how are ya'll doing in league ?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
playing a sl2 is very tough; they only need 19 balls to win (vs my 38). So basically spotting them 2.5 racks. I played ok, winning waaaay too close 38-17.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had Tricup this weekend for APA 9 ball. We breezed through the first rounds. The last round was Saturday. Our 3 won her first match 19-1. But sadly we lost the next 3 matches. The last match was me against a 7. For us to win. I had to beat him 14-6. I won. It came do to him needing 14 to advance and me needing 4. It was a barn burner too. He broke. Ran 10. Next rack he broke. Made 1. I was sweating. But he missed a easy one in the side pocket. I ran my 4 to win. It was pure excitement getting my team through.

Just a reminder to never count yourself out. Big shoutout to my team for rooting me on every shot.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Our Tri Cup was this past Saturday... Got a bye for the first round, nice. Second round, won it in three matches, 2-0, 2-0, 2-0. Very cool...

Third round, we start off getting skunked, down 0-3. Sigh. Next match, my player is shooting on the 8 to skunk his opponent and tie us up, and scratches. Two point swing, cuz that put his opponent on the hill, so now we're down 4-2.

I play my 7 in the third match, vs their 5. My guy managed to drop one game, so now we're tied 4-4. My 3 vs their 4, she wins the first game, all she needs to do is win one more and we're in....loses the next three. Score is 6-5 them.... all I can play is my 4 vs their 6, who runs over my guy.

Sigh....gotta try and get back again this session.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Easing up some

Quit Wednesday and Thursday. Still play snooker on Thursday night.
Started a monthly league about 8 months ago. Started a Monday league 6 weeks ago.
Playing all games except 1-hole, 10-ball and 3C.
Doing great.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lost both 8 and 9 ball Sunday night. They were 2 very close matches.

Both my opponents played like it was playoffs or something instead of a regular league night. I swear I have never had so many safe played against me in a regular league night. Most people save that kind of stuff for when it really matters because we all want to go home at a decent hour during the week..

In 8 ball my opponent played 18 safes and I had no choice but to play 5 myself . Lost 4-3 in a 4-4 race.

Pretty much the same situation in 9 ball. My opponent played 12 safes and I played 4. In the last rack I was up 43-34 in a 46-38 race with me breaking. I made a ball but was hooked on the one. My opponent got bih and ran the 4 balls he needed for the win.

I guess that team was bound and determined to try and catch us....or at least knock us down a little. We are 2nd in 9 ball and 3rd in 8 ball. Every one on that team was playing safes and as a result we did not get through until 11:45 and we usually finish by 10:30. I wound up oversleeping and was late for work....dang it.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally joined a 14.1 league. After the first week, I was raised from a D to a D+. The couple who runs the league tends to watch new players, especially ones that claim to be a D player. Basically they said my fundamentals was the reason for the raise.

Now mind you, it's not an astronomical raise, but it is nice to get some recognition about something I'm doing right.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday APA 9 ball - I was on point and beat one of the best, if not the best, person in the league 65-46 (I'm an 8 and he's a 9).

Tuesday APA 8 ball - Lost 4-2 to a 6 (I'm a 7), had some good safety battles but I just couldn't focus due to team drama. It had me so pissed I text the two people after league and told them to get their shit together - I don't go to league to deal with that.

Wednesday BCA 8 ball - 36 out of 40 (3 wins and I should not have lost the one game). I had a B&R going but then eff'd up and missed shape on my 8. Was perfectly straight on last ball and had to cheat pocket (from 18" away?) and stun over about a foot, didn't cheat enough and left a super thin cut - I over cut the 8 but eventually won the game.

APA MVP Tournament last weekend. Took third. I was down 43-16 and I came back to lost 65-62 (we're both 8's). I looked at the score early (when it was 43-16) and my opponent said "Oh, I still have a long way to go", and I said, I'm not worried about that, I'll catch you :) I had the break with 4 to go - he only needed one. Made one on the break and had a crap leave on the one which was on the rail with CB at other end almost locked up. I tried thinning it but couldn't see enough of the edge and I hit almost full, one came off rail and kicked whitey into the corner. Giving him BIH with one ball to go :eek:

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Since being raised to a SL7 in 9 ball I have just steadily been getting my a$$ handed to me. I can't seem to beat anyone. Even if I get matched up against a lower skill level they have generally just been curb stomping me. I can't get out of my head and my confidence is shot. I know its mostly mental because I'm running balls and I just don't get out. I either dog a shot or overrun position by a mile that ends up leaving me hooked or with a hard shot and ends my run usually leaving 3 or 4 hangers for an easy out for my opponent. I'm just super frustrated with my level of play right now..

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you are not the only one that might have had to go through the "trial by fire"...to prove yourself. One thing you might do is once the game or match has started, just focus on "one shot at a time". Go thru all the motions, look at the shot & see where the cue ball needs to be. Concentrate on that shot. Once you have made sure you are right (SPF) pull it back & shoot the ball, be sure to stay down & be focused. See if a little self made confidence won't get you through to the next match.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone struggles when they first go up a level. Peaks and valleys. Just play the table like you did when you were a 6. Don’t even worry about your opponent.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lost 9 ball last week, won 8 ball this week. Would really love to play up to my potential for a few solid weeks. Had a good 7 on the ropes in 9 ball last week, should have closed it out but failed...beat a player that I never have in 8 ball this week though...its all Helter Skelter when I get into league play anymore...noone knows what the hell is gonna happen.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
As the great philosopher Y.Berra once said, "90% of this game is half mental".

I've played so poorly the last month and a half, and its all attributed to mental breakdowns on my part. Not mentally disciplined enough. Last fall, I went thru a period of over two months where I was playing very well, since then, self-doubt and not being committed to the course of action has contributed to my poor play. I can detect it...it's correcting it that becomes the challenge.

Frustrating.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played lights out 9 ball last Monday...had a rackless that I finished off with a break and run. Got back to mediocre...7 and 7 this session. 7-5 in 8 ball. Hopefully the consistency will rear its ugly head next session

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing bad. Losing matches I shouldn't. Had a team mate ask me tonight If I was trying to go back down in 9 ball . That's bad.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing bad. Losing matches I shouldn't. Had a team mate ask me tonight If I was trying to go back down in 9 ball . That's bad.

That is bad.. But I know you're not doing that.

I have been shooting pretty good in 8 ball and 9 ball. I have APA Regional Singles this coming weekend for 9 ball. I'm looking forward to it. Just hoping I don't get nervous and play good pool.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't had a drink since New Years Eve and my game is finally showing up. I'm down to a 530 in USAPL(Fargo), last 3 weeks, I have beaten a 610, 566, and 571. Just need to stay focused and hold off on any beers until after my matches :grin:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is bad.. But I know you're not doing that.

I have been shooting pretty good in 8 ball and 9 ball. I have APA Regional Singles this coming weekend for 9 ball. I'm looking forward to it. Just hoping I don't get nervous and play good pool.

Yea...ts just an indication of how bad my teammate thinks i am playing lol

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i lost my first match of the session, in either 8 or 9, last night. I won 9 ball, but made 3 stupid mistakes in 8 ball that cost me my match. Trying for perfect shape cost me each time, even leading to a tough cut on the 8 ball...which caused me to scratch. My opponent took advantage...on the final 8, he missed, but cue ball ran around the table and knocked it in. Pool gods!!!

I look at it this way, 8 ball regionals this Saturday. I learned my lesson in time, so will be smarter!!