I discovered that I rally don't know sqat about pool

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This weekend my old friend Potter came over to test hit cues

I bought another Revo for him to try
againse another low deflection OB

anyway he hit a bunch of what i considered long hard shots with each cue commenting after each shot

Well if I hit hard inside with this cue I need to hit it fuller,after missing

I figured he was blaming the cue,s I said well ok hit it fuller,bingo he slams in about 6 in a row

Then he tries a slow spin shot and says,with the other cue you can hit that shot and proceeds to make it a few times
then back to the revo and says ,well you can not hit the spin shot with this so you have to play it like this and fires it in

Now I have been playing pool over 60 years and never heard of these things

at least never saw anybody shooting learning adapting

He said he loves studying stuff like this

No wonder i never improved if it takes study,work etc

I always figured it was just me shooting and missing indiscriminately

At my age I am not interested in study or work,so I dedicated myself to hitting no more side spin

To tell the truth i also decided that owning my own table and praticing pool was making me shoot poorly also

Now when I go play one pocket I get nervous and lose to people I used to beat before i started practicing

Another thing happened to my game with practicing,I lost my killer instinct,
hard to explain,as i am really not a good player but i used to have patience and a will to win

I came home depressed because I lost $20 playing one pocket,I wanted to quit pool forever. My wife said I should quit playing cheap,Jack also said that i never could play cheap pool

My table is for sale again

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

anyway he hit a bunch of what i considered long hard shots with each cue commenting after each shot

I figured he was blaming the cue,s I said well ok hit it fuller,bingo he slams in about6 in a row

Then he tries a slow spin shot and says,with the other cue you can hit that shot and proceeds to make it a few tumes
then back to the revo and says ,well you can not hit the spin shot with this so you have to play it like this and fires it in

At my age I am not interested in study or work,so I ddicated myself to hitting no more side

To tell the truth i also decided that owning my own table and praticing pool was making me shoot poorly also

Now when I go play one pocket I get nervous and lose to people I used to beat before i started practicing

hard to explain,as i am really not a good player but i used to have patience and a will to win

I came home depressed because I lost $20 playing one pocket,I wanted to quit pool forever. My wife said I should quit playing cheap,Jack also said that i never could play cheap pool

I used to think if I got a fair game,close or a little the best of it that If I bet more I would play better and the other guy would play worse.

Now that i am practicing and seeing what I don't know,I am scared

Don’t give up.... simply quit. Seriously sometimes things are so bad they can only get better. Have a plan. Cheat!! No seriously contact TRW... he’s the real Guru. He’ll talk you through the bad times. Do not sell that table. Say no to Selling Out

joe666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need to sell the table.
you just need to get out and play against people more.

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you live near me I'll have you over to beat my butt!
Most players get frustrated, make it pure fun again...
Best Joe

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
, make it pure fun again...

I think im getting better now for the first time in a long time

But I get mental though when playing someone whos good and make just stupid mistakes

Monday an outatowner wanted to play and asked about different games, played 1pkt 9ball 8 ball golf
He was terrible
I had fun, left him with his mouth on the floor after a kiss off the 6, on the short rail to carom in the 9

That was alot of fun for me
Not so much for him, but he asked for it lol

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think im getting better now for the first time in a long time

But I get mental though when playing someone whos good and make just stupid mistakes

Monday an outatowner wanted to play and asked about different games, played 1pkt 9ball 8 ball golf
He was terrible
I had fun, left him with his mouth on the floor after a kiss off the 6, on the short rail to carom in the 9

That was alot of fun for me
Not so much for him, but he asked for it lol
Be kind to the people you meet on the way up. You meet the same people on the way down.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Be kind to the people you meet on the way up. You meet the same people on the way down.

Twas all good fun my friend
Smiling and laughing the whole way
We shook hands and said I'll see ya next time

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Twas all good fun my friend
Smiling and laughing the whole way
We shook hands and said I'll see ya next time

That is a good day! Tom W. Showed me some 3c last week. He’s pretty good at that also. I enjoyed.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
That is a good day! Tom W. Showed me some 3c last week. He’s pretty good at that also

I can only get truck drivers to play with me
Im Not good enough for the bigtime rooms
And where i do play, everyone just wants to play 8ball always :frown:

That sounds like fun, especially when you have someone to learn from

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ask nice

Dean, maybe you can get Jack to school you on fine art too!
JK :) May you have an enjoyable spring.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member

Me Too :( Used to whip them all and be excited about it. Now.... I just don't seem to get the same thrill. So my game and confidence fell off

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Used to think it was my eyes that were getting bad... Now I think its more my attitude

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MIND OVER MATTER... IF YOU DON'T MIND, IT DON'T MATTER.

Keep the table, and don't switch cues.. stick with one and get out!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

I figured he was blaming the cue,s I said well ok hit it fuller,bingo he slams in about 6 in a row

Then he tries a slow spin shot and says,with the other cue you can hit that shot and proceeds to make it a few times

At my age I am not interested in study or work,so I dedicated myself to hitting no more side spin

First, I think your friend is full of it.

Some good advice already given that I'll reiterate. Get out and play other people, stop playing on your table, unless you have good competition coming over.

When you play on your table by yourself it doesn't mean anything. Your focus and concentration go out the window. You can't simply hit balls around on your table and think you're doing your game good, you're not, it's damaging your game because of the loss of focus and concentration.

If your on your table practicing, you must have a goal. Is it to run the table, make a certain number of balls, a certain type of shot and leave w a specific English applied, etc? If you think you're just gonna play to play, don't do it.

When I got back into pool, I got in a tournament and got my butt handed to me. I told myself I wouldn't go back until I could beat the ghost w no bih at least 4/10 times. So when I practiced alone, I had a strong goal that kept me focused and concentration up.

Years later I got a table and started playing just to play and my game went to hell, I got really sloppy. Most of what I wrote above, is thoughts I had about my game a couple years ago because I figured out what was dragging my game down.

I would recommend you don't sell your table, keep your cue and make those shots on your table your friend said are hard to make w your cue. And the biggest thing, stop playing games by yourself, go find competition.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you make the game right you never have to practice, or use side spin, and get all the money.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Killer instinct? It fades as one ages. Rightly so. I consider it a plus that I really don't have the need to "prove myself". Age 75, retired, worked and invested well. Why should I worry if some punk with a negative net worth beats me at a really meaningless game that I play for amusement?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean,

Didn't you just sold your Diamond to get a GC. Now selling the GC-5 too?

Is it 4.5" or regular pockets?