Brunswick

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an old cue I just got in the mail - very long points. I had planned to refinish, but it's in such great shape I'll probably leave as-is. The seller thought it might be a "Brunswick Signature". Thoughts?

Attachments

• BRUNSIG.JPG
    BRUNSIG.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 870

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
runscott said:
Here's an old cue I just got in the mail - very long points. I had planned to refinish, but it's in such great shape I'll probably leave as-is. The seller thought it might be a "Brunswick Signature". Thoughts?

I don't know but it looks like a neat cue. Is the handle also flat under the wrap?

How much was it and where did you find it?

Chris

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
I don't know but it looks like a neat cue. Is the handle also flat under the wrap?

How much was it and where did you find it?

Chris
Thanks Chris - no, the 'flat' look is from the scanner. It is about 58 inches long and thin shaft (11mm tip?), so probably a snooker cue. Now I'm leaning again toward refinishing and having a playing shaft made for it.

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
runscott said:

Scott:

The cue you have is a Brunswick "Willie Mosconi" model, manufactured by Schmelke, under private label for B'wick. It dates from about 1967 or 1968. Since the rollmark has disappeared, it may have already been refinished at one time in its past. Opposite the engraveable plate on the butt sleeve there should have been a gold rollmark of the model name. These are becoming collectible, but are still rather "low-rent". Probably not worth having a shaft made. Doubtful that this was ever made in anything but a pool configuration - the 11 mm shaft is probably also a victim of lots of use and a past refurbishing. Enjoy it - it's a piece of Brunswick history about which few people (including Brunswick) are cognizant.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
runscott said:
Thanks Chris - no, the 'flat' look is from the scanner. It is about 58 inches long and thin shaft (11mm tip?), so probably a snooker cue. Now I'm leaning again toward refinishing and having a playing shaft made for it.

Well, it will certainly be pretty but I would keep everything else you can original. Those points are going to come right back - I can see the color is still there - you won't believe it.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Pizza Bob said:
Scott:

The cue you have is a Brunswick "Willie Mosconi" model, manufactured by Schmelke, under private label for B'wick. It dates from about 1967 or 1968. Since the rollmark has disappeared, it may have already been refinished at one time in its past. Opposite the engraveable plate on the butt sleeve there should have been a gold rollmark of the model name. These are becoming collectible, but are still rather "low-rent". Probably not worth having a shaft made. Doubtful that this was ever made in anything but a pool configuration - the 11 mm shaft is probably also a victim of lots of use and a past refurbishing. Enjoy it - it's a piece of Brunswick history about which few people (including Brunswick) are cognizant.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

Good work - I was going to e-mail you on this.

It's still a Titlist though by Brunswick so it should be worth something. At that time they were still making them here, right?

You know how these guys are always looking for conversion cues - maybe this is the way to go.

Chris

Last edited:

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
Bob,

Good work - I was going to e-mail you on this.

It's still a Titlist though by Brunswick so it should be worth something. At that time they were still making them here, right?

You know how these guys are always looking for conversion cues - maybe this is the way to go.

Chris
Chris:

These are probably harder to get a hold of than the original Titlists. These were only made for about a year or two and who knows how many survived. The butts of all Schmelke sourced Brunswicks were always made in the USA. The shafts of the 1970 cues were "processed" in Japan - I believe that means they went over with the female joint attached, but little else. They were final contoured, ferrule and tip installed in Japan, and then sent back and remarried to the butt (1970 Schmelke/B'wicks have numbers above and below the joint for that reason). There is debate about whether Schmelke used leftover Brunswick Titlist blanks for these cues and the "Personal" model that followed (1969 & 1970), or manufactured their own. I believe they did their own, due to the length of the points in these cues. Schmelke supposedly manufactured one-piece Titlists also. These were roll-marked "Willie Hoppe Titlist" in gold, rather than have the facsimile signature. Those may very well have been leftover Brunswick blanks.

Sorry. More than you wanted to know, but you know how I am when I get wound-up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the help guys. I had been looking at Hoppe's for a while when I spotten this one - the long points and the splice showing were what attracted me to it.

Pizza Bob - thanks for that clue. I held the butt up to the light with a 10x and I can just read "Signature" in block letters 1/2" above the plate - looks like remnants of gold or silver. There is also very faded lettering 3/4" below the plate, cursive "Brunswick" - I can barely see the imprint (no color left).

Thanks again - you can't see any of the lettering just by looking at it. The cue has not been re-finished as far as I can tell. The shaft is probably closer to 12mm, but I'll get it measured.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Pizza Bob said:
Sorry. More than you wanted to know, but you know how I am when I get wound-up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The more info the better. Now if i can just track down Sir Richard and Peter Balner, I would be a happy man!

pawnmon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you get that off eBay? I think I remember a stick just like that from about 2-3 months ago.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pawnmon said:
Did you get that off eBay? I think I remember a stick just like that from about 2-3 months ago.
Yes, but only last week. Maybe paid too much if I had planned on re-selling, but I liked the look of it and haven't seen anything similar recently.

Bob - where do you get your information on Brunswick history? I'm coming up empty doing google searches. I have another old Brunswick coming in the mail this week and can't find anything on it either - I'll post pictures when I get it.

KweaSr

Wannabe Player
Thanks for the info...I know this is an older thread, but I have one of these cues and it's a pain in the butt to find out anything at all about them.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there, did you ever get a value on this cue? My friend has a nice one for sale, trying to help him out, thanks!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there, did you ever get a value on this cue? My friend has a nice one for sale, trying to help him out, thanks!

Pretty old thread.

I have a minty example of one of these and from what I have seen they go for $200-$250 in nice shape.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The imported models like your friend has sell on eBay for $75-$150 if you get a good bidding war.