BECUE arrived - review

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as I promised here are my thoughts about BECUE after two hours of shooting yesterday.

1) The packaging - well opening the package was like a siege of Fort Knox, LOTS of styrofoam, LOTS of ducttape, I believe BECUE would survive being ran-over by 18wheeler :D Job very well done in that department :)

2) The grip - I liked the grip as it has smooth wrapless feel and I suspect that the grip is slightly smaller radius than is used in most cues - I take it as a plus because the grip can be more relaxed that way.

3) The aiming - white colour of the shaft is pure BOMB!!! No distraction by the painting of the wood, no reflections from the lights, no nothing..just pure white colour. This is so much better than normal wood..at least for me :) I had an opportunity to shoot with REVO and the black colour was something that I felt as a negative thing because of the all reflections from the light made it quite difficult to aim properly - BECUE definitely beats REVO and wooden shafts in this department for me! As for the white finish of the shaft it is smooth BUT it is not as perfectly smooth as I am used to with my wooden shaft. On the other hand I started to use Kamui glove few days back so it isnt an issue with me and I believe almost anybody would be happy with it, I am just a perfectionist in this department :D

4) The deflection - BECUE has considerably lower deflection than REVO and I would say BECUE has even slightly lower deflection than my WX900 shaft. I would rate it about the same as Z3 deflection-wise.

5) The taper - I would say BECUE is halfway between pro-taper and euro-taper, no problem with closed bridge at all.

6) The weight and balance system - I didnt weight BECUE but I would say it is about 19oz going by the feel. It is evenly balanced and feels good. For anyone who enjoys a heavier cue BECUE has a balance system (they call it "Leonardo Balance system") where you can easily add 4 different weights to your cue so basically you can choose whichever weight you want in 19-21oz range.

7) The energy transfer, the hit - BECUE delivers a punch comparable with solid maple shaft and outperforms wooden LD shafts by a mile. BECUE performs very similar to REVO in this department, both shafts work great, they can draw cueball or masse WAY easier than wooden LD shafts. There is one thing that is really different from wooden shafts - I didnt feel any vibrations during the hit! I dont know how BECUE guys did it but I believe this is the reason why the transfer of the energy is so good. As for the sound of the hit - it is quite dampened to what I am used to with wooden shaft, but to compare it better I plan to rettip from Ultraskin medium which is installed on the shaft to Kamui Original hard, then I will be able to say more about the sound comparison.

To make my review complete I have to say there were two things not so positive about BECUE. First the tip - it was not trimmed very good and the tip wasnt even burnished on the sides, I had to shape it as well. The second issue was with the butt of BECUE - about 2cm from the joint there were tiny dents rising above the surface of the finish but I need to say again - these were really tiny..like dots made by a pen rising above the finish like 0,1mm. I communicated these issues with BECUE, they want to provide me with a new butt so I would have a perfect cue but like I said those dots seem like a minor cosmetic flaw to me with no effect on playability and dont bother me in any way so I wont definitely press the issue.

Thats all I can say about BECUE so far, soon I will shoot some vids with BECUE so you can see/hear what BECUE does.

Attachments

• becue case.jpg
    becue case.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 4,117
  • becue joint+butt.jpg
    becue joint+butt.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 4,129
  • becue balance system.jpg
    becue balance system.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 4,120
  • becue screwed together.jpg
    becue screwed together.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 4,079

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
One thing in your review immediately jumps out at me. Your description of the deflection.

If I understand correct your list is like this:

Revo (highest deflection)
WX900
Z3 / BeCue (lowest deflection)

But I have played with all of these shafts except the BeCue and my list is:

WX900 (highest deflection)
Z3
Revo (lowest deflection)

Did I misunderstand or are our experiences really so different with these shafts?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing in your review immediately jumps out at me. Your description of the deflection.

If I understand correct your list is like this:

Revo (highest deflection)
WX900
Z3 / BeCue (lowest deflection)

But I have played with all of these shafts except the BeCue and my list is:

WX900 (highest deflection)
Z3
Revo (lowest deflection)

Did I misunderstand or are our experiences really so different with these shafts?

Well you understood it right. I forgot to mention one thing, my WX900 is 11.6mm so it has lower deflection than new WX900 which is 12mm I believe. And yes, Z3 I have has lower deflection than REVO i had opportunity to shoot with.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review :thumbup:

Looks nice enough and seems that you like to play with it also so money well spent here :wink:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
What is the cost and are they available to purchase? (I couldn't find them for sale online).

This sounds like the next generation of cue in terms of performance characteristics. This is what I am hoping synthetics will produce.

Last edited:
What is the cost and are they available to purchase? (I couldn't find them for sale online).

This sounds like the next generation of cue in terms of performance characteristics. This is what I am hoping synthetics will produce.

I think it was kind of like a prototype, but not really. They were made in limited quantity to try to raise the funds to produce more in the future I think.

Here is the thread I found about them awhile back.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=442251&highlight=becue

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was kind of like a prototype, but not really. They were made in limited quantity to try to raise the funds to produce more in the future I think.

Here is the thread I found about them awhile back.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=442251&highlight=becue

Not a prototype, they recently started a normal production cycle. :wink: When I asked them BECUE guys told me they are getting ready their new website which should be up in next 2-3 weeks. As far as my BECUE goes I changed the tip to Kamui Original hard and the sound became nicely crisp which I really like. Because of the tournament I played this weekend I didnt have that much time to test BECUE but I took it with me to the tournament and let other players to test it for a while. Everybody loved how BECUE draws the cueball effortlessly, they all were "WFT?!?" on their first shot:grin:

Anyway I had some ideas about improving the shaft so I talked with BECUE guys about certain customizations to BECUE shaft which I would like (smaller diameter- 11,5mm, slightly longer different taper) and it seems that BECUE guys are willing to make me a custom shaft under one condition - if they like the shaft with my specs they will use these as a template to their new model of the shaft :D Who am I to argue.. :wink: So I decided to wait for the new shaft before I continue to shoot with BECUE, it wouldnt make sense to learn to shoot with a shaft I wont play in the end :wink:

As for the future - BECUE is developing a new break cue and they asked me if I wanted to be their first tester because of the detailed feedback I was able to provide them about BECUE :eek::eek::wink: I was pretty much excited about such opportunity so I agreed right away :wink: This is going to be one wild ride with BECUE and I am enjoying every second of it!!! STAY TUNED:thumbup:

Not a prototype, they recently started a normal production cycle. :wink: When I asked them BECUE guys told me they are getting ready their new website which should be up in next 2-3 weeks. As far as my BECUE goes I changed the tip to Kamui Original hard and the sound became nicely crisp which I really like. Because of the tournament I played this weekend I didnt have that much time to test BECUE but I took it with me to the tournament and let other players to test it for a while. Everybody loved how BECUE draws the cueball effortlessly, they all were "WFT?!?" on their first shot:grin:

Anyway I had some ideas about improving the shaft so I talked with BECUE guys about certain customizations to BECUE shaft which I would like (smaller diameter- 11,5mm, slightly longer different taper) and it seems that BECUE guys are willing to make me a custom shaft under one condition - if they like the shaft with my specs they will use these as a template to their new model of the shaft :D Who am I to argue.. :wink: So I decided to wait for the new shaft before I continue to shoot with BECUE, it wouldnt make sense to learn to shoot with a shaft I wont play in the end :wink:

As for the future - BECUE is developing a new break cue and they asked me if I wanted to be their first tester because of the detailed feedback I was able to provide them about BECUE :eek::eek::wink: I was pretty much excited about such opportunity so I agreed right away :wink: This is going to be one wild ride with BECUE and I am enjoying every second of it!!! STAY TUNED:thumbup:

You do understand that the harder the tip, the easier it is to get better draw on the cue ball, right? Any cue with a good quality hard tip on it will give the player the ability to get much longer (and effortless) draw shots. That might be a good part of the reason why the players who tried it out were able to get such crazy draw shots from it. If the deflection of the shaft is anything like the original Z shaft (is the Z3 even lower deflection then the original Predator Z?), then I think I would hate it.

Last edited:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the main pro for a carbon cue? The resistance only? The cue would not warp?

Well from my experience both with BECUE and REVO carbon shafts are stiffer than wooden shafts, the transfer of the energy is WAY better with the carbon shaft while maintaining low deflection properties. Hope this helps ;)

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do understand that the harder the tip, the easier it is to get better draw on the cue ball, right? Any cue with a good quality hard tip on it will give the player the ability to get much longer (and effortless) draw shots. That might be a good part of the reason why the players who tried it out were able to get such crazy draw shots from it. If the deflection of the shaft is anything like the original Z shaft (is the Z3 even lower deflection then the original Predator Z?), then I think I would hate it.

To be honest my experience says the direct opposite. And also I was told that the softer the tip the longer contact with the cueball tip has hence the more spin it is able to transfer. Anyway before I changed ultraskin medium to kamui hard on BECUE the drawshots from BECUE were even more insane. As for low deflection (i can compare Z2 vs Z3 and Z3 has definitely lower deflection) BECUE is about the same as Z3. So if you dont like these ultra low deflection shafts BECUE is definitely NOT the cue for you ;) BECUE is not the cue for everybody, BECUE is for a player who wants low deflection cue with the transfer of energy of solid maple shaft. For me BECUE is perfect, for you probably not, thats why there are so many cuemakers and so many different joints, tapers, weights..every player is original with his/her specific needs ;)

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well from my experience both with BECUE and REVO carbon shafts are stiffer than wooden shafts, the transfer of the energy is WAY better with the carbon shaft while maintaining low deflection properties.

BECUE is not the cue for everybody, BECUE is for a player who wants low deflection cue with the transfer of energy of solid maple shaft.

So which is it? Way more energy transferred with carbon, or the same as solid maple?

Are players having trouble getting energy transferred to the cue ball? :confused: I don't think I've experienced this problem. Not putting the BECUE down, I think it's just a terminology issue.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So which is it? Way more energy transferred with carbon, or the same as solid maple?

Are players having trouble getting energy transferred to the cue ball? :confused: I don't think I've experienced this problem. Not putting the BECUE down, I think it's just a terminology issue.

Way more energy transfered than LD maple shaft, about the same as solid maple shaft. What I mean by this - with the same stroke you can draw cueball longer distance with BECUE/solid maple shaft than with LD maple shaft. Is it more understandable now? ;)

To be honest my experience says the direct opposite. And also I was told that the softer the tip the longer contact with the cueball tip has hence the more spin it is able to transfer. Anyway before I changed ultraskin medium to kamui hard on BECUE the drawshots from BECUE were even more insane. As for low deflection (i can compare Z2 vs Z3 and Z3 has definitely lower deflection) BECUE is about the same as Z3. So if you dont like these ultra low deflection shafts BECUE is definitely NOT the cue for you ;) BECUE is not the cue for everybody, BECUE is for a player who wants low deflection cue with the transfer of energy of solid maple shaft. For me BECUE is perfect, for you probably not, thats why there are so many cuemakers and so many different joints, tapers, weights..every player is original with his/her specific needs ;)

The original Predator Z shaft had an 11.75mm tip on it (if I remember correctly), and I think it had a conical taper in the shaft. It had what felt like zero flex on follow through, if that makes sense. The shaft was as stiff as a steel rod (as if it had a steel rod inside the wooden shaft). I heard that the Mezz Hybrid Pro 2 has a similar stiff hitting feeling (with a zero flex in the shaft, on follow through). So, if the Z2 and Z3 shafts were similar to the original Z shaft, and the BECUE shaft are similar to those, then yeah, I can safely say that I am sure that I would hate the feel of the BECUE shaft. If you have ever hit with the original 314 Predator (the one without the cat logo, and just the 314 as a logo), that is an LD shaft that I would love to get my hands on again (my most favorite, and best hitting LD shaft that I have ever had).

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the main pro for a carbon cue? The resistance only? The cue would not warp?

I was notified by the guys that I'll be receiving a BeCue shortly as the cues reach final assembly.

Marek's review is excellent and just the result I would expect after detailed discussions with the cue makers over the last few months.

As far as the advantages...The main advantage I'm looking forward to is playing with a shaft that will never wear down, get weak, separate at the lamination seams, crack at the ferrule, etc.

There's nothing more disappointing than practically living with one shaft for two years on a pool table then having a structural failure before a tournament. Or the hours of use cause the coke bottle taper in the shaft off the fact that the abrasives on the chalk and your hand eventually win against the wood.
Shane VB recently had the inevitable failure during the DCC and had to play with his back up shaft.

I believe players can adapt to any material/form of shaft as long as the equipment is built to the players needs. So carbon fiber at the right size, weight, length...could be a solution.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
marek...I know you're an expert player, however, the contact time MAY change from 1/1000th of a second to possibly 2/1000ths of a second, with a soft tip. The difference between one millisecond and two milliseconds is not enough to make any substancial difference in the outcome. The quality of the stroke is what creates the action on the CB.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

And also I was told that the softer the tip the longer contact with the cueball tip has hence the more spin it is able to transfer.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin...Here you go again, spouting off about things you know nothing about. Why is it that you are absolutely compelled to try and come off as an expert...when you are nothing of the kind? Quality strokes are what create good action on the CB...not tip hardness. It's simply personal preference on what tip hardness someone prefers.

Scott Lee

You do understand that the harder the tip, the easier it is to get better draw on the cue ball, right? Any cue with a good quality hard tip on it will give the player the ability to get much longer (and effortless) draw shots. That might be a good part of the reason why the players who tried it out were able to get such crazy draw shots from it.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
marek...I know you're an expert player, however, the contact time MAY change from 1/1000th of a second to possibly 2/1000ths of a second, with a soft tip. The difference between one millisecond and two milliseconds is not enough to make any substancial difference in the outcome. The quality of the stroke is what creates the action on the CB.

Scott Lee

Well like i said - that was something I was told (by two very respected instructors ) ;) In the end my experience tells me that it is easier to draw the cueball with soft tip, at least that was my experience many years ago when my stroke was not as it is today. And I know that the contact time between the tip and the cueball is very short, on the other hand as you wrote yourself the soft tip has twice the time to induce the spin on the cueball and that MAY be worth something.
Nowadays I can draw the cueball with broomstick if you put a tip on it but why not to go for those few more % of accuracy if they are there - less power needed = more control over cueball - thats how i see it ;)

Last edited: