B or C speed matches with commentary?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Like most of us I really enjoy watching all the matches I can on Youtube for both entertainment and to try and learn something...

The challenge is that many time the shot a pro or open player shoots is not the same shot I should be shooting or attempting as a C+ player - it would be more valuable for me to see how people closer to my current speed handle situations.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any matches between players of this level with decent commentary? I've watched all the APA ones but don't find them very helpful for some unknown reason...

b

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like most of us I really enjoy watching all the matches I can on Youtube for both entertainment and to try and learn something...

The challenge is that many time the shot a pro or open player shoots is not the same shot I should be shooting or attempting as a C+ player - it would be more valuable for me to see how people closer to my current speed handle situations.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any matches between players of this level with decent commentary? I've watched all the APA ones but don't find them very helpful for some unknown reason...

b

You might get varying opinions, but IMO you should try to emulate better players, not players your own speed etc. Youll be learning quite possibly, the wrong shots that way. ;)

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with poster above.

There are US amateur matches from the last few years on YouTube. the male matches range from B players to good shortstops. The female matches from the US amateur may actually work for you as they usually are c+ to B+ type shooters. Also they play 8 and 9 in the match so you get to watch different games being played.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

b

The issue with watching C players, or even many B players, is that the shots you see them shoot can be a lot of times the wrong shot selection or at least shot with the wrong speed, spin or english. So basically you are looking for people that make the same mistakes as you, not on how to play the shot the best way. Why watch people make the same mistakes as you? You can just record yourself LOL

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member

b

Yeah... I'm of the same school of through that you should always seek out knowledge on better players to see what they do correctly in order to be Champions.

However, it is also instructive to watch someone of your own skill level be a complete idiot. It is instructive to nod at the screen and say "Yeah ... wow... that dude was so stupid to shoot the wrong shot and put draw on the ball... I mean what for!??? All he had to do is just tap the damn thing. What is wrong with him!!??"

So if you want to watch mediocre players play. By all means, search my name on You Tube and you will be BATHED... BATHED I SAY in mediocrity. I do the commentary, its not good, the camera shakes and I cuss a bunch, fart, belch.... I'm a disgusting beast. But I also know a little about one pocket, which is our game of choice. You will actually be blessed to watch one of the best one pocket players in the history of the game play just for fun... (Bob Barkhurst) - SEARCH THE NAME: LESHIYE or CORNER POCKET on YouTube.

Warmest regards,

Lesh

Last edited:

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice, I get that watching better players is better for my game - there is just something about watching runout after runout after runout with such perfect position.

I suppose part of what I'm looking for is people trying to get out of shitty position, lol.

As I talk through it maybe I'm just bored of watching the same players playing flawlessly, thanks for entertaining a thread with very little value.

b

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice, I get that watching better players is better for my game - there is just something about watching runout after runout after runout with such perfect position.

I suppose part of what I'm looking for is people trying to get out of shitty position, lol.

As I talk through it maybe I'm just bored of watching the same players playing flawlessly, thanks for entertaining a thread with very little value.

b

I like to watch not good players also, but only to make me feel better about my game LOL Even if you see a bad player get bad position, what they try is probably the wrong shot, or at leas the right shot done wrong. Unless you are watching someone you know, or don't like and want to make fun of them, there is not much you can get out of watching low or mid level players play. You may be able to pick up some nice ways of saying "boy they suck" or "what a crappy shot" from the commentators. Like "it's the pressure of playing on a TV table" or "that was not an easy shot for anyone" or "they are "struggling" this match".

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XJOrKhVIFg at least you have something nice to look at during the match.

Last edited:

richdrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can learn something no matter who's at the table. You can always ask the question how did that happen.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. Most of the time, the shots that the pros are shooting are the right shots for a B/C level player. If the commentators are any good, they will point out the times where they think that the shot selection is poor or a shot is so precise that only a pro would choose it. If there are shots that the pros shoot on a regular basis that you are not comfortable with, that's a good indication that you should be practicing that shot (drag shots, stun follow, force follow, etc.). If you're talking about the occasional crazy stroke shot to get out of trouble, it's nice to have those in your arsenal, but you won't benefit as much from learning those. Just as important as the shot techniques are the patterns and position routes that the pros play. Watch for them to send the cue ball through the center of the table a lot and play into the wide areas of the position zones along the next shot line, when possible. If you are already pretty good at shot-making, playing better patterns/routes might be a good place to concentrate your efforts. Try to guess how the pros will get on the net shot and see if what they do matches your expectations.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thing that might help is to mix up the game you are watching. 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, straight pool, one pocket, american rotation...all of these games present a slightly different challenge (with the possible exception of 9/10-ball).

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check the live stream forum. Those matches are streamed every weekend.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another one I recently saw, Yu Ram before she got a lot better, from 2007 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apWZy3_dx_M

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzRshjx4Tv8 the guy playing Borona is clueless about position if you want to learn how not to play, this is a good example (or bad?) https://youtu.be/NzRshjx4Tv8?t=4m14s ball in hand, runs into the 9. There are 3-4 better ways to get to the 5, but you won't learn any of them from watching the match. But you can see how mistake after mistake from a player can totally kill you in a match. I guess that is a good lesson to learn, if you should run out but don't, you will more than likely lose the match. Even as a C with 3 balls left, you should win given a normal first shot. If you don't, you are doomed.

Last edited:

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Another thing that might help is to mix up the game you are watching. 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, straight pool, one pocket, american rotation...all of these games present a slightly different challenge (with the possible exception of 9/10-ball).

This is an excellent point, maybe it's time to finally see what all this one-pocket stuff is all about...

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We live stream a match almost every Monday Night. The players range from very good to intermediate level.

Check in next Monday at OnCue2.com. We will have 2 players, not pro, who are playing a $1000 entry fee match. They are good amateurs.

From time to time we have players playing who would be rated as a 4 or 5 in a league.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
We live stream a match almost every Monday Night. The players range from very good to intermediate level.

Check in next Monday at OnCue2.com. We will have 2 players, not pro, who are playing a $1000 entry fee match. They are good amateurs.

From time to time we have players playing who would be rated as a 4 or 5 in a league.

I made a reminder and will check it out - thanks!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think a lot depends on the game. Rotation pool its a great idea to learn from the pro's but with 8 ball their shot selection and position may be a lot different than an intermediate player. A pro will always open the game with the best shot to run the rack, where a mid level and even a pretty strong player may opt for an easier opening shot. Sometimes a player may want to open with an easier shot to ensure 1 group if the other group is laid out real bad. Maybe an intermediate player wants to secure 1 group then break out a problem ball while playing safe, the pro's almost always open to run the able. Our league and local tournament players in this neck of the woods who have Fargo's of upper 600's and low 700's do not run rack after rack like the pro's do, you are likely to see a safe at some point in the game.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is another example of a lower level player selecting the wrong shot. He can easly just roll up on the 6 for a safe but chooses to shot some impossible carom that will never be close to making the 9.

https://youtu.be/NzRshjx4Tv8?t=1h7m45s

Unless you know what to do in that situation, you won't learn anything from there, it was the wrong shot, and executed badly for what he tried to do. It was actually impossible to hit the 9 with the cueball from where he was without some sort of masse.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Here is another example of a lower level player selecting the wrong shot. He can easly just roll up on the 6 for a safe but chooses to shot some impossible carom that will never be close to making the 9.

https://youtu.be/NzRshjx4Tv8?t=1h7m45s

Unless you know what to do in that situation, you won't learn anything from there, it was the wrong shot, and executed badly for what he tried to do. It was actually impossible to hit the 9 with the cueball from where he was without some sort of masse.

The more I watch some of these that you are posting, the more I think perhaps my ego just wants to spend some time seeing people doing stupid things vs. pro's always running out, lol.

On the up side, I would have never tried to play that shot, and would have tried to roll up. So maybe there is some value in remembering not to be a dummy like 'x' in a similar situation...

b

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorites are the csi usbtc videos.Watch enough of those and you believe every rack is runable no matter how bad it looks at first.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

b

I understand the need to learn shots that get you out of a botched position. B players are not how you do this though, you look at those low-level As, top junior players, or a more aggressive female players who might not always have the stroke and consistency to get to ideal position. That's where you'll see a wider arsenal of positional shots in the middle of a rack coupled with decent decisions making, facing more situations with being on the wrong side of a ball or dealing with the more cluttered breaks you as a B player will face more often then not. American Rotation is also good for seeing creative positional play but if you want to see it applied to 9/10 ball look for matches in the categories listed above.