OB shaft or Mezz Cue

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Ive got a McDermott G series right now and Im debating buying the EC 7 Mezz in the classifieds or just getting an OB-1 shaft. What to do, what to do??

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive got a McDermott G series right now and Im debating buying the EC 7 Mezz with the in the classifieds or just getting an OB-1 shaft. What to do, what to do??

Very different things there, you need to try both to see what you like to play with. It's not like you are trying one shaft or another or picking between two cues you don't have. You are asking something like "do I buy a new game for my computer or buy an XBOX" where an A or B question would be "which of these 2 computer games I should get first". All depends on what your preferences are.

CGM

Silver Member
Very different things there, you need to try both to see what you like to play with. It's not like you are trying one shaft or another or picking between two cues you don't have. You are asking something like "do I buy a new game for my computer or buy an XBOX". All depends on what your preferences are.

I wish I knew someone with a Mezz because I really want to try one. Im sure it wouldnt hurt to buy it and sell it later if it didnt suit my game. Will the Mezz play significantly different than a G series McD?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I knew someone with a Mezz because I really want to try one. Im sure it wouldnt hurt to buy it and sell it later if it didnt suit my game. Will the Mezz play significantly different than a G series McD?

The hit feel will be different, the shaft will be different. Since the deflection of the shaft will not be the same between the two cues they will play differently.

Reactions: CGM

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

Both would be VERY different; although, the Mezz more than the OB shaft. Either option is going to give you a more .... *thinking* .... glossy/glass like feel to the shaft. I'm not saying smoother, just a more "polished" feel. (edit: the deflection issue covered above)

With the Mezz you'll also be relearning both hit and feel. The biggest difference I noticed between the McD and Mezz is that the Mezz has a more forward weighted feel than most cues (IMO). edit: The Mezz has a very smooth hit, but not the "wood-to-wood" that you get with the McD.

My choice here (knowing what I know about all 3) is that *I'd* strongly favor the Mezz .. I don't think you'd ever look back if you did that. (not knocking the McD cues .. just IMO). edit: Note too, that "my" choice doesn't necessarily mean it would be your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: CGM

CGM

Silver Member
To hell with it, im going to buy the Mezz and if I hate it I'll sell it later. From everything I'm reading I wont be selling.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
To hell with it, im going to buy the Mezz and if I hate it I'll sell it later. From everything I'm reading I wont be selling.

FWIW (and I've only been here since maybe Feb. - but have read a lot of old threads) - very VERY seldom do I see anyone who owns or has shot with a Mezz speak poorly of them. About the only negative I've ever seen is the "they're not made in the USA" quotes.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mezz cues are built very well. The hybrid shafts play good with relatively low deflection. The WD and WX shafts hit fantastic with semi-low deflection. All play great. Although I use Predator, I might consider giving up some LD properties for the WX700 shaft...the hit and feel is great.

KMRUNOUT

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Post how you like the Mezz. I'm guessing you'll love it, and I think you made a good choice.

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used a WD700 shaft for a year at time once and it's one of my favorite shafts I've used.

Don't sleep on them and Mezz break cues which I think are the best production break cues on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Which one? I just got the padouk wood one. Really like mine too, just haven't had the time to do a write-up on it yet.

Cocobolo. It's gorgeous. I put a Triangle tip on it, and much prefer it to the Kamui soft.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Cocobolo. It's gorgeous. I put a Triangle tip on it, and much prefer it to the Kamui soft.

Sweet. I considered going the extra bucks for that wood, but until I shot with one I just didn't. May consider it next year though cause I do love cocobolo wood. (used to have a pair of chucks made of it.)

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Sweet. I considered going the extra bucks for that wood, but until I shot with one I just didn't. May consider it next year though cause I do love cocobolo wood. (used to have a pair of chucks made of it.)

Almost went with padouk, as it looks good and was cheaper. Since I'm on my second cue in 15 years, though, I decided to spurge a bit. LOL

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this thread is a couple months old or so. Curious which shaft you guys went with 0 the WX700 or WX900 for the EC series? And why?

I am debating this cue for purchase, and not sure of the shaft. I do not use a low deflection shaft right now.