Antique tables, How much is too much?

JulioRice

Registered
Antique tables, How much is too much? NOW WITH PICS

Just looking for some thoughts and opinions. I'm working on a pre 1900 Brunswick. Somewhere along the line someone put Monarch Superspeeds on it and the nose is well below 1.25" Ball hop abounds. I pulled the rubber off and the face of the sub rail is narrow, about 1.2 inches. If I try to put K-55 on it it hangs off the bottom, and the nose height is wrong. Long story short the bevel needs to be fixed on it. Really it needs to be cut off, have new material glued in and cut to the proper dimensions for whatever profile i decide to go with. But when I thing about putting a big table saw blade into the 100 year old wood I kind of recoil. Something about it just feels wrong. But, it's the best way I can see to make the table correct. What are your guys opinion on this sort of thing. Thanks. Take it easy. Julio

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries, it's just old defective poplar subrail wood that is being replaced, not the gorgeous, nearly extinct Brazilian Rosewood on the rail caps that your table probably has. Sounds like you have the answers, you just need to pull the trigger. The old subrail is defective, so it needs to be replaced with good wood that has accurate bevels and pocket facing angles. If you aren't comfortable doing it there are plenty of good table mechanics around the country that you could hire to do it. Don't worry about hurting the value of the antique table, most folks want these antiques to be functional as well, so really the value is going to increase if the job is done correctly.

Last edited:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Don't be scared.

The biggest key is alignment of your saw. Make sure that your blade is at a perfect 90 degrees.

Also, you will likely want to make fixtures/jigs. So often, I see rail caps that are all different dimensions. You may decide to cut them all down to the same size. Or, you will likely wish to create your own fence, to guide along the featherstrip side.

Attachments

• 20200519_115820.jpg
    20200519_115820.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 318
  • 20200519_122749.jpg
    20200519_122749.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 20200519_115721.jpg
    20200519_115721.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 20200519_115624.jpg
    20200519_115624.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 20200523_211655.jpg
    20200523_211655.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

JulioRice

Registered
Finished the table. Thought I would show my work

Here's some pics of the table that was in question. I was pretty pleased with the work. I ended up making all new barrel nuts for it with modern threads, and drilled and tapped the ends of modern bolts so I could attach the rosettes. I was dealing with what I felt was a very tall rail height. 1.75 inches. I weaseled the nose of the cushion down the best I could. I got it to 1 7/16. I felt it could have come down a little lower as the table seemed a little slow when it was all said and done. And please, lets all argue about weather or not I put the Artemis rubber on upside down. I'd like to see if it gets lively and then I'll explain my choice. Take it easy. Julio

Shit, now I need to figure out how to add pics.