Feet alignment and rubber shoe soles

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably kind of a weird post...

But I've always wondered if players are better off with shoe soles that let you slide more (suede or leather) as oppose to the normal rubber soles most shoes have.

When I wearing shoes with rubber soles, I feel its more difficult to make micro adjustments with my feet in trying to get the proper body alignment to my shot. With soles that slide a bit, I feel I can more easily get proper body alignment.

Any one with thoughts on this?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But I've always wondered if players are better off with shoe soles that let you slide more (suede or leather) as oppose to the normal rubber soles most shoes have.

When I wearing shoes with rubber soles, I feel its more difficult to make micro adjustments with my feet in trying to get the proper body alignment to my shot. With soles that slide a bit, I feel I can more easily get proper body alignment.

I don't see any advantage or disadvantages or than comfort depending on shoe maker.

Having said that, on certain surfaces I prefer a rubber sole when breaking in games such as 10 ball. The more traction the better when breaking at peak speeds.

Jeff

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I don't want shoes that slide at all. When I'm in my stance I want to feel rock solid, with no chance for any unwanted movement.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends a lot on the flooring- leather soles might work on a carpeted floor - anything else really requires some form of a gripping sole to stay solid on your shots. I understand your point, but with rubber soles if you feel out of alignment in your stance - always best to get out of the stance and realign.

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont wear shoes when i play, socks only. 25 years ago i was stretching over a corner pocket when my dress shoes slid out from underneath me. Had to put 75 cents to get my nuts back.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont wear shoes when i play, socks only. 25 years ago i was stretching over a corner pocket when my dress shoes slid out from underneath me. Had to put 75 cents to get my nuts back.

tyu.gif

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I laughed but my first thought too!

I too have had a nasty surprise from the interaction of what old Mr George delicately called my "personals" and the table when slick soles and slick floors did me wrong. First time I thought was a fluke. Second time, those soles had to go!

Hu

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

You question about footwork is a good one.

You don't want a shoe sole that slips "too much" and you don't want one that ''sticks'' "too much".

Depending on the floor surface, certain shoes work better than others.

Now if you good enough to play around the planet... Depending on the promoters, this will always be a concern.

Not many players shoot in dress shoes, but to be the best, one must incorporate that into their game, learn what it's like to play on hard floor surfaces for days.

I know I wouldn't want leather soles on my dress shoes at an event that had tile floors.
If I did, I'd probably put some anti skid stick on material to the sole bottoms, so when I stretched out I wouldn't ''slip''.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't want my feet to slide. For the micro-adjustments, I take a little weight off the foot I'm adjusting! lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You haven't experienced real pain until you've gone to a pool room with a linoleum or wood floor, leaned out over the table to reach a shot, and had your feet slip out from under you dropping your precious parts smack into the rail.

Just a bit more seriously, I think the important thing is to always wear the same kind of shoes so that you do become accustomed to making the same foot adjustments. I also think decent support is a plus and have never understood those guys that play in flip flops or shower clogs. Lastly, rubber soles will exempt you from experiencing the above mentioned scenario.

Lou Figueroa

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Something that helped me a lot when I was first starting to play well was to practice stepping into shots and getting down on the ball over and over and over. The idea to was to make those little adjustments unnecessary. It can get a little boring and tiresome but it helped a lot and is something I probably need to revisit again because I’ve found myself adjusting a lot more lately and sometimes missing shots where I’ve tried to lean and use English to compensate for being out of line. Being lazy basically:)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the others that say I like to keep my testicles where they are. Too many times I've reached for a shot and slipped when I wore harder sole shoes. Even if it didn't hurt , the slip would occur while I'm making the stroke , where I would either miss the shot, miscue, or missed the ball completely and end up giving ball in hand. I prefer a good pair of running shoes, or something with a rubber soul.

Many times I would have to go to pool after work and I would forget my tennis shoes. I'd end up having to wear my work boots. They're not slippery but I feel ten feet tall when I'm at the table. It's a big adjustment.

Last edited:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member

Real answer to your question is if you feel out of alignment when you're down on the shot, you should step out and step back in. I don't think it matters what shoes you wear. But you don't want to be making adjustments after you're into the shot.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Totally agree

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too have had a nasty surprise from the interaction of what old Mr George delicately called my "personals" and the table when slick soles and slick floors did me wrong. First time I thought was a fluke. Second time, those soles had to go!

Hu

Only took once for me haha

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
What can I say?

Only took once for me haha

What can I say? Slow learner sometimes! I had played for years, no problems. Then one night, twice in the same night. I played very very carefully the rest of the night!

Hu

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read somewhere in my Pool N Billiard Instructional books, that good shoes should be used when playing & attention should be given to the heel height, as different heel heights can affect your play.

I would say that in my history, leather shoes are tougher on one's feet, over the long run & you couldn't give me a pair to wear. A side note about scooting the feet... In Dancing, you are encouraged to pick up your feet , not scoot or slide them.

I like Eccos...

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yo

Just a bit more seriously, I think the important thing is to always wear the same kind of shoes so that you do become accustomed to making the same foot adjustments. I also think decent support is a plus and have never understood those guys that play in flip flops or shower clogs. Lastly, rubber soles will exempt you from experiencing the above mentioned scenario.

Lou Figueroa

This is great advice Lou, I concur sir...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I read somewhere in my Poll N Billiard Instructional books, that good shoes should be used when playing & attention should be given to the heel height, as different heel heights can affect your play.

I would say that in my history, leather shoes are tougher on one's feet, over the long run & you couldn't give me a pair to wear. A side note about scooting the feet... In Dancing, you are encouraged to pick up your feet , not scoot or slide them.

I like Eccos...

In the winter I’m always wearing my black boots. They have a thick/high sole, it took me a while to realize why I’d play so bad at home when I had my slippers on lol. A couple inches can make a big difference.