The Wisdom Of Larry Hubbart

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you Renfo? You take his questions? I still would like to get my question answered. I would like to know where Renfo is coming from.

[...]

Umm, this is a public forum. If you really want to only hear from Renfro, then just PM him. Oh, let me guess -- you want only to hear from Renfro, but you want your discourse with him to be public -- and we, the readership are just supposed to sit back, shut up, and enjoy the movie, right?

I'll say it again, because this *IS* a public forum. You call the break shot a "slop shot" and therefore advocate getting rid of the pocketed-ball requirement to maintain one's turn at the table. But in the same breath, you abhor call-shot rules for the rest of the game, and welcome slop. Your stance is inconsistent.

-Sean

Doc Holliday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you I overlooked it apparently. At the risk of sounding stupid, If the breaker doesn't pocket a ball he continues his inning, like he breaks, whatever happens happens, then he selects solids/stripes and attempts to run out? Is that right?

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you I overlooked it apparently. At the risk of sounding stupid, If the breaker doesn't pocket a ball he continues his inning, like he breaks, whatever happens happens, then he selects solids/stripes and attempts to run out? Is that right?

That is what we do. It works well for all players at any level.

Doc Holliday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh wow, so its like everybody is spotted breaks and first shot playing 8 ball. I bet your good players run out A LOT.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Hey, you scored a point. I have to admit after watching Shane vs. Corey...
they broke dry about 30% of the time. The remaining 70%, it was not always the ball they wanted.
Well, maybe it was for corey but it was a weird soft break leaving an almost unrunnable rack.
So, for now, 8b break is slop.

That being said, aren't you in favor of 'fixing' the break even for the games like 9 ball?
Corey made a specific, planned ball on the break about 90% of the time.
And by the way, without magic rack or any other "gimmick", just a triangle.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh wow, so its like everybody is spotted breaks and first shot playing 8 ball. I bet your good players run out A LOT.

Not really quite what you think. If a player does not break well, he is also shooting at what he broke. If he scratches, his inning is over.

Another way to look at it: under regular alternate break rules, total a players break-and-runs with his runouts after his opponant breaks dry and that is about how often a player BRO under the No Conflict Rules.

Doc Holliday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really quite what you think. If a player does not break well, he is also shooting at what he broke. If he scratches, his inning is over.

Another way to look at it: under regular alternate break rules, total a players break-and-runs with his runouts after his opponant breaks dry and that is about how often a player BRO under the No Conflict Rules.

That is going to be well over 50% with even B+ players, Open players would kill it. Of course I have never played this way against others but I practice 8 ball this way and I get out alot.....and I am terrible lol.

That being said I can see these rules making lower level pros, open and a players all a coin flip in the tournament. Have you noticed that the top players are all pretty even with these rules in place? Just curious as all my opinions are speculation.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is going to be well over 50% with even B+ players, Open players would kill it. Of course I have never played this way against others but I practice 8 ball this way and I get out alot.....and I am terrible lol.

That being said I can see these rules making lower level pros, open and a players all a coin flip in the tournament. Have you noticed that the top players are all pretty even with these rules in place? Just curious as all my opinions are speculation.

Not at all. It is advantge to the better player. The better player wins even more matches but the matches are closer. I have the stats (hundreds of thousands of them).

That is going to be well over 50% with even B+ players. That is no where near close. I have the stats on that too.