Link Share: Brunswick CEO banks on boats and fitness, not bowling

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Q: You sold the bowling segment. Why not divest billiards?

A: It's a small part of our business, but we're still the biggest player in the billiards space. It's the namesake of the company."

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a crock. Jack White confronted the CEO of Brunswick 50 years ago about why they really did not support pool. His answer was that pool was so small they didn't really care. Still true today...sadly.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

A: It's a small part of our business, but we're still the biggest player in the billiards space. It's the namesake of the company."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

They sold the bowling part? I hadn't heard that.

As for the pool part, I suspect a large part of the value is in the name and that is probably not for sale.

And I thought that Brunswick was no longer the largest in pool (since they got rid of Valley) but I could easily be wrong.

Here is an interesting sidebar from a book about the history of the company that Brunswick commissioned in 1985, written by Rick Kogan, "Brunswick: The Story of an American Company from 1845 to 1985":

kogan 001.jpg

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It kinda sucks because of the heritage but not hard to understand. For anyone not familiar with powerboats now a days - check them out and I assure you you wil be FLOORED. Expect to pay $40k or more FOR A SINGLE OUTBOARD. Those $60k Searays of the 90's, yeah right. Try half million and up. It's incredible what boats / motors cost now - check it out.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They sold the bowling part? I hadn't heard that.

As for the pool part, I suspect a large part of the value is in the name and that is probably not for sale.

And I thought that Brunswick was no longer the largest in pool (since they got rid of Valley) but I could easily be wrong.

Here is an interesting sidebar from a book about the history of the company that Brunswick commissioned in 1985, written by Rick Kogan, "Brunswick: The Story of an American Company from 1845 to 1985":]

"They sold the bowling part? I hadn't heard that."
.........................................................................................

Neither had I.

Thru the magic of Google:

http://www.brunswickbowling.com/home/

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

F in fact checking, I'd say.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the link in the OP, dated March 14, 2016:

BY ROBERT CHANNICK
Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - Mark Schwabero, 63, was elevated to chairman and CEO of the 171-year-old Brunswick Corp. last month, putting him in charge of the world's largest provider of marine engines, pleasure boats, fitness equipment and billiards products. But not bowling.

In 2014, Brunswick, based in suburban Chicago, sold its retail bowling business to Bowlmor AMF for $270 million. The company sold its bowling products line - balls, shoes and bags - to a private investment firm last year for an undisclosed price.

Schwabero, who previously served as Brunswick's chief operating officer, was instrumental in the decision to jettison bowling, which had dwindled to less than 5 percent of revenue, in favor of its core businesses. Brunswick sales were up 7 percent last year to $4.1 billion.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/workplace/article65907142.html#storylink=cpy

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah we covered this story last year (on ABR) when Brunswick made the announcement....

Kinda ironic to see AMF buying out Brunswick bowling considering the rivalry that used to exist ( over the pinsetter). But truth be told, AMF had already gone bankrupt and had to be rescued by a European company -Bowlmor- who claims that they are going to take all the AMF and Brunswick bowling centers and " upgrade " them to nice entertainment venues.

The AMF center near me just closed permanently.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the link in the OP, dated March 14, 2016:

BY ROBERT CHANNICK
Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - Mark Schwabero, 63, was elevated to chairman and CEO of the 171-year-old Brunswick Corp. last month, putting him in charge of the world's largest provider of marine engines, pleasure boats, fitness equipment and billiards products. But not bowling.

In 2014, Brunswick, based in suburban Chicago, sold its retail bowling business to Bowlmor AMF for $270 million. The company sold its bowling products line - balls, shoes and bags - to a private investment firm last year for an undisclosed price.

Schwabero, who previously served as Brunswick's chief operating officer, was instrumental in the decision to jettison bowling, which had dwindled to less than 5 percent of revenue, in favor of its core businesses. Brunswick sales were up 7 percent last year to $4.1 billion.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/workplace/article65907142.html#storylink=cpy

Sooo, like Dufferin and Valey cues, we now have Brunswick Bowling in-name-only?

Dale