Game That Teaches The Most Skills?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Close between straight pool and one pocket, but I’m going with one pocket. The pattern building is harder, the defense is harder, there’s more billiard knowledge in play, and an end game that may test even the most imaginative of players to the limit.
Given most of the responses here, I'm hearing that a combination of 14.1 and 1 Pocket is the sweet spot for practicing most important skills. I think what those lack is the longer and harder shots/shape you're forced to try in rotation games.

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no "one game fits all". For me, practicing 14.1 builds confidence for pocketing balls, as well as tight cb control. If you play a lot of 8ball, practice straight pool for a couple of weeks and you'll find yourself running out little 8ball racks more often.

9 or 10 ball provides opportunity to let your stroke out, hitting 2 or 3 rail shape quite often, which helps develop speed control and a good feel for playing position off the cusions. But not the greatest games to learn tight cb control. I mean, as long as you have the angle to get to the next ball you're playing good enough position to run out. An inch off here or there isn't usually a run stopper. But "good enough" position isn't so hot when playing 8ball, straights, or one hole.

Near Pool is a great way to work on your creativity. If you've never played it, look it up. It's a great game for fun or gambling.

UPDATE: Can't find "near pool" rules anywhere. The way we played it years ago was simple: You can shoot any ball and score a point, but you must hit the nearest ball first (the ball closest to the cb). This ball can be pocketed straight into a hole, banked, kicked, used as the first ball in a combo, used for a carom into another ball, etc... We played no slop -- call all shots.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Strategies vary from game to game, some overlap, others don't, depending on which game you're playing. When playing 9b or 10b, or any rotation game for that matter, when setting up position for the next shot, it's extremely important to set your cue ball in a position so that when playing the next ball, you have at least a minimum angle to the nearest rail if the pathway is clear. Reason being, you don't have a choice of balls to shoot to get back in position to run out like when playing 14.1 or 8b. Always leaving yourself an angle to the short rail increases your ability and options to get position on your next ball. One pocket don't teach this strategy, neither does any other game of pool. The LAST thing you want playing 9b or 10b, is straight in shots, because it seriously limits your ability to get in position for the next shot.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that was the case, then in playing position on your next shot in rotation games, what is the most important thing to remembet?

With all due respect, I am not sure I understand your question...but as I guess...It's how to get position on the next shot so you will be in shape for subsequent shots.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball. Why, because I love to ride the cheese and it’s one of the main reasons I play pool. Don’t take that away from me.

Not joking.

I have won a lot of money with that one.

But to the op: I'd opine 1p is the game with the most rounded set of skills. Control of all balls, balancing your desires with the possibilities available...

The one hole(!!) In the game is ball running. One rarely stays at the table for long.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Post first!!!?

The main difference between a predominant 8b ball player and a predominant 9/10b player, is that they bring the strategies of their predominant game in to play the other. 8b players still try playing 9b with a pattern playing mentality, while 9b players play 8b like they play 9b, and don't really understand the 2 way shot set up playing 8b. Few players understand the difference in the cue ball position play between the 2 games, which why when gambling they always have a preference to play their strongest game. If they're not certain of your skillset, then one pocket becomes the game of conversation because it's not a run out game from the break, and when playing one pocket, your opponent can get a better look at your skills....before agreeing to play something else for money.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Or, at least a back door near the bathroom.😂

Only once have I used a door that said “emergency use only. ALARM WILL SOUND”....to my surprise the alarum did not sound and I made my way through back yards until coming to one of the canals in ocean city. Whereupon I was forced to make my way onto the main bridge. I was not spotted however and here I am today.

I’ll just keep playing, and practicing, all games. That’s the only way

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro after pro, from Willie Mosconi on down through the years said 14.1 Continuous, known more often a Straight Pool. I haven't seen any instructors in this thread, I don't think. Grady Mathews was emphatic about this as were many others over the years. While it may not teach much about banks, as someone has said, that would seem to me to depend on the individual. I laugh when I see someone post that "Straight Pool doesn't teach you the long shots needed for 9 ball!" I've never known anyone proficient at Straight Pool that didn't spend hours shooting long shots, me included.
It's all a matter of opinion and that's mine, along with Willie and many, many others.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that BB meant "Put the money up on the light," as the first thing to remember. That comes just before, "Determine if there a way out through the restroom window."

I did mean that, thanks.

I know what I mean, what the hell is wrong with the rest of youze!?!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Pro after pro, from Willie Mosconi on down through the years said 14.1 Continuous, known more often a Straight Pool. I haven't seen any instructors in this thread, I don't think. Grady Mathews was emphatic about this as were many others over the years. While it may not teach much about banks, as someone has said, that would seem to me to depend on the individual. I laugh when I see someone post that "Straight Pool doesn't teach you the long shots needed for 9 ball!" I've never known anyone proficient at Straight Pool that didn't spend hours shooting long shots, me included.
It's all a matter of opinion and that's mine, along with Willie and many, many others.

I’d say that’s true, and in the strictest sense of only being allowed to “practice” by playing one game while still having to compete against real people at all games then 14.1 would be mine.

I was picking up what you was laying down BB

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, at least a back door near the bathroom.😂

An olde road player told me once that when he began to feel the heat come up in a room, he'd go to the payphone and call the police, stating a police officer had been injured in the room.

He alleged responders came quickly, at which point he would exit.

Never had cause to try it, but I have left money behind in my own best interest.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-ball is my answer. Or 10-ball since they are basically the same game.

Reasoning:
1. 9-ball is very easy to practice alone vs the ghost.
2. As far as shot making and positioning goes, 9-ball requires the most skill to master. If you master 9-ball you should be able to be decent at the other games.
3. One pocket is the most versatile but it's so specialized that it wouldn't prepare you very well for other games. It's very difficult to practice alone. You won't be shooting many shots in 1-pocket so your shot making skills will take a long time to improve. The pace of 1-pocket is so uniquely slow that it would be hard to adapt to other games.
4. 3 cushion is also way too specialized for the skills to transfer over to other games. Even the table and balls are different than the other games.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it is obvious to all that one pocket has the widest variety of shots. It requires precise placement of both the object ball(s) and cue ball. There are many shots at one pocket that really don't make any sense at other games. There are many shots that are frequent at one pocket that are played in other games but are rare. One example of a skill that is essential at one pocket as in no other game is precise kicking.

Saved me a post Bob, but cost me this post of agreement. Lol. Only thing 1 pocket won't help much with are the standard routes for rotation pool like 9 ball. But pretty much everything else is found in this great game.

KMRUNOUT