they do in everything in pool. Maybe not a huge difference but still there is some, others seem more prone to moisture than others.

^ Skratch
That'd be a nice idea to have a chalk made but I'm afraid my chalk enthusiamism doesnt go quite that far. I find nothing wrong with some of the present chalks so there is no need for me to try to improve them :smile:

Ontopic, I'll be updating the OP when a few new pieces come in. May take a few weeks for delivery though :wink:

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been shooting with kamui for months now. And the secret is do NOT chalk as thick and often. Its amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re your point on magic chalk. It's far from uncommon for the first batch of a product to be superb, as a loss leader to gain more orders in future. Quality control or quality of materials diminish once the brand is established. Could be what's happened here? And I'm not just saying that because i cannot stand one of its seller's, either lol.

What about mezz chalk? Tried that yet? And no chalk test can ever be complete without Pioneer.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ I have an order in on the Mezz chalk. Estimated delivery time is 4-6 weeks :frown:
I'll update later on when I get my hands on it and I get a little play in with the stuff :)

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Ive been using a cube of pre-flag Master and I don't get why everyone waxes nostalgic about it. I like the new Master better.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Re your point on magic chalk. It's far from uncommon for the first batch of a product to be superb, as a loss leader to gain more orders in future. Quality control or quality of materials diminish once the brand is established. Could be what's happened here? And I'm not just saying that because i cannot stand one of its seller's, either lol.

What about mezz chalk? Tried that yet? And no chalk test can ever be complete without Pioneer.

Yeah, that's the trick, Alex Pagulayan fell for hook, line and sinker. He uses Magic Chalk and I doubt he's on his first cube still. Oh, this is where you tell me that he gets paid to use it so he has no choice. Wrong. I don't pay anyone to use it. I'm also not one of the sellers, I"m the ONLY one since I bought half the company. Thought it'd be a fun job when I retire in a few years, sponsoring teams, events, etc. Most of the money will go back into pool, with some going to my favorite animal welfare causes !!!! I donate 25% to the ASPCA right now.

And yes, I've tried Mezz chalk, it's actually quite good. It's up there with OB chalk, maybe better ?? I was just glad Mezz did not come out with a "Kamui" type paste chalk, since they are from Japan as well. I don't think we need another $30 cube of chalk ;)

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gee.....I wonder how much better any of the greats would have played.....Crane, Lassiter, Greenleaf, etc.
had they the advantage of using today's array of chalk offerings?

I have a suspicion it wouldn't matter one tiny bit and they would not perform any better. Perhaps just better
application of chalk is all that's needed nowadays. Anyway, players are always looking for an edge and
chalk seems to have become the most recent craze. In due time, it will pass like everything else.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Gee.....I wonder how much better any of the greats would have played.....Crane, Lassiter, Greenleaf, etc.
had they the advantage of using today's array of chalk offerings?

I have a suspicion it wouldn't matter one tiny bit and they would not perform any better. Perhaps just better
application of chalk is all that's needed nowadays. Anyway, players are always looking for an edge and
chalk seems to have become the most recent craze. In due time, it will pass like everything else.

Far as I'm concerned, you nailed it. But then, I'm an old geezer with low skills who is unable to discern any difference.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been curious about balabushka chalk for some time now, any feedback?

I tried Balabuska chalk.
Works very well.
Turned my hand blue.
Way too messy.
I left it on the table for someone else to use.
Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when i went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk,how strong is that?

Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I tried Balabuska chalk.
Works very well.
Turned my hand blue.
Way too messy.
I left it on the table for someone else to use.
Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when i went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk,how strong is that
?

I might have to steal that for my 'signature" LOL

It's def going on my WEBSITE, with your permission of course !!!