Attention all RASCHIG owners and collectors.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Do we have any amateur sleuths among us on the AZB boards, a budding Hercule Poirot or Ellery Queen, perchance? This week's mystery, brought to you in stereo from the great state of Texas, is The Case Of The Ringed Cueballs. Da da daaaa!

The unusual examples of K2Kraze's post below are strangely hypnotic when presented in concert, all those concentric circles mesmerising a viewer's eye as if in some billiardesque homage to Marcel Duchamp. But what exactly, one might ask, are these quirky pool balls? From where and when did they originate? Who made them? And why have they caused such debate of late within the collecting fraternity?

Permit me if you will, dear reader, to recount everything I know. Three full sets of these curios were recently obtained from Lübbecke, a town in northeast Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. They were sold to us as the veritable Holy Grail of any keen pool ball enthusiast... long lost prototype designs from the most desirable and heralded of manufacturers, the mighty Raschig. Here is the rub though, ladies and gentlemen. Despite exhaustive research we have been unable to confirm the origin of these balls to our total satisfaction. They are PROBABLY genuine, but I'm not yet prepared to stake my good reputation on such a bold claim. The positive news is that they arrived in the iconic blue box, their lustrous patina is commensurate of a 1970's vintage, and they're undoubtedly of German heritage... that much at least I can guarantee with complete confidence.

It is feasible in my view that they were experimental pieces at the R & D stage of early production from this renowned company. An evaluation of possible stripe placement, number spot design or analysis of embossing processes perhaps? I can offer firm assurances that this configuration was never marketed, nor have the cueballs ever been struck in anger, they are in a pristine, unused condition. I must, however, comment on the depth of groove which is a noticeable feature of almost every black circle... very few are perfectly flush with the ball's surface and some could be described as deep. It is rather reminiscent to me of those beautiful old sets where the number engravings have sunk or deteriorated somewhat, certainly an issue if one intended to play with them.

With unimpeachable provenance of authenticity these balls would surely be worth a great deal to existing Raschig owners or any avid collector. In this instance, however, an honourable course of action is to catalogue them as being of uncertain origin and encourage folks to don a deerstalker, fill a pipe or two and perhaps engage in a little detective work of their own. If anyone is interested I'll gladly answer all questions on here or via PM.

Best wishes and thank you for reading.
RC.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great introduction to this remarkable acquisition we were able to acquire in concert earlier this year, RC - with some of the most adventurous part of the tale taking place before they were in shipment

I recall an untold number of emails between the two of us and the nearly secretive owner in Germany - having to translate each and every email and try our best at deciphering the chosen words. Then came the financial negotiations only to be trumped by the fact that after nearly a month of back and forth, I get another email letting us know that it’s this fellows sister that actually has possession of the darlings from her connections and history with Raschig directly! She had no way to accept the funds from America he says and if I’d be so kind to forward the monies to him before she would get the parcels to post. And then it was nearly smooth sailing

Without further adieu, may I present what Rubik’s Cube and myself laid eyes on when they arrived. Untouched by anyone in nearly 40 years....

13ac95242dc742671187962c5d2e3409.jpg

Up close and in my hand...

ad2915adf5b0d7333fe9a2e2ffa1bf62.jpg

ee6d1c865ceabd983049627a17a41bd6.jpg

And one photo for fun to display all faces of the mysterious Raschig Rings...

7447e6a50f2ce605b450bba6d959fdee.jpg

One very interesting tidbit of information we were able to glean from the tight-lipped purveyors of these mysterious Raschig ringed marvels is that we know of only 8 total boxes that were ever made - and only 4 that we’ve been able to verify exist.

Happy 4th everyone!

~ K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deleted post

~ K

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, Poodle of Doom. :)

Aha, you caught us out there, sir, we didn't think anybody would be that quick! The FOR SALE thread will be up shortly.

Best wishes and thank you for reading. :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In case anyone had already read through the first few replies of this thread, please know I added some great detail and information to the last section of my first post showing all pictures.

~ K.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Beautiful work with the camera as ever, Mr K.

Thank you so much, my friend, for ensuring that this treasure hunting lark is always such good fun! :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deleted

~ K.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
In case anyone had already read through the first few replies of this thread, please know I added some great detail and information to the last section of my first post showing all pictures.

The For Sale thread will be up within the hour.

~ K.

Actually the first post had so much crazy language and esoteric phrases, that I stopped reading after the first two sentences.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Google is your friend then, Russ.

And for a guy using the word “esoteric”, you know exactly what you were reading - and if not, well, you learned a few new words today. 🤣

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Google is your friend then, Russ.

And for a guy using the word “esoteric”, you know exactly what you were reading - and if not, well, you learned a few new words today. 🤣

Yeah, I get all the individual words, but WAY too many 10 dollar words jammed into too little an area. Comes across as a little pretentious.

In ADDITION, it's basically an advertisement to sell the balls, and therefore does not belong in the main forum.

Short Bus Russ

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I get all the individual words, but WAY too many 10 dollar words jammed into too little an area. Comes across as a little pretentious.

In ADDITION, it's basically an advertisement to sell the balls, and therefore does not belong in the main forum.

Short Bus Russ
Yep, this advertisement seems to be heavy handed and in the wrong place.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C'mon guys. This forum could use a little flair now and then. I enjoyed the read and I'm not even in the market for these balls.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair enough guys - apologies to anyone offended.

Far from pretentious, however, which is why we try to convey how these pet projects actually unfold and how rarely some things really come up - especially with the hundreds of hours of research and communications across many countries and many folks involved, in most cases.

I’ll email Rubik’s and ask for his help as well to remove any and all reference to anything being for sale and leave well enough alone in the appropriately placed For Sale thread.

Appreciate the feedback, everyone.

~ K.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
No problem, gentlemen, happy to oblige. :)

Have a great holiday, everyone, and thank you for reading. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=js4MrSIkGs4

Here is a short corporate video from the mighty Raschig celebrating their 125th anniversary. I never knew that they began life as a thimble manufacturer! It was very interesting to see the timeline detailed, from their first introduction of phenolic resins right up until those beautiful billiard balls.

I contacted the company in my quest to authenticate our mysterious ringed cueballs. Unfortunately, nobody at the factory today appears to have any interest whatsoever in their illustrious billiard ball history which is a crying shame. I'll persevere, of course, and report back with any breakthrough. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=js4MrSIkGs4

Here is a short corporate video from the mighty Raschig celebrating their 125th anniversary. I never knew that they began life as a thimble manufacturer! It was very interesting to see the timeline detailed, from their first introduction of phenolic resins right up until those beautiful billiard balls.

I contacted the company in my quest to authenticate our mysterious ringed cueballs. Unfortunately, nobody at the factory today appears to have any interest whatsoever in their illustrious billiard ball history which is a crying shame. I'll persevere, of course, and report back with any breakthrough. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Video is unavailable. Would like to see it though.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
How bizarre, the video appears to have been removed.

Sincere apologies, Poodle, I'm at a loss to explain what has happened to be honest. The five-minute recording was there earlier, it would seem an extraordinary coincidence if Raschig inexplicably chose today to delete it for whatever reason. Hmm, I'll see if I can find another copy somewhere else for you, sir.

Best wishes,
RC.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How bizarre, the video appears to have been removed.

Sincere apologies, Poodle, I'm at a loss to explain what has happened to be honest. The five-minute recording was there earlier, it would seem an extraordinary coincidence if Raschig inexplicably chose today to delete it for whatever reason. Hmm, I'll see if I can find another copy somewhere else for you, sir.

Best wishes,
RC.

This is twice now that I've caught you, isn't it?