What happened to Stans CTE Book and New Video?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you "suck at execution", or "misjudge spin effect", or "miscue", then you surely haven't mastered the art of aiming. Mastering any art involves mastering every element that comprises that art. A grand master chess player doesn't master the game of chess without mastering every piece in every possible position. A worldclass master violinist doesn't master the violin until every motion of the arms, fingers, and bow is mastered, and the feel of the chin rest, the strings and the fingerboard is mastered. Only then can they play at a master level.

Pool should be no different. Treated like an art, aiming is comprised of more elements than simply knowing where the cb needs to be. Mastering aiming involves mastering mental focus, spin, throw, squirt, speed, feel, cb hit, etc...

You believe it's impossible to master these things. I disagree. The potential of human capability when it comes to developing talent and skill is quite amazing. Athletes today compete at levels thought impossible a few decades ago. There have been great advancements in the understanding of how we learn complicated skills, and how those skills become ingrained/automatic after enough quality practice/experience.

There are pro pool players who rarely miss shots. I'm talking about missing 1 open shot for every hundred or so. I'd call that a mastery level of pocketing balls.

Anyway, most people aren't as stupid as you think. I mean, "Master the art of aiming and never miss another ball" is a real possibility for those who set that as a goal, and it doesn't mean the same to you as it does to me or perhaps to someone else. Most players would love to play for several hours without missing any shots. This is quite possible in competition if you know your current limitations and play within the realm of shots you've already mastered, never shooting a shot you aren't 100% confident with. Shoot the shots you know, the shots you've learned, and practice what you want to learn.

It all goes to definition. Aiming is not monolithic. It is not singular. Aiming is ubiquitous.

What's really wonderful about this whole mess is that aiming doesn't have to be perfect. Why, you ask? Because in pool, all you have to do is win and if you're perfect, you'll scare off all the suckers. Oh, yeah, who are the suckers? They're the dudes crowing about CTE.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just curious as to what this massive thing is going to cost and how, at the advertised size, the average player is supposed to digest it all and successfully take it to the table and execute.

Lou Figueroa

Actually The Truth Series will come out on youtube at about the same time. Watch that and only buy the book if you like. The average player will have no problems with the material. I'm sure the few average players already on here will though, they have too much time invested against CTE to ever change there minds.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all goes to definition. Aiming is not monolithic. It is not singular. Aiming is ubiquitous.

What's really wonderful about this whole mess is that aiming doesn't have to be perfect. Why, you ask? Because in pool, all you have to do is win and if you're perfect, you'll scare off all the suckers. Oh, yeah, who are the suckers? They're the dudes crowing about CTE.

The suckers are people like you who constantly post about things you know nothing about.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t believe it’s possible to “never miss another ball”.

Neither do you.

pj
chgo

I do believe it. Read a few books about the power of the brain, about learning, mastering skills, developing talent. Don't assume that since you haven't mastered anything no one else can ever master it either. I have always been a believer in human potential. But thanks for telling me what I don't believe. Lol

Let's say you can ride a bicycle, been riding for 30+ years. You feel very comfortable and confident in your riding abilities and automatically know what to do in various situations without having to think about each action. This is implicit memory, subconscious, automatic action. Research has shown that it takes nearly 10,000 hours of practice to master a complex skill to the point of having it ingrained into implicit memory. I'm not saying riding a bike is a complex skill, just using this as an example. As long as you stick to what you are 100% capable of doing, the basics that you have mastered, you do an excellent job on the bike, feel confident, have no crashes. If you venture outside your current skill level then trouble may arise because you are riding into unmastered skill territory. Skills that will require conscious control of each action you've learned (explicit memory). If you can't ride a willie or jump 15 feet going 30+mph downhill, then you certainly won't be attempting to ride a mile long willie or jump into a high speed downhill ride through mountainous terrain. By being smart enough to perform within the skills you've mastered, you avoid disaster. Little by little, with practice, you can broaden your level of mastery to include more challenging feats.

When playing pool we take a chance on missing shots anytime we guess or estimate what needs to be done with the cb in order to pocket the ob. We venture outside the limitations of our current abilities by doing what we THINK needs to happen vs doing what we KNOW needs to happen. When we consciously focus on each movement we are not playing via implicit memory. We are trying too hard and therefore make mistakes. Pro players have invested the quality practice time required to master various aspects of the game. Shot execution becomes automatic, implicit. Most pool players never put in the table time required to master any part of the game to such a high degree, but pros are proof that hard work makes it possible to master the elements needed to compete at a very high level. And the fact that there are varying degrees of pro level performance tells us that there is always room for improvement. The best of the best miss an open shot so rarely that it can be considered a fluke when it happens. It's not proof that never missing a ball is outside the realm of possibility.

As an extreme example, let's say you never miss a shot within a foot of the pocket. Theoretically you can play without ever missing a shot because you simply don't attempt to pocket a ball unless it's within a foot from a pocket. No exceptions -- any shot that doesn't fall within this small window of shots you've mastered you simply avoid, opting for a safety instead. You can broaden this window of mastered shots over time, always playing within your current limitations, never missing an open shot.

If pool table pockets were a foot wide then most of us would never miss a shot. If they were 6" wide then pros would never miss an open shot. This is enough to conclude that it's possible, with practice, to never miss an open shot on standard 4.5" pockets also. But you can believe your way (fixed limitations) and I'll believe mine (open limitations).

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The total tonnage of your ignorance and arrogance is enough to sink an ocean liner.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you don't believe the brain is capable of mastering the task of pocketing pool balls? There is absolutely nothing misleading with my statement, "Master the art of aiming and never miss another ball." Most pro players will admit that they haven't mastered the game, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. They just haven't been able to it. And for those who believe it isn't possible, well, they will never be able to do it.

The road to mediocre is quite easy -- just tell yourself the lie that mastering anything is impossible. Millions do it every day while a hardworking few go on to dispel the lie and become worldclass athletes or musicians or whatever.
And your own game is mediocre. The big lie is selling something with the hustle of "never miss another ball".
Why don't you use your OWN method of how to "Master Aiming and Never Miss Another Ball " ?
Post some video evidence of you in action against some A rated players and demonstrate how you "Never Miss Another Ball".
The total tonnage of your ignorance and arrogance is enough to sink an ocean liner.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Master the art of aiming and never miss another ball” is totally misleading. It is one of those statements you hear on shopping networks.
You can master aiming, but suck at execution.
You can hit the pocket with the right aiming but too much OB speed and it rattles out.
You can miscue......but aim perfectly.
You can misjudge spin effect......but aim perfectly.
That statement is nothing more than a marketing statement made to entice someone to buy it.
Well Duckie, you finally got something right.
Those self-help books from the shopping networks must be getting results for you.
I salute you.
Good work!

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aiming doesn't take place in a freakin' VACUUM. The second you pocket a ball, you're already preparing for the next shot. That's aiming. The second the cue ball stops rolling, you're aiming. It doesn't matter where you are, you're aiming. Either that or you head is buried in some bigtitchix blouse, in which case you shouldn't be playing pool at all. Everything we do MUST be designed to make the next 9(or more)balls go in the hole. Aiming is not separable. It is not divisible. It's the whole goddam dance. Jeez.
WRONG again.
And your use of profanity is merely a demonstration of your weak mind attempting to express itself forcefully.
The total tonnage of your arrogance and ignorance (coupled with a newly exposed vulgarity) is enough to sink an ocean liner.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
And your own game is mediocre. The big lie is selling something with the hustle of "never miss another ball".
Why don't you use your OWN method of how to "Master Aiming and Never Miss Another Ball " ?
Post some video evidence of you in action against some A rated players and demonstrate how you "Never Miss Another Ball".

Mediocre? If a player that breaks and runs 8 or 9 ball racks about 50% of the time or better is "mediocre" in your world, then I guess I'm mediocre.

It takes practice, quality table time, to become an "A" player. Practice is something I don't make time for right now. I have been called an "A" player quite often, though I believe I just a solid B+ player with streaks of an "A" game busting out occasionally. I do use my system on occassion when I play, like on a shot that may come up and I don't automatically know how to hit it. I use the system then and it works. I can break and run a couple of racks, keeping in line on each shot, and then maybe get out of line on a shot in the third rack, a shot that makes me doubt the outcome. This is when I'll use the system.

I have no doubt that if I had come up with my system back when I was 15 or 16, and had put in the necessary practice to master fractional aiming in that manner, verses ghostball or any other trial and error system, I would have reached a level of play where I felt like I could never miss a shot. I feel this way sometimes anyway, on given nights. And I have played many tournaments and league nights without ever missing a ball in any game. If I (a non pro player that seldom practices) can do this, then I know others that put more time into their game can do it also. You can say that's arrogant, but it's really just confidence, which is a powerful tool.

Believing in yourself, striving toward what others say is impossible, makes almost anything possible. That's the truth, no lie. I feel sorry for people like you, those with fixed mindsets that place limitations on themselves. They close off opportunities that could allow them to reach limitless possibilities.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though the best that's ever been done is less than 1,000 shots...

Sorry, I thought we were talking about reality.

pj
chgo

Brian's statement is a challenge. We must always strive for exceptionalism. Mastery is the goal. Some people accept the challenge. Other people believe that they are incapable of mastery and accept the reality that their only hope is gimmicks and videos and mouth. The consolation, of course, is that without losers, winners would have to get a real job.

Missing a shot is real-time proof that the player is not the master. Given that, a person can choose to aspire, or choose to be the slave.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Even though it has never happened in any discipline in the history of mankind...

pj
chgo

Here's some reality....

A hundred years ago no one imagined that we would create the technology to put people into space.

Worldclass Olympic athletes compete at levels today considered impossible by athletes decades ago.

The more science discovers about human learning, human potential, the more we see that the old-school mentality about learning and developing skills is, well....old.

You and others fail to understand the implications here. Mastering any complex skill to the point of being able to perform it flawlessly and effortlessly is not beyond reality. Worldclass performers in every discipline achieve this level of excellence daily. It's illogical to assume that something possible -- perfection -- in nearly every discipline can't be possible in pool/billiards.

Thankfully there are plenty of non-old-school thinkers out there pushing the limits beyond what you and the like consider impossible or unreal.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian's statement is a challenge. We must always strive for exceptionalism. Mastery is the goal. Some people accept the challenge. Other people believe that they are incapable of mastery and accept the reality that their only hope is gimmicks and videos and mouth. The consolation, of course, is that without losers, winners would have to get a real job.

Missing a shot is real-time proof that the player is not the master. Given that, a person can choose to aspire, or choose to be the slave.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Good to see that someone comprehends the reality of learning, of striving for excellence through vigorous practice. No one has ever mastered anything without believing they could do it.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a lie !!

Mediocre? If a player that breaks and runs 8 or 9 ball racks about 50% of the time or better is "mediocre" in your world, then I guess I'm mediocre.
It takes practice, quality table time, to become an "A" player. Practice is something I don't make time for right now. I have been called an "A" player quite often, though I believe I just a solid B+ player with streaks of an "A" game busting out occasionally. I do use my system on occassion when I play, like on a shot that may come up and I don't automatically know how to hit it. I use the system then and it works. I can break and run a couple of racks, keeping in line on each shot, and then maybe get out of line on a shot in the third rack, a shot that makes me doubt the outcome. This is when I'll use the system.
I have no doubt that if I had come up with my system back when I was 15 or 16, and had put in the necessary practice to master fractional aiming in that manner, verses ghostball or any other trial and error system, I would have reached a level of play where I felt like I could never miss a shot. I feel this way sometimes anyway, on given nights. And I have played many tournaments and league nights without ever missing a ball in any game. If I (a non pro player that seldom practices) can do this, then I know others that put more time into their game can do it also. You can say that's arrogant, but it's really just confidence, which is a powerful tool.
Believing in yourself, striving toward what others say is impossible, makes almost anything possible. That's the truth, no lie. I feel sorry for people like you, those with fixed mindsets that place limitations on themselves. They close off opportunities that could allow them to reach limitless possibilities.
One of the most absurd adages promoted by millennials is that thing about "you can do anything you want to do or be anything you want to be. It is a lie.
A child or an adult can stand in front of a mirror every day for years repeating positive affirmations about "I am eight feet tall and I am the best in the NBA" and they will, in the world of reality, never grow to be eight feet tall.
They can repeat the same things over and over about "I can leap from a 12 story building and fly like a bird"....and when they try it, they will die.
You mislead people when you tell them with your publication that they can "master aiming and never miss another ball". That too is a lie. They will miss balls, no matter what system they use. They can study your system forever, but they're still going to miss balls.
No matter how much you pontificate in an eloquent manner, you are still merely an amateur teaching amateurs to become amateurs.
Furnish videos of you breaking and running racks 50% of the time....otherwise it is just bullfeathers from you in order to sell your books.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the most absurd adages promoted by millennials is that thing about "you can do anything you want to do or be anything you want to be. It is a lie.
A child or an adult can stand in front of a mirror every day for years repeating positive affirmations about "I am eight feet tall and I am the best in the NBA" and they will, in the world of reality, never grow to be eight feet tall.
They can repeat the same things over and over about "I can leap from a 12 story building and fly like a bird"....and when they try it, they will die.
You mislead people when you tell them with your publication that they can "master aiming and never miss another ball". That too is a lie. They will miss balls, no matter what system they use. They can study your system forever, but they're still going to miss balls.
No matter how much you pontificate in an eloquent manner, you are still merely an amateur teaching amateurs to become amateurs.
Furnish videos of you breaking and running racks 50% of the time....otherwise it is just bullfeathers from you in order to sell your books.

You don't seem like a very happy person.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a LIE!

Good to see that someone comprehends the reality of learning, of striving for excellence through vigorous practice. No one has ever mastered anything without believing they could do it.
Nobody has ever mastered pool.
Nobody has ever mastered the guitar.
Nobody has ever mastered chess.
Nobody has ever mastered golf, baseball, swimming, or even the clever art of telling lies. (Hillary Clinton was close to mastering the art of telling lies, but even she got caught)

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Even though the best that's ever been done is less than 1,000 shots...

pj
chgo

If you've ever played an entire tournament or match without missing a shot, then you've done it, provided you actually got to shoot.:D Even if it only occurred that one match or one weekend, you mastered the art of aiming at that time. If you can do it once you can do it again. Not sure about you, but I've done it quite often.

Of course there are mental/emotional roadblocks that come into play at the worse times, like choking, trying too hard, wrong frame of mind, etc.... but these are other elements of the game that must be mastered if you expect to not miss any shots. And keep in mind that in order to "never miss another ball" the player must incorporate knowledge and skill, choosing which shots to shoot and which shots to duck, instead of just firing at every low percentage shot you get. This is all part of the dance, knowing and mastering the moves, being so in tune with your game that you know exactly how to maneuver in every situation.