8-Ball Tournament Question about Format

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Trying to start a non-sanctioned tournament at a local bar.

- 8-Ball, APA rules
- Single game matches
- Double elimination
- "Average " league players

What's the maximum number of participants to keep it around 4 hours, using 2 tables?

Another question , is there a good handicap rating system for a tournament like this? Like giving players the 8? Let them remove "X" number of balls after the break? etc?

Is there a good site that has a breakdown of different ratings, and maybe the criteria for each skill level?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve done it with 23 players some of who were average league players, with a few good players and a few weaker players at either tail of the sample. 4 hours including race to 2 in both semis and the final. There are many variables though - 4 or 5 tactical battles can really slow the tournament down.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA 8-Ball's "Take what you make" rule sucks. I wouldn't use that. The table should always be open after the break.

There are many ways to handicap. Spotting games on the wire is the easiest to manage, but I like non-handicapped tournaments best.

Last edited:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used 6 games per hour when estimating the time for a tournament to complete. This was usually for races to 3 or 4. Single game matches means more time getting ready for a match (call the players, flip coin etc), so four to five games per hour might be more likely. I would definitely have the next match players ready to rack right after the previous match is done.

For example, 16 players means 15 have to be eliminated, so there are 30 or 31 games played in a single game double elimination format. 8 games played the first hour for the first round. After two hours, 4 eliminated, two rounds done.

After three hours, if all games are at a decent pace, the hot seat will be filled, with five players remaining.

After four hours, the final should be set, and possibly done if only one game.

So I would not allow more than 16 players.

Another handicap that I have used a few times (not in a tournament) is allowing the opponent to shoot the 8 with 1 or 2 of his group on the table. This can mean additional trouble for the better player dealing with clusters or blocked pockets. 12 players might be the max for this format.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Thanks for input!

Single game matches means more time getting ready for a match (call the players, flip coin etc), so four to five games per hour might be more likely.

Using these figures, it appears a 20-person, Double elimination bracket with 38 games total is best for staying around 4 hours.

4.5 games per hour x 2 tables = 9 games per hour... 38/9= 4:12

I would definitely have the next match players ready to rack right after the previous match is done.

Good advice! Thanks!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Do you have any experience judging people's skills and handicaps? If not, I would go with an existing handicap system, such as APA or popular local proven tournament handicap scale.

If you come up with your own, be prepared to deal with the complaints and suggestions.

FWIW, a friend asked me to re-start a tournament at his pool hall. I'm planning to submit at least 3 handicap systems to the owner.
1. the previous
2. handicap used by two other pool halls (aka joint handicap).
3. hybrid created by my friend to reflect the locals.

I'm partial of the joint handicap.

Trying to start a non-sanctioned tournament at a local bar.

- 8-Ball, APA rules
- Single game matches
- Double elimination
- "Average " league players

What's the maximum number of participants to keep it around 4 hours, using 2 tables?

Another question , is there a good handicap rating system for a tournament like this? Like giving players the 8? Let them remove "X" number of balls after the break? etc?

Is there a good site that has a breakdown of different ratings, and maybe the criteria for each skill level?

Last edited: