Gabby from Houston.......

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, you have an excellent memory. Your story about Sherrie Hudson is spot on. She played in my room when I first opened. You are right about her bad habits and she did date Gabby for awhile. I first played Gabby at Le Cue in 1971 when Hawaiian Brian and I were on the road. He would have been about 15 years old at that time so he would be about 63 now if alive. We played 5 ahead and I got drilled pretty quick. I got the money back in One Pocket and stayed clear of him thereafter. He was a better nine baller than one pocket player. The Barber and Bigfoot played pretty close and Gabby was right there with them back in the day. I never heard of Gabby taking pool too seriously such that he could really find out what his game could become. He'd make a score and go on drug binges for weeks and months at a time. He only played when he got broke. What a great nickname for a guy...........He never talked too much.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, you have an excellent memory. Your story about Sherrie Hudson is spot on. She played in my room when I first opened. You are right about her bad habits and she did date Gabby for awhile. I first played Gabby at Le Cue in 1971 when Hawaiian Brian and I were on the road. He would have been about 15 years old at that time so he would be about 63 now if alive. We played 5 ahead and I got drilled pretty quick. I got the money back in One Pocket and stayed clear of him thereafter. He was a better nine baller than one pocket player. The Barber and Bigfoot played pretty close and Gabby was right there with them back in the day. I never heard of Gabby taking pool too seriously such that he could really find out what his game could become. He'd make a score and go on drug binges for weeks and months at a time. He only played when he got broke. What a great nickname for a guy...........He never talked too much.

You guys must of not seen my post on this thread.

Gabby is very much alive and out of jail.

He was playing at Legends Billiards in The Houston Open this past weekend.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys must of not seen my post on this thread.

Gabby is very much alive and out of jail.

He was playing at Legends Billiards in The Houston Open this past weekend.

How did he do? I think he finished 3rd a couple of years ago. I knew Gabby from Reds in Houston.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played Gabby some nine ball sets at Five Points Bowl in the 70’s. I think I lost three sets. I was pissed I could not get him off his thumb. Turns out he almost never used a closed bridge. Was Sherrie AKA Santa Ana Rose? I know Gabby was with her for a while.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, Sherrie and Santa Ana Rose are not the same person. I don't know what happened to either one.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Gabby some nine ball sets at Five Points Bowl in the 70’s. I think I lost three sets. I was pissed I could not get him off his thumb. Turns out he almost never used a closed bridge. Was Sherrie AKA Santa Ana Rose? I know Gabby was with her for a while.

Pause:
What does the phrase, "off his thumb" mean?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So then in this context, means hendy thoughtl his opponent using a closed bridge was tantamount to shooting with his jacket on?

Back in the day, lotta players used an open bridge for their B-game...
...pretty sure that’s what Hendy was talking about.

For those who study bridges.....

29C04C12-CA96-4807-8A92-0E9A066EB727.jpeg

This is an open bridge...off the thumb

07B347E6-C6C9-44C8-8105-CCFBDB8DE29D.jpeg

This is a closed bridge....cue aint goin’ no place

100ADFB3-9B86-45B5-96DF-C8860F989F7C.jpeg

This bridge is kinda inbetween

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the day, lotta players used an open bridge for their B-game...
...pretty sure that’s what Hendy was talking about.

For those who study bridges.....

View attachment 52729

This is an open bridge...off the thumb

View attachment 52970

This is a closed bridge....cue aint goin’ no place

View attachment 59731

This bridge is kinda inbetween
But I still don't understand why one would want to make his opponent 'get off his thumb'.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hendy wanted to play good enough that he has to use his A-game.

I hope John comes back to read this...if I’m dead wrong...it’ll still be interesting.

That was the meaning I landed upon too...aka: Makin em take his jacket off.

I hope we get the answer!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
We played a few times in the Los Angeles area in late 70's....
Again, in the 80's at Reds in Houston when, Caesar Morles showed up.
Saw em in TX a few years back at Big Tyme?
I know Gabs in peace, in a good place.

bm

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
This was one of the threads that I read when I first joined. Many that contributed are gone and many still with us here but don't post anymore.

Kinda interesting to read it once more.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Gabby had to play David Matlock at The Texas Open midway thru the tournament around 1991 or so, what got me was they made Gabby the favorite minus 1. I know Matlock was a bar box player but I was impressed they made Gabby the favorite.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
About the bridge, the man that was the closest thing I had to a mentor was a solid shortstop. He advocated never using an open bridge which I had slipped to because of the comfort and convenience, and he advocated a very short bridge. After about a year I had let the open bridge sneak back in some and from then on I played about 80-20 closed bridge to open bridge. Worked well for me. If it was a tough shot I almost without exception went to a closed bridge.

I can see where some would see an open bridge as a bit of a slap, they weren't seeing the other player's "A" game. Not as true today as fifty years ago though.

Hu