Another rules question.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the guys at the local Sunday 8 Ball tournament said there is a 3 foul rule in 8 Ball, just like 9 Ball and that when you lag the cue ball cannot touch the end rail on the return trip.

I told them unless they are making up new BCA rules they are mistaken.

Who is right. I have a confusing rule book.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the guys at the local Sunday 8 Ball tournament said there is a 3 foul rule in 8 Ball, just like 9 Ball and that when you lag the cue ball cannot touch the end rail on the return trip.

They be smoking the matanuska thunderfook..... :thumbup:

There is NO 3 foul in 8 ball. The bit about the lag is incorrect also.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm pretty sure Darren Appleton's 8b events have a three foul rule. It's a rule he added

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lag foul? No chance. As for 3foul 8b, i've never played it but i can't see why a tourn. direct. couldn't use it to speed things up.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When in Rome.............

randyg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The rules of the lag, can't cross the center of the table (lengthwise of course LOL), can't fall in a pocket, cant go down then back up table (so two length of table max travel, up to the short rail and back down), no lagging after the opponent already hit the ball and it hit the cushion (so you can't judge the speed of his lag to time yours), no practice lag during start of match. Hitting the bottom rail is fine, on a single up and down trip.

I did have fun using an "advanced lag mode" once though where I set a ball on the rail and said the lag did not count unless we got it within the ball distance of the rail.

There is a stalemate rule in 8 ball but no 3 foul rule.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys

Thanks for the input guys. The owner is new to the pool scene and very open when I talk to him. I can remind him of what the rules say and accept what he wants them to be.

At least we are shooting pool and I don't see it effecting the out come of my games either way.

pudgie100

Registered
I think if it's a local the director can make any rules he wants and should state them.

If it's a sanctioned event, then the rules of the sanctioning body must be followed.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny how many people think that's the rule with the lag. I've heard that a lot. I guess they're mixing it up with other games like blackjack and the Price is Right.

I think if it's a local the director can make any rules he wants and should state them.

If it's a sanctioned event, then the rules of the sanctioning body must be followed.

It's one thing to intentionally modify rules, it's another to try to play by official rules and just be wrong.