how are ya'll doing in league ?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Two guys on my 9-ball team are just like that, bouncing back and forth between 5 & 6. Fortunately they don't often go to 6 at the same time :p tho we're constructed to make it work if it does happen.

I can't ever get consistent enough to get bumped to a 6. And that annoys the stuff out of me. I play with all these guys, often. 5's, 6's and 7's. I can hang with'em. Just not when it counts. Yet.

I think there is something about the jump from 38 to 46 balls (points) in going from a 5 to a 6 an mental / emotional block of some sort. That seems to be the toughest jump to make. Maybe because you're moving into being a "Senior Level Player" and crossing that barrier. It's a tough jump to make and when you first make the jump it's tough to stay and get comfortable being a 6. I think you have to carefully manage your play and opponents when you become a 6 or it can become a long process. Hang in there. I think as the weather gets better our play tends to pick up, it'll get easier and when you do get comfortable you'll find yourself moving to being a 7

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a Top Dawg tourney yesterday...combo of 8 and 9 ball. Tore through my first opponent 5-0. Immediately had to play my next opponent. He jumped out to 2-0 lead, then 2-1. He got to the hill, 4-1...when i cut the 9 in and cue ball ran to cross corner and scratched. I fought back, getting it to hill-hill, 4-4! I was on the 9 for the match, with a hard cut. 9 ball hung in pocket...literally hanging over the edge. I was eliminated. I can't stop playing that shot over and over in my head.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think there is something about the jump from 38 to 46 balls (points) in going from a 5 to a 6 an mental / emotional block of some sort. That seems to be the toughest jump to make. Maybe because you're moving into being a "Senior Level Player" and crossing that barrier. It's a tough jump to make and when you first make the jump it's tough to stay and get comfortable being a 6. I think you have to carefully manage your play and opponents when you become a 6 or it can become a long process. Hang in there. I think as the weather gets better our play tends to pick up, it'll get easier and when you do get comfortable you'll find yourself moving to being a 7

7? Hell, I can't even make it to 6! :p

The reality is that I'm not playing enough. Both practice and play. Not enuf table time. That has got to be the first step towards more consistency, which is what seems to be the difference between me and the 6's.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7? Hell, I can't even make it to 6! :p

The reality is that I'm not playing enough. Both practice and play. Not enuf table time. That has got to be the first step towards more consistency, which is what seems to be the difference between me and the 6's.

I play a heck of a lot more than you and my consistency sucks :angry:

I showed up at league last night and saw I was raised to a 6 in 9 ball....again.

Lost to another 6 46-40

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At work...had to log off for a minute lol

Played the same guy 8 ball and he is a 5 like me and I won 4-2

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
A new NAPA session started about 5-6 weeks ago. It's my first session in almost a year. Last year at this time, I was playing two divisions, one was every wednesday and the other was a singles division where you had to coordinate with your opponent to play. The singles was kind of a mess because you not only had to work around all the other league nights but each other's schedules and all that. I had fun but don't want to deal with it anymore.

So anyway I'm playing roughly every-other week. Out of three matches so far, I'm 2-1 and that one loss still kind of stings. I was playing 10-ball and was on the hill (my opponent needed two games.) I was on the 10-ball and had to cut it thin in a side pocket but I could see that the cue ball was going to scratch in the side. So I loaded up with draw, put the 10-ball in the heart of the pocket, and put the cue ball straight into the other corner!

So now it's hill-hill with my opponent breaking. Sure enough, 10 on the snap.

In my latest match, I needed 6 in a 6-3 8-ball race. I won 6-1 and that one loss was me scratching on the 8-ball.

So for taking almost a year off and just playing/practicing alone at home, I don't seem to have much rust. :thumbup:

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA singles regionals coming up this Saturday, as a fairly new 5 its a huge question mark what I'm going to face up there. Also with modified single elimination there's that question of whether you're better off riding the winner or losers side. I've been trying to increase my practice time and have been reading the 8 ball section of Capelle's book, pretty good refresher on certain shots/safety options.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New season about to start, looking to back to back this one. Feeling really good at the table and behind the cue, time will tell.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
More of the same from me.

Two weeks ago, I played really well. Beat a strong 7, who obviously wasn't on his game that night. But most everything I wanted to do, I did. If I missed, it wasn't by much, and probly wasn't a high percentage shot anyway. Great feeling.

One week later, I cant run three balls.

Frustrated is an understatement.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not posted mu h on here lately. I had some major changes take place in my personal life and have cut back playing a little.

Was raised to a 6 in 9 ball last week for the 3rd time this year.

Son major UPS and downs playing this past week.

Lost to another 6 by 46-32 cri night

Lost to a 5 who has never beat me in my 5 years in apa by 19-1 Sunday night.

Beat another 6 by 46-42 tonight .i was lucky to win cause he was really coming back after I was up 26-17 at one time

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA singles regionals coming up this Saturday, as a fairly new 5 its a huge question mark what I'm going to face up there. Also with modified single elimination there's that question of whether you're better off riding the winner or losers side. I've been trying to increase my practice time and have been reading the 8 ball section of Capelle's book, pretty good refresher on certain shots/safety options.

Good luck.

I qualified for our regionals I which is being held this Saturday also

Thing is I will not be going due to some personal issues arising this past week

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck.

I qualified for our regionals I which is being held this Saturday also

Thing is I will not be going due to some personal issues arising this past week
Thanks.

Sorry to hear you're missing your regionals, hope everything turns out ok.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks.

Sorry to hear you're missing your regionals, hope everything turns out ok.

Nothing bad.....just added responsibility of having my son with me now who had been living with my ex for the last 12 years.

Drastic change from being able to do what I want when I want but its a good change:grin-square:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't seem to win, ever, in Masters....but keep winning by large margins in regular league. Sooo frustrating!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't seem to win, ever, in Masters....but keep winning by large margins in regular league. Sooo frustrating!

Same here lately. Dont look at my master stats often but last time I looked I was at 25%.

Blow some of my opponents away in handicapped divisions every now and then myself and was raised to a 6 recently

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I lost in the finals in my bracket at regionals so no Vegas. I did get a small plaque and raised to a 6 in the semi final round for my efforts though! I've only been a 5 for a couple months and was a 3 last August... I have improved some but I'm definitely over ranked now I think. Only option from here is to put in more table time to be competitive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mental Collapse @ Regionals

Well had the best opportunity for Vegas on Saturday (APA/CPA 8-Ball Singles Regionals) and had a complete mental collapse.

I was in the SL7 board and leading up to the day shooting some of the most consistent pool I ever have. The board had only 12 players in it and many of the top players didn't qualify for one reason or another.

Arrived at the hall around 10:30 and found I received a first round bye. Played my first match at about 1:30 and easily took it 5 to 1. Second match was against a solid player form out of town which took place around 4:15, which I again easily won 5 to 1. Both matches so far only took me 40-60mins.

Then the semi-finals are called at 8:30 and I have been sitting since 5pm. I'm tired, not focused, cold and out of stroke. Even at this point I managed to get up 3-0 before the mental errors really came into play. Many times I got to the table with ball inhand and only a few balls on the table to runout. My mental game was so far gone that I would stand there with no idea what to shoot or how to get shape on the next ball. My opponent ended up getting to the hill first (4-3) when I got lucky and he scratched on the 8. Now its hill-hill (4-4).

I decide I need to do something, so I took a short bathroom break, splashed water on my face, grabbed a pop and went back to the table, feeling better. I dry-breaked and gave my opponent an open table with a nice spread. He ran all, but scratched after pocketing his last ball before the 8. I stepped to the table, ran my 7 balls and left the cueball about 3 inches from the 8 and twelve inches straight into the corner.

Now the first issue, one major flaw to my game is the anxiety I get when I have to shoot and the object ball is too close to the cueball, and yes 3 inches is too close for me. I'm always worried about double hitting and have been this way for '15 years'. The second issue is I need to use the rake to reach the shot and this compiled onto the first has me very worried. I shook it off the best I could, approached the table and lined it up. The whole time reminding myself to not double hit and not to worry about overthinking, because who would miss this only being twelve inches from the pocket.

I pulled the trigger, 8 ball striking the horns and coming to rest on the lip of the pocket. At that moment I realized that again, like so many times before I didn't give the "easy" shot the respect it deserved. Match over, I lost and no Vegas this spring!

As I always attempt to do when things like this happen, I remember, learn from and chalk it up as a lesson and there were a couple lessons. The first (for me) is that every shot deserves the same respect no matter how easy it appears. The second, is that in 'Modified-Double Elimination' its better to lose at the point when you still can go to the B-Side, so that you get to keep playing. I know if I had a match directly before the semi-finals this wouldn't have happened.

I have qualified for regionals in the Fall and losing at the right time in order to stay playing on the B-Side and avoid the long wait to play will be the game plan. People may not agree with this, but if its what I need to do to win then that is what will have to be done.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Run out or die.....

This is my first year in our cities VNEA league open divison.

I can't say it's much of a shock because I've been playing in tournaments with open players for years.

I am disappointed that I'm only winning about %40 of my games.

I suppose I should just consider it the new dues at this level.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league

Small local league , about 100+ players , no handicap straight up 8 ball . No ball in hand . Call pocket , fun league .
My team was 19 games ahead of 2end place when we started last weeks matches , have not received the results from last week for the other teams , but we won our match 11-4 , Nothing matters till playoffs , we could loose it all in playoffs , fact we did year before last , won the regular season , lost it in playoffs . Still fun tho .