WPA World 8 Ball Championship?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering if anyone had any scoop yet on this event? WPA calendar shows it in Malaysia scheduled on top of the Int. Open in October. Not much on the WPA site, and neither the WPA not Predator would comment on it.

World8ball.jpg

As of early December they were showing a "world 8 Ball" starting 9/26 with unknown location. That has been moved now to Oct 22 in Malaysia and sponsored by Predator.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this will be very interesting if it materializes. with a decent prize fund you will see a lot of new names from e8b and c8b

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was wondering if anyone had any scoop yet on this event? WPA calendar shows it in Malaysia scheduled on top of the Int. Open in October. Not much on the WPA site, and neither the WPA not Predator would comment on it.

View attachment 540398

As of early December they were showing a "world 8 Ball" starting 9/26 with unknown location. That has been moved now to Oct 22 in Malaysia and sponsored by Predator.

Looks like the WPA doesn't respect their own dates. The International Open is a sanctioned event last I heard. Maybe the WPA is double dipping.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like the WPA doesn't respect their own dates. The International Open is a sanctioned event last I heard. Maybe the WPA is double dipping.
I think the overlap has been removed but the calendar has not been updated.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the overlap has been removed but the calendar has not been updated.

Would you have any details on the event?

I might be over there for the MotoGP event at that time and it could be possible to attend. Not sure why they think it is acceptable to only announce with a few months notice.

thanks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would you have any details on the event?

I might be over there for the MotoGP event at that time and it could be possible to attend. Not sure why they think it is acceptable to only announce with a few months notice.

thanks.

The email I have seen from someone in the WPA says that the 8-ball championship in Malaysia is Nov. 1-5, 2020 and there may be qualifiers at the venue before then. I have no other details.

I would say that until venue/hotel/quotas/format/qualifier info is available from the organizers, things might still change, based on my experience watching the development of other events. I believe this is the first time a pool world championship has been held in Malaysia.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The email I have seen from someone in the WPA says that the 8-ball championship in Malaysia is Nov. 1-5, 2020 and there may be qualifiers at the venue before then. I have no other details.

I would say that until venue/hotel/quotas/format/qualifier info is available from the organizers, things might still change, based on my experience watching the development of other events. I believe this is the first time a pool world championship has been held in Malaysia.

Thanks for the info.