~ Vintage Player ~

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Yup. Great looking. Not a Joss (most likely). Joss-like in some regards...but similar to other makers as well.

But that is a 3/8x10 pin, which Stroud "invented"...really had made by accident.

Makes me think that it is somehow in that neighborhood of makers. Maybe. Of course, the pin rapidly became popular and quite ubiquitous so it's hard to say it identifies the cue. It is interesting how the pin is installed...and this is a "good cue". With effort there is a decent chance of nailing down the maker.

I can see why it gets immediate attention.

One thing about Joss...it has frequently said they are all marked. But there are a few early cues that were not. I have no idea if any of them were 3/8x10 but I am thinking not....could easily be wrong.

Great cue. Would love to see it identified but I don't know what it is.

I had one of their first dozen cues, ivory countersunk joint with a big chromed pin

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does the bolt look like? The dash rings look like they are made of delrin.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one of their first dozen cues, ivory countersunk joint with a big chromed pin

Yes, I believe I know you did.

And a really great example of such a cue.

And I think that's why you said what you said earlier in this thread.

I don't know. You could be right.

Personally, I would love to see Stroud comment on this cue.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool old cue …….
" POSSIBLY George Balabushka cue with a SZAM Front "
The wrap sure looks flawless,
'Just Like George did his

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
You should get some chat on that. By the way, hex screw or slot screw on the weight bolt?

All the best,
WW

Lol I can only hope...just funning with everyone. The screw that is in it now is a slotted one, but not the one that was in it when I got it. I do have that one still but I can’t remember if it was a hex or slotted. I took the original out when I took it to the DCC because I figured people would want to see up inside and I didn’t want it to get misplaced.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Here's a Josswest

Josswest cue, identical joint, pin, rings

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-020418_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190327-020418_Chrome.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 368

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The one right above does look like a Josswest, as it doesn't have a countersink in the joint.

However, that joint collar looks bizarre. All black, no maple? Not how Bill did it in those days.

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The one right above does look like a Josswest, as it doesn't have a countersink in the joint.

However, that joint collar looks bizarre. All black, no maple? Not how Bill did it in those days.

All the best,
WW

There's maple in the shadow, turn your brightness up

And the countersink on one particular cue does not disqualify a maker. Maybe the original joint cracked so it was replaced with a generously tapped hole. Maybe he chamfered one and was done with it after that. The implex rings and the chromed pin are dead nuts a Stroud cue. Whatever label it had on it at some point.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There's maple in the shadow, turn your brightness up

And the countersink on one particular cue does not disqualify a maker. Maybe the original joint cracked so it was replaced with a generously tapped hole. Maybe he chamfered one and was done with it after that. The implex rings and the chromed pin are dead nuts a Stroud cue. Whatever label it had on it at some point.

You could be right. Although some things give me a bit of doubt, both Bill and Dan, together and apart, did some Hoppe style cues. In the early days, they were mostly, if not all bumperless, which is consistent with the OP's cue. Whoever made it, it's a nice looking cue.

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You could be right. Although some things give me a bit of doubt, both Bill and Dan, together and apart, did some Hoppe style cues. In the early days, they were mostly, if not all bumperless, which is consistent with the OP's cue. Whoever made it, it's a nice looking cue.

All the best,
WW

What things give you doubt?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
What things give you doubt?

1. The countersink in the joint.

2. If early Joss / Josswest, there should be more yellowing in the finish. That inner white veneer looks too white for late 60s to early 70s. Not easy to tell in photos, but looks more like an 80s or later finish would look.

3. Hard to tell from photos, but not sure this is Cortland wrap. Some of the closeups look like some of the strands have the green strand not as even as Cortland would have. If this is the case, it would be more like an 80s cue, possibly with Blue Mountain wrap, or similar. Neither Stroud nor Janes were doing bumperless Hoppe styles that late if that is the case. But again, a bit hard to tell.

4. Joint collar dash rings look just a bit thick for Stroud, who normally did maple dash rings, rather than white phenolic / plastic. But, your pictures do look similar.

5. The joint collar rings look a bit dark for late 60s or early 70s. Believe both were usually using the phenolic that you can really see the checks. That dark a material looks a bit later to me.

6. The length of the cue, as cited by the OP is quite long for early Joss / Josswest, assuming the butt and shaft are equal length. Of course the order could have been a bit different, or new shafts could have been made. It would be interesting the know if the butt and at least one shaft is equal. The early standard in those days was 57 inches.

As I said, you could be right. Right?

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
1. The countersink in the joint.

2. If early Joss / Josswest, there should be more yellowing in the finish. That inner white veneer looks too white for early 60s to early 70s. Not easy to tell in photos, but looks more like an 80s or later finish would look.

3. Hard to tell from photos, but not sure this is Cortland wrap. Some of the closeups look like some of the strands have the green strand not as even as Cortland would have. If this is the case, it would be more like an 80s cue, possibly with Blue Mountain wrap, or similar. Neither Stroud nor Janes were doing bumperless Hoppe styles that late if that is the case. But again, a bit hard to tell.

4. Joint collar dash rings look just a bit thick for Stroud, who normally did maple dash rings, rather than white phenolic / plastic. But, your pictures do look similar.

5. The joint collar rings look a bit dark for late 60s or early 70s. Believe both were usually using the phenolic that you can really see the checks. That dark a material looks a bit later to me.

6. The length of the cue, as cited by the OP is quite long for early Joss / Josswest, assuming the butt and shaft are equal length. Of course the order could have been a bit different, or new shafts could have been made. It would be interesting the know if the butt and at least one shaft is equal. The early standard in those days was 57 inches.

As I said, you could be right. Right?

All the best,
WW

Absolutely, was just curious. The cue I posted has the same dashes and pin, to my novice eyes, and it is labeled JW