how are ya'll doing in league ?

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winning

My APA 8 ball team qualified for the national championship second year in a row!
They killed it, never giving up even when it looked tough.
After watching my team get this done again I would like you all to know that I have been talking shit about how we were going to do it again since we did it last time.
I have told anyone who would listen that we were going to do it. I have bored total strangers with my incessant droning about having the best team ever. Thank you for not making me look like a crazy person with a compulsion for tall tales. I am very fortunate to have you all.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i think it was last SEP when we all walked away from UPA league after 3 sessions from JAN. i talked with 4 guys from our team last week. they've been getting together weekly since SEP (with other guys), at one guy's house (and a stellar GCIV) to play. the general consensus, was that "league burned them out". its corruption. its ineptness. (this is confined to our LO & UPA). they also told us that the 10 team league has basically fallen apart.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Good and Bad

The Good:

I played my second APA 8-Ball match on Monday night. We were home this time, and it was the first time I shot on the table we have there (Im playing for a buddy of mine's team, in the area I grew up in).

I played a pretty good 6 and was able to win 5-2 against him.

I shot better this week than last weeks win, but Im really having trouble adjusting to a 7' Valley table (which I asked, and there are no places with Diamonds in this league :( ). I dont know if its the smaller size, the slower speed, or the way the rails play, but im struggling with it :angry:. I cant seem to be able to break out at will what seems like never ending ball clumps, and my confidence because of it has me playing more safes, and strategy shots more than I EVER play.

But Im by far the top player on this team, and I dont want to let them down by losing, so im really playing to win, and it looks like im going to get the other teams best player every week here... Im usually the 2nd or 3rd best player on the other teams I play on, so being the undisputed anchor is new to me, lol..

I think we only earned 4 points, and the other team earned 9 or 10 points..

Now for the Bad (real bad):

I played last night at my place for TAP 9-ball. First off, TAP and APA are totally DIFFERENT animals. The level of player is MUCH higher in the TAP league, and it really isnt even close (at least around here).

As I made reference to above, im about the 3rd best player on my TAP 9-Ball team (and my TAP 8-Ball team as well). The best player on our team is pretty much considered the best player in our TAP league, but he couldnt make it last night, and neither could our 2nd best player.

So I ended up playing the other teams best player, who is a 7 and probably the 2nd best player in the league.

Well, he walloped on me, 7-2 :eek:

I didnt play bad, and didnt miss anything I should have made, but I keep over running position and boning myself, either out of line, or behind something. Very frustrating, because he was running out on every miss I had. I think my stat line was something like 32 makes with around 8 misses, which isnt really all that bad, and certainly not 7-2 bad, but I think he only had 4 or 5 misses.

He did shoot very well though, I cant take that away from him.. Just embarrassing though.

I couldnt get it out of my head after the first time I over ran position, and it bugged me all night... I really hope playing on Valley tables every Monday night isnt going to become a running theme and screw my game up for Tuesday nights (all teams in our TAP league have Diamonds)..

I think I'll be able to adjust quicker next time, and I will now be conscience about it from now on...

On a good note though, my Girl Friend got a win against a pretty good TAP 4 :thumbup:

We won 3-2 on the night, with her (2) my 3, and one of my 4's winning.

Shes a 2 who doesnt even like playing pool and has no hope of ever becoming a 3. Shes basically our scorekeeper and emergency player, in case we are short (like last night), or in case our number get too high, which they are now since TAP revised their handicap system several months ago..

She hates that she now has to play almost every week, but it is what it is until we fill our open roster spot with a good low number.. I've been being picky about it, because we have a good team, that also gets along very well with each other. So whoever we pick up, must be a good player (as a low number), and also not a douche bag :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of my place after it cleared out a little after the leagues were over (APA might have been still playing on the front table):

Attachments

• 14339534782380[1].jpg
    14339534782380[1].jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good shooting rain man :thumbup:

as for adjusting from one type of table to the next....well it can be a pain ....if you let it.get to you.
a while back i posted about playing on crappy valleys in a bar...good valleys in a pool hall...diamond bar boxes and 9' gold crowns all in the span of a week playing apa league.

i played good enough on all those different tables to be raised to a 6. it usually takes me about a rack to adjust from one type of table to the other.

last night i faced a 3 in 8 ball and won 4-0. i did not play that great...my opponent played that bad.

tonight i played on my new double jeapordy team i joined 2 weeks ago. we played at the meucci factory...my 1st time there since he put in some tables ...sort of a pool hall in the front half of the factory. he has 3 valleys and 8 gold crowns there. we played on the valleys.

no smoking...no alchohol." you can bring your own " .no food that i saw except for some bags of chips....just pool mister.

i faced a 5 in 8 ball and lost 4-1...i could not get into the game cause i spent all my time watching bob work with skyler woodward and another pro who's name escapes me right now. they were practicing on one of the 9 footers close by us.

lost 9 ball 31-38 to a darn good shooting 4 in a 31-46 race. he must have made 5 early 9 combos. i was happy with the pointsi did muster as good as he was pocketing balls.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Tonight playing league, my opponent quit on me after I was leading 6-2 in a race to 9.

We're playing even as D+. I came early and practiced for about 45 minutes. My opponent was doing the same on the table we were scheduled to play. I lost the lag, so I racked for him.

He broken and made 2 balls. He dogged the 9-ball, and left it by pocket. 2nd game, he scratched on the 8, and then conceded the game. Third game, I broke, dropped two ball and ran out the rack. It didn't sink in until a game and half later that my opponent didn't even get up. This was the first 9-ball break and run that I remembered for at least year and half.

I was ahead by 3 when he won the next game bringing the score to 3-1, then another 3-2. I won three more bringing the score to 6-2 including a game where the 9-ball was hanging on the edge of a pocket for at least 3 turns. I tried a safety, which was also a low percentage two way shot and was rewarded when the cueball came back to knock in the 9. He asked me if I meant going for the 9. I told him I was trying for the safety. It occurred to me about the 9, but I got lucky. I don't think I could duplicate it on a regular basis.

In another game, he got ball in hand and there was a 3-9 combo, instead he attempted to run it out.

In the 9th game, he went for the six ball instead of the five ball. I pointed it out it was a foul, and thats when he conceded the match.

This is the first time I had an opponent concede on me. So, I was at a loss what to do. I don't recall if he shook my hand, as I do customarily. I consulted the league director and told me to write it up as 9-2.

Should I feel guilty? I was playing to win, as Individual 9-ball is a competitive and incubator league for C+ and below.

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
I had 9 ball LTC's for my APA league. After losing the first match yesterday we got all the way up to semifinals today unfortunately losing on the fifth match in sudden death by a few balls. Out of the four team matches we played I won't 3 out of my 4 matches losing only one by like 3 points so I felt quite good knowing I did my part. My team did good too but some players just too inconsistent so hopefully we can improve that to try going to nationals next year. Hopefully it carries back into my league night though as I'm 1-3 in 9 ball losing the 3 games by 3 balls or less -___- but at least I'm undefeated 3-0 in 8 ball

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had 8 ball ltc's this weekend .played good for the most part. i won 3 matches and lost 1. my only loss was a blowout 5-0 against a 6 . it seemed like when half the team played good the other half sucked. we could not get all 5 playing good at the same time...heck ...could not even get 3 good matches at the same time. had to forfeit one also.

got 9 ball ltc's next weekend ..hope we do better. dont know how i am gonna fare in that with me being raised to a 6 2 weeks ago. have won a few matches as a 6 but lost a few i would have won if i was still a 5.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Had our states this weekend (LTCs). We went for 9-ball.

We lost, first round. Poop.

One of our teams won for 8-ball, super psyched for them, a good bunch of friends.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Vegas Qualifier

We stunk it up this weekend. 2 and out. I couldn't play because of points so I coached the crap out of them but everything that could have gone our way didn't end that way. The team we lost to first qualified and they have allot of good guys good luck to them.

Got 8 ball this weekend so I can play. Coming in on a roll with 2 bnr and a snap on another 7 that shoots pretty strong.

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first LTC here is quickly approaching and I'm getting a little nervous. I'm going to Vegas win or lose but really want to play in the team event (Travelers' Assistance would be great too) I've done what I can to prepare, making time to practice when I can and even taking a lesson with Scott Lee. I'm getting better but still not consistent yet, can shoot well for a bit then start to overcut everything it seems. I'm just hoping I don't shoot lights out at the start and catch the LO's attention, get moved up and then screw the team in later rounds.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its been a crazy week for me.

i met my 1st real asshole in apa tue night. the guy is only a 2 and needs to learn the rules and some etiquette. i am up 4-0 in a 5-2 race. each rack i win this guy starts getting louder and whinier . 5th rack he runs over and grabs the cue ball after i played a safe. i said it was a good hit. he says your ball did not hit a rail. i said no but the cue ball did.

i get bih back and miss the shot cause he is still complaining while i am shooting. he is left with a easy shot on the 8. i sit down . he says ...you gonna make me shoot this easy 8 ? my score keeper pipes up and says the rack aint over until the 8 drops. he starts laughing while getting down on the shot and says...i cant believe you are gonna make me take this easy shot.

hill-hill. he is still jawing and i say fvck it i am ready for this game to be over. i hit one of my balls into the 8 and pocket the 8 early. he starts laughing after the shot and turns around to his team mates and say ...i beat a 5. i say ...yep ...congratulations ....maybe you will move up to a 3 where you dont belong. he just looked at me funny . dumb fvck did not realize i just dumped on him.

i was not proud of myself for the way i handled it but you had to be there to understand it. the next night at league i told the lo ...who happens to play on my wed night team what went down....including me dumping and why. he said he will talk to the guy.

wed night i face a 4 in a 4-3 race. i win the 1st 3 and he comes back and wins the next 3 and the match.

fri night i face another 5 and win 4-1.

i have masters playoffs today. i am honestly surprised i wound up with a 6-6 record this session. i believe masters has really helped my game " when i have my head straight " and attribute it to me being raised to a 6 in 9 ball recently.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
its been a crazy week for me.

i met my 1st real asshole in apa tue night. the guy is only a 2 and needs to learn the rules and some etiquette.

Hears the funny thing, I had a very similar experience as well this week in APA. I meant to post something about it all week, but just didnt have the chance. My post starts out with almost the exact same first sentence as yours (lol).

I met my 1st real asshole in APA Monday night :mad:

He is a SL6, so he needs 4 and I need 5 to win.

I could tell right off the bat, the guy was a jackass. When its time for the lag, and I always introduce myself, offer a hand shake, and a 'good luck to you', and most people do likewise. Well, this guy didnt have any intentions on offer the same pleasantries. I said my name and offered a handshake, and he paused, as if I was putting him out, and gave a reluctant handshake. Right there, I could tell he was an ass.

I win the lag, and as hes racking one of the younger guys on my team says to me, 'this guys pretty good, he shoots on the 9 footer down the club all the time and he plays good on it'. So right there, im thinking ok good, I need to step it up and not slack off on this guy.

I break, drop a ball, and I ask him 'I am what I make on the break, correct?'.

He says back, 'Ya, didnt anyone go over the rules with you!?!'

I said (still being calm and polite), 'Yes, but our whole team is new to APA, and the rules are a little different than I'm used to. I watched the video in the link my captain sent to me, but I was just making sure. I'm used to it still being open with a single ball dropped on the break..'

I have no shot whatsoever, and miss. He gets up, makes a ball and misses. I then start to run out what was a very hard rack to run out (2 sets of balls clumped up). During my out, as I was bridging over 2 of his balls, I bumped them (both) slightly with my big ape-like fingers. I back up, look at him, and ask what the rule is on it (I just barely bumped both of them, hardly moving at all, and assume that he can leave them as they are, or can put them back to where he thinks they should go).

He gives out a huff and shakes his head and says (loudly), 'Whos your captain, ask him!'.

Now mind you, I'm now irritated at this clown (Im also a big guy, 6'4", 250, and 15 years younger than this ass :mad:, and I'd beat on him with one arm if pushed to), but I still keep my cool, and finish running out the rack.. As hes slamming the balls down to rack up the second game, he says,

'New player my ass! No new player runs out a rack like that!'

I then say (more sternly now), 'I never said I was new to pool, only that I was new to APA. Obviously I can play a little..'.

First off, hes a 6 and Im spotting him a game! What gave him the Idea I was trying to come off as some new player who didnt know how to play. Like I was trying to hustle him or something in a league match :speechless:

I end up winning 5-1, with his only win coming off a scratch on the 8 ball, after I made it from a break and run :banghead:

He acted like a baby the whole time, saying stuff, slamming his cue and throwing it into the corner, just a real clown.

Even Tried to call a foul on me after I locked him up on a safe and got ball in hand. He said I used my ferrule to position the cue ball, when I clearly didnt (wasnt even close either), and his captain even said I didnt..

Afterwards he stormed out of the bar. I could see his team was embarrassed by him. Later on, his captain said I was correct in asking my opponent about any rules I was unfamiliar with, and not to ask my own captain without calling a timeout. Said his guy was being an ass cause he was getting whooped on..

Im now 3-0, beating a 5, and (2) 6's so far.

End of rant, sorry so long...

Last edited:

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we lost in the last round of LTC's. Bit of a heartbreaker, our 2 3-0d their 3 to leave our top guy having to get to the hill to win. Oh well maybe next year. Still have minimania to look forward to.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we lost in the last round of LTC's. Bit of a heartbreaker, our 2 3-0d their 3 to leave our top guy having to get to the hill to win. Oh well maybe next year. Still have minimania to look forward to.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

we wound up 3rd in master league play offs today. it seems i have started playing better in masters than i do my handicap divisions. i just get up for higher level opponents and seem to be playing down to my opponents in handicapped divisions lately....also i really get up for play offs and such.

lost my 1st match 7-6. . i lost the lag and chose 8 ball. i won 4-1. 9 ball was a battle and it got to 6-4 ...me . then my opponent made 3 early 9 combos in a row to win 7-6. i never got to the table the last 3 racks. :frown:

2nd match . i lost the lag and chose 8 ball again. i won 5-0. we did not need to go to 9 ball because our team scored enough points.

3rd match. i lost 7-6 again. i won 8 ball 3-2 but lost 9 ball 3-5. i can hang with most of the master players in 8 ball but i still have a ways to go in 9 ball.

i have one moreshot at vegas with 9 ball ltc's next weekend.

good luck out there in the minis bob . :thumbup:

drhanson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost to an APA level 4 in 8-ball. 3 games to my 1..........in 8 total innings over the course of the four games! When stuff like that happens, I just shrug it off and understand that I did my part to ensure that the player gets a promotion in rank.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost to an APA level 4 in 8-ball. 3 games to my 1..........in 8 total innings over the course of the four games! When stuff like that happens, I just shrug it off and understand that I did my part to ensure that the player gets a promotion in rank.

4 racks in 8 innings is s/l 5 territory. That one match will not make him go up unless he is on the bubble.

Speaking of innings. A few weeks ago I ran 38 points in 6 innings playing 9 ball. My lo told me at masters Sunday that 38 in 6 innings was s/l 7 territory. What do you guys think ?

Btw ....i was raised to a 6 :grin-square:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I came back this week, and discovered I've been raised to a C. Played a D+, giving 2 games in a race to 9. Lost 8-9. Being a newly minted C is tough.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
4 racks in 8 innings is s/l 5 territory. That one match will not make him go up unless he is on the bubble.

Speaking of innings. A few weeks ago I ran 38 points in 6 innings playing 9 ball. My lo told me at masters Sunday that 38 in 6 innings was s/l 7 territory. What do you guys think ?

Btw ....i was raised to a 6 :grin-square:

4 racks in 8 innings is sl5 territory?

I've been a five here for years and might average 2 racks in 8 innings. I said might....probably a game and a half for me.

That's more like 6's here. Sigh