Rules translation Please

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Can someone shed a little more light of the following rules table for me. I don't quite get it as to when & where I can spot the CB or 15th ball on the table at the end of the rack.

The table is confusing to me, excuse my ignorance.

Thanks, JBK

141rules.gif

MOJOE

Silver Member
This is how I read the table, even though I think that I am still confused.

If the CB is left in the Rack after 14th ball is made, it can be placed anywhere in the kitchen?

Is there any other time that you could move the cue ball at the end of the rack, besides when it is left in the rack?? If so, when and where?

If I scratch on the 15th ball when breaking, the opponent gets ball in hand behind the line and I assume the ball spots directly in line but behind the spot where the balls are racked.

Does the cue ball get spotted on the center spot (between side pockets) when the 15th ball is on the head spot??

Thanks for clearing this up…

Rules challenged Joe

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
looking quickly at the chart, the CB stays in position in every case when it's not in the rack.

the confusing part of the chart you posted is, the CB positions run across the top and the 15th ball positions run down the side, but the top-left corner designates (kinda) that the opposite is true.

-s

MOJOE

Silver Member
Steve,

I agree, that is what confused me. It all makes sense now!

Thank you all for your help..

Joe

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe Koontz said:
Can someone shed a little more light of the following rules table for me. I don't quite get it as to when & where I can spot the CB or 15th ball on the table at the end of the rack. ...
Here it is in words from the new proposed WPA rules:

4.8 Special Racking Situations

When the cue ball or 15th object ball interferes with racking 14 balls
for a new rack, the following special rules apply. A ball is considered
to interfere with the rack if it is within or overlaps the outline of
the rack. The referee will state when asked whether a ball interferes
with the rack or not.

(a.) If the 15th ball was pocketed on the shot that scored the 14th
ball, all 15 balls are re-racked.

(b.) If both balls interfere, all 15 balls are re-racked and the cue
ball is in hand behind the head string.

(c.) If only the object ball interferes, it is placed on the head spot
or the center spot if the cue ball blocks the head spot.

(d.) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if
the object ball is in front of the head string, the cue ball is in hand
behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string,
the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the
head spot is blocked.

In any case, there is no restriction on which object ball the shooter
may play as the first shot of the new rack.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, I think paragraph D leaves something out. If the object ball is in the kitchen and the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, the shooter does not have to shoot down table. He may shot at the loose object ball. Also if the cue ball is in the kitchen and the object ball is place on the head spot, then the object is playable since the head string is not considered in the kitchen. I hope this is correct, because it is how I have been interpretting the rules.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
kaznj said:
Bob, I think paragraph D leaves something out. ...
The last paragraph covers that. In fact, the player should assume that if a shot is not explicitly a foul, it is permitted.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
kaznj said:
Also if the cue ball is in the kitchen and the object ball is place on the head spot, then the object is playable since the head string is not considered in the kitchen. I hope this is correct, because it is how I have been interpretting the rules.

How does it happen that the object ball is place(d?) on the head spot? If it was already there from the last rack, and the cue ball was in the rack, then the cue ball would go to the center spot.

I don't know how it could happen the the object ball would be spotted on the head spot, because if it had been in the rack, it would be spotted on the foot spot for a 15 ball rack.

Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Steve - Detroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
How does it happen that the object ball is place(d?) on the head spot? If it was already there from the last rack, and the cue ball was in the rack, then the cue ball would go to the center spot.

I don't know how it could happen the the object ball would be spotted on the head spot, because if it had been in the rack, it would be spotted on the foot spot for a 15 ball rack.

Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Rule 4.8 (c) in Bob’s post and column 3, row 2 in the table at the top both say headspot, unless I'm the one reading it wrong. (which could very well be the case):confused: