What will your cue be worth?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
What will your cue be worth in 25 years?

I was playing the other day thinking about where the game is and going. About the people making cues today and what I believe to be a dying art. About how my production cue has went up.

What's it gonna be like 25 years from now? What was it like 25 years ago compared to today?

What do you have now that stands out? Has it increased $$ value?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Buy what you like and forget about what future value may or may not be. My advice on all things...cars and cues included.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I don't see my cues as some kind of investment.

I just think it's gonna be interesting where cue making will go. The quality or lack thereof. The reduction of cue makers could drive prices up for custom, regardless of material costs.

If there is a decline of players some of the production cue makers might close up.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
You have a production cue that has increasedi in value? Nice score.

I have a 25 year old Schon SL14, never played, never chalked that might bring 60-70% of the original msrp on a good day.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't bet your retirement on it. Some will always be in demand, though not all will increase in value all that much. As an investment, cues are not a good idea. I'm playing with a Dan Dishaw made in 1993. Has it increased in value over the original price? I only have $600 in it, so, maybe. If sold in Japan, probably. I don't worry about it, I buy cues to play with, while I have bought a few to flip it's not something I count on.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Yet I have a Palmer Model M from the 2nd catalog that I paid $125 for, which was a LOT of money for a cue back in the early 70's... I played with it a year or so, then running a biz, raising a child took precedence for a few decades. Just sat in a closet all those years. Still does today.

Bought a Keith Josey to play with back in 2007. It's my preferred playing cue these days, though I haven't played for a month or so because Macular Degeneration hit. Hoping treatments will help enough to make it worth playing again. Have no idea what it's worth today..less than I paid would be my guess.

Thus my advice..buy what you like and enjoy it as long as you can. Nobody can predict the future, especially with such a fickle market as collectables.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
The value of any item is dependent on the person looking at it.

How much it is worth is dependent on what someone is willing to pay for it.

My mother collected Hummel figurines for years ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummel_figurines ).

They had their own "blue-book", collector societies and back in the day one could be

very certain the value or worth of the piece they just purchased would go up over time.

Today, many if not most Hummel figurines aren't getting even 10% of their best sale price.

Why? Those who valued them, are, for the most part, dead or in Nursing Homes.

Their audience or market is pretty much all gone.

While I don't think Pool is actively dying (it's on a lot of medication though), the same

rule of Value/Worth applies. Act accordingly. -Z-

31TWWl1KtXL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
I use my cue as equipments, not as investments. So in 25 years, mine will be worth exactly how much people are willing to pay for, which likely isn't going to be much.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy what you like and forget about what future value may or may not be. My advice on all things...cars and cues included.

Agreed. That's what I did. I had a Hall of Fame cuemaker make my dream cue with the idea of never selling it. He has been making cues since the 60's and I gave him a creative hand in it. It came out better than I imagined, very old school. I realize that a cue is worth what a person will pay for it but it doesn't matter if you don't plan on ever selling it. This cue will be my son's one day.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The value of any item is dependent on the person looking at it.

How much it is worth is dependent on what someone is willing to pay for it.

My mother collected Hummel figurines for years ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummel_figurines ).

They had their own "blue-book", collector societies and back in the day one could be

very certain the value or worth of the piece they just purchased would go up over time.

Today, many if not most Hummel figurines aren't getting even 10% of their best sale price.

Why? Those who valued them, are, for the most part, dead or in Nursing Homes.

Their audience or market is pretty much all gone.

While I don't think Pool is actively dying (it's on a lot of medication though), the same

rule of Value/Worth applies. Act accordingly. -Z-

31TWWl1KtXL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

That’s a good point and example. It seems to be dying or not really growing. Do you all think if a movie was made again it would be revitalized?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was playing the other day thinking about where the game is and going. About the people making cues today and what I believe to be a dying art. About how my production cue has went up.

What's it gonna be like 25 years from now? What was it like 25 years ago compared to today?

What do you have now that stands out? Has it increased $$ value?

Last edited:

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member

It will either be worth roughly $500 (adjusted for inflation) OR $200,000.

The value depends entirely on how successful I am at producing a fully nude version of "Thatcher, the Musical!" for the big screen, and if I receive the Oscar for it.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
By the time my cues are worth anything I'lll be worthless. In 25 years I'll most likely be taking a dirt nap.

My Doc Frye should still be in demand.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. That's what I did. I had a Hall of Fame cuemaker make my dream cue with the idea of never selling it. He has been making cues since the 60's and I gave him a creative hand in it. It came out better than I imagined, very old school. I realize that a cue is worth what a person will pay for it but it doesn't matter if you don't plan on ever selling it. This cue will be my son's one day.

Keep it in the family is right. You built a beautiful cue.

I never bought anything with concern of how much it is worth someday. I don't sell anything I buy.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

And a nice looking cue it is!

jack 195

Banned
found an eBay cue that I liked, paid $90.00 dollars.
after 2 months the cue and shaft were changed just a little, cost ➕ $50.00.
total time owned 4 months, total cost $140.00, sold @ $135.00.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The sad truth is that your precious cues will be worth nothing, or at least next to nothing compared to today.

In the US and Europe pool is dying out. The recruitment, even viewed optimistically is next to non-existing. Asia has a little more promise, but I don't think that will last for 25 years. Technology is racing ahead at an insane pace. It will be hard to compete with perfect vr and all the other things we have to look forward to. Besides, cue buyers are almost always old people who buy for nostalgic reasons. The kids today haven't grown up with custom cues, but rather Cuetecs and Predators. The young ones who will still be playing, 25 years from now will probably be poor or some kind of hipster(or future equivalent). The hipster ones may buy expensive cues, but not enough to justify insane prices. And the poor ones will probably use house cues or cheap carbon cues, that will probably be superior to glued wood at this time. There will probably be huge restrictions on rare woods (even woods today thought of as common) anyway, making the cues hard to move (meaning both sell and transport), and ivory....Well it will go the way of fur coats, and gorilla hand ash-trays. Won't be proper to own or even show people. It's the way the world today is trending.

There will always be a buyer for the masterpieces. But likely not the 5k cues from the also-rans of the cue world and certainly not the 3k sneaky petes. It will be a very divided market with the Boars and the Balabushkas on one side and the "you name the guy that people are trying to hype this week" on the other, with the latter fetching next to nothing. Who's going to buy a plain as dirt cue that is easily outperformed by a 50 dollar carbon one? I'm trying to think of a person, but I just can't imagine what that person would be like. Revo is allready taking over even if it's IMO flawed at present, but when this tech is mature, no wooden cue will stand a chance in the performance department.

Last edited: