Does the cost of playing cue impact your game?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member

I am thinking about investing in a higher end cue.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I would imagine so. A cue that's a higher end cue, it likely has a taper, weight, tip, ...etc
that you're comfortable with instead of kinda making yourself settle for what might be less.
But damn the cost, you need what feels good to you, that cost probably lies somewhere
between $200 and $2000.

Last edited:

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A shirt they were selling at the Expo says "It's not the cue, it's you", however I would think a low deflection shaft should help.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d say the majority of cue cost affects vanity rather than performance. Conversely the majority of tip cost affects performance rather than vanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
A shirt they were selling at the Expo says "It's not the cue, it's you", however I would think a low deflection shaft should help.
I think a new high end shirt will have as much impact. I honestly think of you have the weight, tip and shaft diameter that you like, it's all gravey after $300.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something not often mentioned is that having something you enjoy often leads to more playing time.

Regardless of the cost, if you have a cue that you thoroughly enjoy playing with (because of how it hits, feels, looks... whatever the reason), then you will usually want to play with it more. Playing more will typically improve your play.

Whenever I get a new cue that I'm excited about, my game tends to improve. However, this is probably more due to the fact that I'm playing more pool, than the actual performance characteristics of the cue.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Immersion into the game, playing more, learning more, practicing more, etc..... That's what impacts your game. The pitfall to buying a $2000 cue is that the stick is not magic, regardless of who makes it. I've seen players go from excitement to burnout really quickly after buying a high-priced cue. At first they hit em like a champ, the typical new cue phenomenon. Then they fall back to their regular playing/practice habits and their ego and confidence take a big hit, leaving them wondering why they spent $2000 on a cue and still can't play.

It's much better to become a solid player before diving into a high-dollar cue. You might be ready for that move, but only you would know. If you are, the new cue will surely be a boost to your game because it'll be like rewarding yourself for reaching a higher skill level.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I'm a gear whore and a cue snob so I like high-end cues. That said, I can play almost as good with a cue off the rack, as long as the tip is good.

Disclaimer: I may not be good enough for the type of cue to make a difference...lol.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
����I am right there with Jack....... especially the gear-whore part!

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Below the cost of good shafts (about $250) the cost of the cue is immaterial (it is below the cost of table time and drinks over the course of a year.)

Slightly above the cost of a good shaft (under $500 for the whole cue) there is a significant increase in the workmanship in the butt end of the cue.

Above about $500 all one is paying for is artwork.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
there are superb playing cues without frills (merry widows and sneakies for example) that will not hold you back, except maybe psychologically, for in the $200 - $300 range.

Efren proved that a $15 cue can get you (well, him actually) to the promised land. :wink:

But playing with higher end cues can provide some extra enjoyment, imo. :cool:

beat,
brian kc

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
it sure does

since going to the plainest of janes, even a 25 dollar case, my game has improved
i just worry about how i play now, and nothing else

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To a certain point, yes.

In general though, just asking that type question tells me you need to worry more about higher quality practice instead of pricier cues.

Rake

I had to add: my player is ballpark of $1,600 but I could easily put the shaft on a $300 butt and never know the difference performance wise.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Play with a nice cue, live in a nice house, drive a nice car, wear a nice watch, go to nice restaurants... well, you get the idea. It all just makes life better.

Lou Figueroa

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a $350 Lucasi cue.
I also have a $1000 Troy Downey cue.
Everyone says I play better with the Lucasi.
Personal preference.

samiun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For production cue, some of the higher end model are actually just ornament and some of those are perform just like the plain jane model. I think the low deflection shaft should help eliminating additional calculation when playing using english, while the technology in the cue butt are more to the feel of the shoot which are more personal if we exlude the shaft construcion and the tip we use. I have 2 custom cue and 3 are top brand mass production, but I always play good with the one I used to learn to play pool back in the day even it only cost around $500 in my country. So maybe yes, and maybe not.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Absolutely!! The more it costs the better you will play. To be Pro level you have to spend at least $10K for a cue. That's all it takes. No practice, no skill, just more money.

:thumbup:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When my little brother was sick I flew to Richmond VA and couldn't bring my cues. Played that week at Diamonds in Richmond and used a bar cue the whole week. Not sure why, but all of the bar cues had these rubber foam-like tips, kinda like a medium tip but really bouncy...extremely difficult to shoot with, was the only time I was truly disappointed that I didnt have a particular cue