Marietta Billiard Club (Atlanta) closed/moving

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to report that Johnny Archer’s room in Atlanta has closed. It will reincarnate as a restaurant with a new name and have fewer pool tables, located down the same road in a shopping strip, opening in a couple of months.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to report that Johnny Archer’s room in Atlanta has closed. It will reincarnate as a restaurant with a new name and have fewer pool tables, located down the same road in a shopping strip, opening in a couple of months.

Well, poop.

Same exact thing happened to a place near, me. Started up as a nice high end room with a bunch of nice shape gold crown tables, high end cues for sale ( I mean customs from AE, Samsara, others ) that were all around the room in cases, leagues.

Years later they kept adding tables for food close to the tables, and eventually the tables were either removed or shoved to half of the side room like they were in storage.

Never got a chance to see it but hope Archer will be doing well with the new business (assuming he is part of it still).

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Was there ever an annual pro tournament held there?
If so, must not have lasted long??

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's been there more than a decade-I first heard it was closing at least 4-5 years ago but JA had a FAT benefactor who helped keep it open. Could have been total BS but that is what i heard.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been there more than a decade-I first heard it was closing at least 4-5 years ago but JA had a FAT benefactor who helped keep it open. Could have been total BS but that is what i heard.
Actually I think it's been there at least 20 years, as "The Pool Room" the first 10+ years. One of the nicest, roomiest poolrooms I've ever stepped foot in - must have been nearly 10 feet between tables when I was last there! Whenever we came down from NC to The ATL for a Braves or Falcons game, a trip to that poolroom was always a must stop!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I think it's been there at least 20 years, as "The Pool Room" the first 10+ years. One of the nicest, roomiest poolrooms I've ever stepped foot in - must have been nearly 10 feet between tables when I was last there! Whenever we came down from NC to The ATL for a Braves or Falcons game, a trip to that poolroom was always a must stop!

I believe you are correct- i was just playing it safe. It was an excellent room-been there a few times-For whatever reason i always got it mixed up with 'Mr Cues', another great room in Atlanta.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice place

Wasn't Kim Davenport a part owner?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I visited the place back in October. Loved the old thick, solid wood atmosphere. I was told they were going to downsize, move to a smaller building. So is it closing for good? Or relocating?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is moving and will be called Archers. I talked to Johnny at derby about it and that is what he told me. i was at his room in 2015 and it is large. But if they aren't making the money to keep it open, they may need to downsize. There is a pool room close to me in Ohio that is doing the same thing. They are moving down the road into a place that is a little smaller.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It is moving and will be called Archers. I talked to Johnny at derby about it and that is what he told me. i was at his room in 2015 and it is large. But if they aren't making the money to keep it open, they may need to downsize. There is a pool room close to me in Ohio that is doing the same thing. They are moving down the road into a place that is a little smaller.

Dang.

Meanwhile, in Des Moines on Monday at 5 pm, Big Dog's with 40 some tables was PACKED FULL. Monday. The weekends really rock! By the time leagues started at 7, it was standing room only. The parking lot had, I estimated, 175 cars in it.

We need another pool hall in this little town of ours. Rumors are saying one is coming.

Having witnessed this growth the past 20 years, I believe it is leagues that are driving it. We have more good players in town than ever....hundreds now. Also, Dog's and The Rack run tournaments almost every night and they market those very well and those are really making some players good. This all compounds on itself.

I'd advise anyone having trouble with their pool hall business contact Randy 218-234-9393 or Jim at Big Dog's and ask them for some mentoring.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Dang.

Meanwhile, in Des Moines on Monday at 5 pm, Big Dog's with 40 some tables was PACKED FULL. Monday. The weekends really rock! By the time leagues started at 7, it was standing room only. The parking lot had, I estimated, 175 cars in it.

We need another pool hall in this little town of ours. Rumors are saying one is coming.

Having witnessed this growth the past 20 years, I believe it is leagues that are driving it. We have more good players in town than ever....hundreds now. Also, Dog's and The Rack run tournaments almost every night and they market those very well and those are really making some players good. This all compounds on itself.

I'd advise anyone having trouble with their pool hall business contact Randy 218-234-9393 or Jim at Big Dog's and ask them for some mentoring.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston
Nothing else to do in Iowa. Lol
Just kidding. Glad to hear they are doing well.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member

I agree The place was biggest pool hall I had ever been in
I do believe they had the (Gem City Classic) there witch became The Johnny Archer Classic I will miss it every time I visit my friends in Georgia !

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston
I hauled a lot of the long wind blades into 2 or 3 town in Iowa. All the wind farms were in huge corn fields! lol

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This was a very big pool hall - I watched Cliff Joyner and Scott Frost play 1-pocket back in the early 2000's after a big tournament. Also had the last IPT qualifying tournament there, which Shane won in amazing fashion - I think he ran out the remains of a rack, then broke and ran five racks to win it. It was the first time I saw him play.

So lots of stuff happened there.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Atlanta was the 2nd IPT Qualifier (of 5), not the last. The last one was in Holland. Shane did indeed run a 5-pack at that tournament, which earned him a $5000 cash bonus, in addition to his "ticket to the big show", the IPT. There were a lot of happy, excited poolplayers that day! They all thought that the pro pool ship had finally come in. Sadly, they were mistaken.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

This was a very big pool hall - I watched Cliff Joyner and Scott Frost play 1-pocket back in the early 2000's after a big tournament. Also had the last IPT qualifying tournament there, which Shane won in amazing fashion - I think he ran out the remains of a rack, then broke and ran five racks to win it. It was the first time I saw him play.

So lots of stuff happened there.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
King T...Yes, Kim Davenport was a part owner, along with the local APA LO. After a while Kim wanted out and got bought out. He moved back to CA. Nice to see it reopening, even if it is smaller! I did lessons in that room over a dozen times, and always treated well! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Wasn't Kim Davenport a part owner?

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, the reason I thought it was the last qualifier is that the guy Shane beat had barely missed qualifying in the previous one, and I remembered his loss to Shane as being his last chance. My memory is constantly failing me!

Atlanta was the 2nd IPT Qualifier (of 5), not the last. The last one was in Holland. Shane did indeed run a 5-pack at that tournament, which earned him a $5000 cash bonus, in addition to his "ticket to the big show", the IPT. There were a lot of happy, excited poolplayers that day! They all thought that the pro pool ship had finally come in. Sadly, they were mistaken.

Scott Lee