Perception versus Reality on CF

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
I play with a Samsara with the Samsara LD TrueShaft and I really like it. Has anyone switched from a TrueShaft to a CF? Was there a big difference?

Also, for those who have gone from LD shafts to CF shafts, does it just feel better or do yo really see performance benefits? Is it more perception than reality?

Thanks!!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for me the carbon fiber shafts i have tried
revo/cuetec/meucci/becue and some by other cuemakes were NOT magic wands and my ob1 + played as well or better

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit both Revo's, Cynergy, BeCue and Meucci. They don't play much different from wood. There is a feeling of more speed with less effort(good/bad?) but even that is pretty small. Best part(s) imo are the super slick finish and the durability. As long you don't really abuse one it should last forever. Light hits on a table light, table edge or balls leave no marks at all. They aren't magic wands but they are the future. They'll be everywhere in 10yrs(or less).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit both Revo's, Cynergy, BeCue and Meucci. They don't play much different from wood. There is a feeling of more speed with less effort(good/bad?) but even that is pretty small. Best part(s) imo are the super slick finish and the durability. As long you don't really abuse one it should last forever. Light hits on a table light, table edge or balls leave no marks at all. They aren't magic wands but they are the future. They'll be everywhere in 10yrs(or less).

FWIW, EVERY person who has hit a ball with my BECUE (including ME) has said that it plays "effortlessly". EVERY ONE!

They also comment on how easy it is to draw the cue ball and move it around the table. They compare it to THEIR cues and some of them have some HIGH DOLLAR cues.

I am CONFIDENT that if I were able to give all of them a BECUE that they would be using them EXCLUSIVELY instead of their normal cues after a few days of playing with them.

Other than play, what I like about the BECUE is that I don't have to worry about dings, chalk getting into the shaft or ferrule, or it getting "damp" with moisture from my hand when it is hot and humid in the pool hall.

painfullyslow

Registered
Fortuitous timing on this post as I literally switched from a wood LD shaft to a Cynergy CF shaft yesterday.

My initial thoughts are that it plays very similarly to a LD wood shaft...enough that I really had no/minimal impact on my game while switching. The main reason I went CF over another LD wood shaft is that dings drive me absolutely bonkers. The CF shaft feels very smooth and the fact that it will not ding is what sold me.

I specifically went Cynergy over the others because it has the white ferrule. A lot say it doesn't matter...to me, it does. I use the ferrule for sighting and did not like the CF shafts without it.

My $0.02

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I can do they same things with a wood shaft I can with my Cynergy. The thing about the Cynergy or any carbon shaft is like they say, it stays slick, easy to clean and won't dent with accidental hits. Energy transfer seems easier for me and the beauty is I can have a spare shaft god forbid anything were to happen with a tip per say and it will play identical. This gives me confidence of constancy for my current and future game, that's the main reason I have moved forward to playing with one.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, EVERY person who has hit a ball with my BECUE (including ME) has said that it plays "effortlessly". EVERY ONE!

They also comment on how easy it is to draw the cue ball and move it around the table. They compare it to THEIR cues and some of them have some HIGH DOLLAR cues.

I am CONFIDENT that if I were able to give all of them a BECUE that they would be using them EXCLUSIVELY instead of their normal cues after a few days of playing with them.

Other than play, what I like about the BECUE is that I don't have to worry about dings, chalk getting into the shaft or ferrule, or it getting "damp" with moisture from my hand when it is hot and humid in the pool hall.

I have a becue - 60". It's awesome. I'd also classify it has a high dollar cue though. You're wallet may vary.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I have a cynergy and a jacoby black shaft.

They both have the longer pro taper. Cynergy is 15 inches back and jacoby is 19 inches back. They are 12.5 and 12.3 diameter.

They both weight 3.8 ounces and balance correct. I looked at keilwood and they average 3.2 -3 4 ounces. The other brands of carbon fiber shafts are all over the map regarding weight and consistency. Some are 4.2 ounces and some 3.4 ! A big problem with the balance point of the cue.

The durability is a big deal. No more rough spots.

Buying online is a big no-no! Bought at Derby and get to check it out before buying. Some have finish issues and some have weight issues and taper problems.

Start out wood for the ability to experiment! Once you settle on the shaft data. Then switch to carbon fiber shaft that matches your favorite shaft in weight, taper,diameter and deflection.

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Which shaft do you use? I hit a 5.1 and did not like the taper or hit/feel. Not for me. Have not tried the Prime.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which shaft do you use? I hit a 5.1 and did not like the taper or hit/feel. Not for me. Have not tried the Prime.

I started with the 5.1 and wasn't fond of the conical taper so I traded it for a black Prime 12mm shaft. I have two 12mm white Prime shafts and a black one.

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll chime in to concur 100% with this, but with caveat.

I went through the gamut of CF shafts last summer in Vegas, trying each on my Ned Morris butt (3/8x10 ivory joint), and wasn't terribly impressed by any of them - the ones I liked the best were the Becue and the Cynergy, but neither inspired the investment.

Then I gave in to Charlie Bryant (who was running the booth offering the Becue line) and his suggestion that I try the shaft with a matched Becue butt, despite my letting him know I was only interested in alternative shafts for my Morris.

Night. And. Day.

I can comfortably say that the full CF cue hits as well as any cue I've ever used, and better than all but a couple. If you're just looking for a CF shaft, you'll get varying degrees of LD that can generally be matched by maple, potentially a different feel you may or may not like and grow accustomed to, but the biggest draw is the durability & consistency from one production CF shaft to another of the same manufacture.

The full Becue cue doesn't compromise in any of those aspects, bringing in that durability and consistency to join with a cue that takes nearly no time to adapt to. Definitely worth looking at - I absolutely love my Ned Morris, which had been my primary shooter, but the Becue gives up nothing in what it delivers at a fraction of the price, while dramatically cutting anxiety over damage.