SBE 2019: Buying the whole field?!?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See attached picture. Can someone explain to me what’s going on here? I’m totally confused.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• 74E93D0E-B5E0-418F-855A-6DA0080B4509.jpeg
    74E93D0E-B5E0-418F-855A-6DA0080B4509.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 764

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The "Field" are all the players who were not auctioned off in the Calcutta individually. There may be a couple of dozen players in this group, all sold as one package. If any one of them cashes in the Calcutta, the guy who bought the Field would get paid for whatever position he finished in.

The Field is usually made up of all the lesser players and it is rare that one of them finishes high enough to cash in the Calcutta, but it has happened before.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I'm a "field" player.

The "Field" are all the players who were not auctioned off in the Calcutta individually. There may be a couple of dozen players in this group, all sold as one package. If any one of them cashes in the Calcutta, the guy who bought the Field would get paid for whatever position he finished in.

The Field is usually made up of all the lesser players and it is rare that one of them finishes high enough to cash in the Calcutta, but it has happened before.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
usually if your in the pool you cant buy half back or at least thats how its done around here. That doesnt stop buyer from throwing a gratuity your way if they want.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calcutta run outside the event, for a tournament with over 1,000 players that may be playing in several events that they may have to forfeit matches in for scheduling with action room and matches that run during all sorts of hours. Don't see what can go wrong there.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played the field before got married.......then again, I set the ben h ALOT.... dont tell my wife, I told her I was a playA....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
usually if your in the pool you cant buy half back or at least thats how its done around here. That doesnt stop buyer from throwing a gratuity your way if they want.

This is correct. What this appears to be is a case of the buyer of the Field trying to make a return on his money ahead of time. Pretty clever if it works and I can't see anything illegal (unethical maybe) about it.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. You've certainly cleared a few things up.

To me, the term "field" refers to every player in the tournament. The terms "pool" or "block" refer to players that don't want to pay the minimum in the calcutta and get grouped together as a single bid.

Also, I didn't think there was a calcutta for SBE which added confusion. Especially since the tournament doesn't start until next Thursday. As someone else mentioned, apparently this is a private calcutta which is not officially affiliated with the tournament. I've never heard of such a thing but I guess it's not any different than placing side bets.

I'm curious as to how he decided that half of yourself equals $50 in this case. I doubt he divided the bid amount by the number of players in the block to determine the price per player. Even if he did, not everyone is valued equally.

Anyways, thanks again for clarifying.

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I guess this is the new trend now. Roy's Basement just promoted another private calcutta that's happening on Friday for the invitation only pro event in Gibraltar.

djg576

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. You've certainly cleared a few things up.

To me, the term "field" refers to every player in the tournament. The terms "pool" or "block" refer to players that don't want to pay the minimum in the calcutta and get grouped together as a single bid.

Also, I didn't think there was a calcutta for SBE which added confusion. Especially since the tournament doesn't start until next Thursday. As someone else mentioned, apparently this is a private calcutta which is not officially affiliated with the tournament. I've never heard of such a thing but I guess it's not any different than placing side bets.

I'm curious as to how he decided that half of yourself equals $50 in this case. I doubt he divided the bid amount by the number of players in the block to determine the price per player. Even if he did, not everyone is valued equally.

Anyways, thanks again for clarifying.

AKA known as the"pool", or dead pool.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If you're a "field" player and you "went" for $100 this calcutta must be worth at a minimum $250,000.

I need to put these 2 guys on a NEVER deal with list.
WOW!
Jason

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens if one sucks so bad that they are not even good enough for the "field"? Asking for a friend:grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Haven't played in a tournament in quite a while, but when I did, during the 90s in NYC, if no one bought you, you had to buy yourself for the minimum. If someone bought you, regardless of the amount, they had to offer you half...for half of what they paid.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're a "field" player and you "went" for $100 this calcutta must be worth at a minimum $250,000.

WOW!
Jason

I ended up finding the calcutta results on Christopher Lee Wilburn's facebook page.

Total Calcutta: $6970

1st: $1670
2nd: $ 850
3-4th: $ 485
5-8th: $ 200
9-16th: $ 135
17-32nd: $ 100

93 players were bought with a high bid of $350 (Dave Grau).
The remaining field has 907 players and was bought for only $700. Not bad.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

WOW!
Jason

Lmao. Exactly! Pretty good idea I guess.

I'm wondering how many will actually fall for it and dish out the 50! At a $700 buy, the remaining 907 players went for around 77 cents each. Asking for a fifty will take 14 players to get the guy's $700 back, then each additional $50 is pure profit.

Props to these guy for creative thinking. They're gambling $700 in the hopes that there'd either be a few sleepers in the mix or at least enough players who think they stand a chance of placing and are willing to give up $50 just in case.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

WOW!
Jason

Maybe you are overreacting.

I have known Danny for a long time and he is good people and good action