advice on buying a used pool table

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read here many time about the advantage of buying a used table.

I have found a couple tables of interest. the problem is they are disassembled. so i cant play the tabl.
furthermore I dont feel qualified to find any flaws.
i found a mechanic to move the table.
but by the time he gets involved it would be too late to find any problems.
any advice??

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
If he's a good mechanic I'd think he would be able to help you pick a good one. Even if you pay him for his time it would be worth it in the long run. He can tell you what tables/brands/models to avoid - and when you find one that's got a good rep - have him look at it.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Ditto on having a knowledgeable Table Mechanic that knows which brands and models are worth looking at first off. He would be able to weed thru the available tables and guide you toward a worthwhile purchase. Especially if you are wanting a Home Furniture Pool Table. Remember it's what's in a Pool Table not what's outside.

Second they (if they are a True Table Mech) should be able to inspect a disassembled table and account for all of the parts needed. Even down to the fasteners. Check the condition of the cushions. Check the finish on each and every piece. Estimate to you how much additional money it will take to bring the table up to playing condition.

***Sorry to say this but....... You will have better luck finding the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot than finding a Truly Knowledgeable and Honest Pool Table Mechanic that is readily available.***

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I have read here many time about the advantage of buying a used table.

I have found a couple tables of interest. the problem is they are disassembled. so i cant play the tabl.
furthermore I dont feel qualified to find any flaws.
i found a mechanic to move the table.
but by the time he gets involved it would be too late to find any problems.
any advice??

What area of the country?

I have a guy with a verifiable reputation who has a network from Maine to Ohio (it might be larger). He knows the tables available as well as the mechanics available.
He'll talk to you about what YOU want, what YOUR needs are and what YOUR budget is.
He hooked me up with a PRISTINE GC III, put in new rails, cut the pockets to my specs, Simonis 860 cloth, Centennial balls, Lucasi house cues.
Oh, the feet and the pocket covers were brand new, freshly fabricated.. The install was done by the best table mechanic in the Northeast & NYC area, NY Johnny, who did the tables at Steinway & Amsterdam.
Click the link for pics http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?457610&p=5939532#post5939532

PM me for the price if you're interested.
If I had done all the bird-dogging myself I would've paid more, ended up with a (beat to $#!+), former pool hall table.
I may have saved a couple, three hundred bucks, but in quality I would've lost big. -Z-

Last edited:

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could take good pictures and post them here. Many very knowledgeable posters could point out the good, the bad and the no way of tables. I find the education here is outstanding.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I am in montrose ny in westchester county.

We were practically neighbors. I grew up just outside of White Plains. I managed Executive Billiards when it was Jimmy Abel's place. I sent you a PM. Can't wait to see you get the table of your dreams. -Z-

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first thing I think you need to do is decide what table you want. From there you need to decide how nice you want to make it. That's where the money comes in. This is how it's been going for me.

I wanted a GC IV but was willing to look at all Gold Crowns. I figured I was either going to find a rather pristine one or it was going to need some restoration work. I also knew I was going to have the rails done by Mark Gregory. I got lucky and found a IV in really nice shape having never been used commercially. Probably a 9 out of 10. Only problem to me was it had drop pockets. Not that big of a deal, I'll locate a ball return. Well, easier said than done and did I mention cost a few bucks. Now here comes the easy part. I'll disassemble it and bring it home. Not a difficult task for someone who's built a few cars and a HVAC mechanic by trade. I disassemble it only to find that the guy who assembled it could give a shit if it was done well. I find the slate frame has all but one bolt stripped with one so bad I can't get it out. These are large course threaded bolts. Almost hard to believe. I now need to buy all new bolts and spend time repairing this stuff. Something I would never had thought would be an issue with a table. Another thing, the slate is heavy and awkward. Fun moving from one basement to another. What I'm trying to tell you is you never know what you may run in to and it can get costly.

I'm going to have some money into my table but will have exactly what I want. A near mint GC IV with 4.5" pro cut pockets and rails done by Mark Gregory, covered in Simonis 860HR with a set of Centennials. Barring unforeseen circumstances I'll be using this table for 20+ years. If I'm lucky more than 40.

Last edited: