Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just came across this 2015 documentary about the racing life of Paul Newman. It follows Newman from his early movies, one of which was about racing, that gave him the racing bug.... There are many clips from the Hustler and COM. While filming the COM, he would go to a local track after scenes to race. He even brought Cruise with him one day, and then Cruise got the racing bug too. The movie gives a good glimpse into his life from a different perspective than what most of the public was aware of.

Anyway, for any Newman fan, or a car fan, I'd highly recommend this movie. Its free to watch on Amazon Prime. IDK what other service it's on.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Was asked if I was interested in helping oversee Tom Cruise's effort for Bob Sharp Racing in a Nissan 200SX. Turned the offer down as I felt Tom was not prepared for the effort. He rolled the car at Watkins Glen a few weeks later. Thankfully he was not injured. Think that was his last race. Playing a race car driver does not make you one. PLN on the other hand was not just a driver, he was a GREAT driver. Could have been at the top if he so chose.

Lyn

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was asked if I was interested in helping oversee Tom Cruise's effort for Bob Sharp Racing in a Nissan 200SX. Turned the offer down as I felt Tom was not prepared for the effort. He rolled the car at Watkins Glen a few weeks later. Thankfully he was not injured. Think that was his last race. Playing a race car driver does not make you one. PLN on the other hand was not just a driver, he was a GREAT driver. Could have been at the top if he so chose.

Lyn

Yeah, they showed that in the movie, that he didn't have the patience or discipline like Newman did. You'd like this documentary I'd gather:)

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Haven't seen it yet. I'll be sure to follow your suggestion. May bring back some good memories of my "mid-life crisis".

Still have a photo of PLN in his Nissan / Budweiser drivers suit with a six pack of St Pauli Girl in one hand and an open bottle in the other.

While still an "amateur" driver, we placed a "Nuke the unborn gay whales" sticker on his race car. He actually got a laugh out of it.

His race car had an Anheuser Busch banner on the top of his windshield. We of course had to have "And Hows Your Bush" on ours. Lots of laughs till the guy from AB came over and asked us nicely to remove it.

Thanks for today's reason to smile!!!!

Lyn

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David Letterman was his partner in a racing venture for awhile. I think Letterman raced a little bit too.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
David Letterman was his partner in a racing venture for awhile. I think Letterman raced a little bit too.

Pretty sure Letterman was a partner with Bobby Rahal. PLN became a partner in Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing after ending his professional driving career.

Lyn

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Lyn

As a "car guy" and ex Porsche Club member...I couldn't agree more. When it came to actual skill on the track, PLN stood head and shoulders above Steve McQueen.