Bumpers in Hoover, Al APA

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any guys familiar with Bumpers Billiards in Hoover and the teams there, This is where David Rowell plays out of.
I'm 64 retired and thinking of joining.
Joined APA but not on a team, spoke to LO couple times.
I was on a drunk team in '99 out of a honky-tonk bar, no idea what we were doing.
I did win 13 /22 for 59.09 %.I think Skip said I'm rated a 5. I 'll play some so as not to aggravate the wife so much.

ANY hints on what to expect ??? Thanks

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great players out of there, of course led by David. Lots of fun, which is most important. If Skip said you’re a 5, you’re in for a treat. Lots of competition at that level. Enjoy!

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny to hear Davids name mentioned.....

Back when I was in school at UAB in birmingham I knocked David out of the weekly tourney a couple of times at I think a bar/pool room downtown called the hitching post. That would have been around 93-94.

He was making cues back then and put a wrap on one of my Schons at his house. I remember he tried to get me to gamble with him on on a table he had in his garage!! (for some reason I didn't think that was a good idea)

I also played a set with Jimmy King back then same place when he was still alive. Thanks for the memory flash-back!! David was always a decent cat, Doc

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments guys. Most of my concerns were answered with a couple phone calls.
There's a lot of negative things I've read on this forum about all kinds of BS in league play. I'll try it for a while and decide for myself, I think I'll enjoy it.
Thanks again, and more comments are welcome!

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when I was in school at UAB in birmingham I knocked David out of the weekly tourney a couple of times at I think a bar/pool room downtown called the hitching post. That would have been around 93-94.

He was making cues back then and put a wrap on one of my Schons at his house. I remember he tried to get me to gamble with him on on a table he had in his garage!! (for some reason I didn't think that was a good idea)

I also played a set with Jimmy King back then same place when he was still alive. Thanks for the memory flash-back!! David was always a decent cat, Doc
I played some with Jimmy 4 or 5 years ago at Brown Derby in Southside. I've known him for over 40 years, I didn't hear he had passed. I knew he would disappear for long periods at times.
I've known David for quite a while also, we're both from the same area of town.
I'm born & raised here and my wife would offer odds that I've been in every bar near this town, but I can't remember a "Hitching Post". Could it have been another name?
Anyway, thanks for the info!

Last edited:

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny,

Thats the name stuck in my head. (doesnt mean I'm remembering it right!!) It was just north of downtown in an industrial area. When you drove into the lot the building was on the left, and parking to the right and back. When you walked in the door counter was straight ahead and all the tables to the right.

There was an older black man that played there, I think they called him teacher or something....... Anyway, that was a loooong time ago. I also played at Poppas down in Pelham, and Senor Frogs had some bar action too. I played Squirrel and his grandson in Tuscaloosa one time before I knew who he was....

Thanks again for the memories!!

I may take a road trip and swing back through one day, Doc

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats the name stuck in my head. (doesnt mean I'm remembering it right!!) It was just north of downtown in an industrial area. When you drove into the lot the building was on the left, and parking to the right and back. When you walked in the door counter was straight ahead and all the tables to the right.

There was an older black man that played there, I think they called him teacher or something....... Anyway, that was a loooong time ago. I also played at Poppas down in Pelham, and Senor Frogs had some bar action too. I played Squirrel and his grandson in Tuscaloosa one time before I knew who he was....

Thanks again for the memories!!

I may take a road trip and swing back through one day, Doc
Poppa’s was where I used to shoot. Frankie ran a great hall! Now he’s enjoying retirement and still shooting pool. He sold Poppas 2 years ago, but it’s still kept the name.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poppa’s was where I used to shoot. Frankie ran a great hall! Now he’s enjoying retirement and still shooting pool. He sold Poppas 2 years ago, but it’s still kept the name.
Frankie Gattina sort of welcomed me to school in West End. He was in 3rd grade when I started school. We're still friends, our dad were friends also as B'ham's Italian community was pretty close knit. He's doing great, I talked to him recently!