Mark Wilson stands down as United States captain

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a few posts on face book recommending Buddy Hall. He told me today if anybody is interested he would love the chance to be the coach. If anybody knows how to win, its him.

How is buddy's health? He would be a good option if healthy enough to be actively involved

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about a retired Jim Rempe?

You made me curious as to Rempe's own Mosconi Cup record. Here it is:

• Played 3 years -- 1997-1999

• Singles record -- 2 wins, 3 losses (26-26 in games)

• Doubles record -- 5 wins, 4 losses (46-48 in games)

• Total -- 7-7 in matches (72-74 in games)

[Team USA won all 3 of those years -- 13-8, 13-9, and 12-7.]

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its amazing that anyone believes the coach has any bearing on the quality of the team.

Remember all those rings the Bulls won before Phil Jackson, or the chants of a dynasty in the streets of Boston before Belechick coached the Patriots?

Of course, to your point, the coaching doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the team.

But you can bet a nickel that it most definitely has a bearing on the performance of the team. A great coach instills confidence and a winning attitude in their players, and does so not just when they're winning, but more importantly when they are losing. The American team has the physical skillset to win. What they lack most is between the ears.

Wilson is a great instructor and a great person. However, one only needs to listen to his commentary and watch the Americans attitudes when things don't go their way, to conclude he is not the best person to draw inspiration from. The Americans are playing uninspired pool at the moment, and that's where who the coach is matters the most.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith McCready.

Nobody gets a room going like him. He's a legend and he's a guy every pool player would defer to. His knowledge of pool is obviously top tier. Plus he has the personality to make it fun for players and viewers alike.

If I had my druthers, the Euro team would be having nightmares every day at the Mosconi Cup.

Reactions: JAM

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Just a random name to throw out there but...
Mike Davis?

Super nice guy, easy to get along with, former MC player so he understands
the pressure, currently active so he understands modern pool.

Wilson is probably a great coach for, say, a young guy who needs his fundamentals
straightened, but Davis just seems like he can relate better.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith McCready.

Nobody gets a room going like him. He's a legend and he's a guy every pool player would defer to. His knowledge of pool is obviously top tier. Plus he has the personality to make it fun for players and viewers alike.

If I had my druthers, the Euro team would be having nightmares every day at the Mosconi Cup.

Keith and I were talking about this yesterday afternoon en route to the barber shop. :grin-square:

He said he'd love to be the coach and believes he could put a spark in the team. In fact, he was thinking Allen Hopkins and he would make good co-captains. We enjoyed discussing it for a bit. Keith described how he'd mold the players into competitors. In fact, Keith claims he is one of the best Scotch double players in the world. We both realize, however, that it is only a dream, but fun to think about.

I believe the coach should be current and relate-able.

As well, the coach must have the respect of the team members. What makes this difficult is that each year, there's a new team. Hard to build momentum like that.

And most of all, the coach needs to know pool inside and out as well as have the ability to communicate.

I don't like to see Mark Wilson's name thrown under the bus. The original plan was to give Mark 3 years to build a team. It just didn't work out, but not for his lack of trying very hard. I don't think there's anything else that he could have done differently. I think one reason is that each year the team is different. How do you develop a team when the cast of players changes annually?

Marcus Chamat is the epitome of current, relate-able, respected, and knows pool inside and out. Team USA needs a Marcus Chamat.

With the existing lot of professional players continuing to dwindle as each year goes by, choosing Mr. Right is difficult. I don't think there is a Mr. Right, but I hope I am wrong.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Honestly, Rodney would make a great coach. He has the best possible attitude and

his caliber of play is still well respected. I appreciate Fargorate for what it does, but

don't believe it is right for the MC because quite frankly the mindsets of EU and USA

are completely different and we need passion and fearlessness. Sky and Justin have

a good track record we need to build from, throw in Billy Thorpe and a couple of

guys who have the tactical experience and we stand a fighting chance. Jay would be

a good choice as well as he is likeable and pretty well respected.

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The coach ABSOLUTELY has a lot to do with the performance of a team.

In this event, the coach might not have much input on the selection process- but has a lot of influence in the results.

An exceptional coach can do wonders - if given the opportunity and the time.

Mark Griffin

Genius,

Just how much time does a coach need?

And..

Just how much time does the Mosconi Cup Coach have with his team?

sheesh.

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember all those rings the Bulls won before Phil Jackson, or the chants of a dynasty in the streets of Boston before Belechick coached the Patriots?

Of course, to your point, the coaching doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the team.

But you can bet a nickel that it most definitely has a bearing on the performance of the team. A great coach instills confidence and a winning attitude in their players, and does so not just when they're winning, but more importantly when they are losing. The American team has the physical skillset to win. What they lack most is between the ears.

Wilson is a great instructor and a great person. However, one only needs to listen to his commentary and watch the Americans attitudes when things don't go their way, to conclude he is not the best person to draw inspiration from. The Americans are playing uninspired pool at the moment, and that's where who the coach is matters the most.

Clueless, as usual.

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.....INSPIRATION....that's what we need.

Don't need better stroking technique.
Don't need better kicking ability.
Don't need better safety play.
Don't need better lagging.
Don't need better breaking.

INSPIRATION....that will do the trick.

Give the coach 2 weeks to inspire. Yeah....now we got em.

Cesspool....the appropriate name for AZBilliards forum.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep seeing that the selection process is part of the problem. Why? we've tried picking the name players before, and gotten slaughtered just like the last 2 years. The selection process is a step in the right direction-get players who are dedicated to making the team, and don't pick people who could care less whether they make it, and get selected just because they've got a big name and are popular. That's been tried. With this process, we get up and coming players like Justin Bergman and Skylar Woodward. Billy Thorpe and Josh Roberts, to name 2, can show us they belong, instead of us just hoping they do. While we're at it, Rodney Morris for one needs to be applauded for doing it right. He played the tournaments necessary to get in and went after it. I'll take 5 people with that kind of commitment as opposed to 5 that just get picked.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the European players have a government stipend? It's hard to compete against that.

Five players plus captain and co-captain at 50k per year is 350k. Live cheap, live together. Away from Vegas, etc.

They have a Seal "on their team". Let him be the coach and GO TO WAR.

Play the tapes. Set up the table where a safety went wrong and own it. Everyone.

Etc.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah its getting pretty ridiculous around here when it comes to the Mosconi Cup. Going in to the Mosconi Cup I'm pretty certain I mentioned that Bergman and Woodward would play well because their technique was the best on the team, while the other players would struggle. My eyes tell me this is exactly what happened.

If people don't know why we keep losing the MC it's only because they really don't want to know.

So what can a coach do? I think only one thing of substance and that is point out the areas of weakness in the prospective players as soon as possible -- like right now and if they don't make noticeable improvement in these areas they will not be considered for the wildcard spots. So getting on the team via points will be their only chance.

We need to set the bar higher when it comes to technique and stop accepting the standard reply that so and so's technique isn't the problem when it really is. I would pay a truly elite cueist, such as a Steve Davis, to review all the prospective players and give just one piece of advice for them to work on during this season. Really that's all we can do with our current players. Hopefully, a few of our up and comers have better fundamentals. I've seen Billy Thorpe play a few times and he seems pretty solid but unfortunately, I think there's only one of him.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah its getting pretty ridiculous around here when it comes to the Mosconi Cup. Going in to the Mosconi Cup I'm pretty certain I mentioned that Bergman and Woodward would play well because their technique was the best on the team, while the other players would struggle. My eyes tell me this is exactly what happened.

If people don't know why we keep losing the MC it's only because they really don't want to know.

So what can a coach do? I think only one thing of substance and that is point out the areas of weakness in the prospective players as soon as possible -- like right now and if they don't make noticeable improvement in these areas they will not be considered for the wildcard spots. So getting on the team via points will be their only chance.

We need to set the bar higher when it comes to technique and stop accepting the standard reply that so and so's technique isn't the problem when it really is. I would pay a truly elite cueist, such as a Steve Davis, to review all the prospective players and give just one piece of advice for them to work on during this season. Really that's all we can do with our current players. Hopefully, a few of our up and comers have better fundamentals. I've seen Billy Thorpe play a few times and he seems pretty solid but unfortunately, I think there's only one of him.

I don't really understand how one can criticize the technique of Shane Vane Boening- perhaps the best player in the world and if not that a certain top 5. Also, it is difficult to criticize the technique of Rodney Morris as well- how can a guy who has won the US Open 9 ball and 10 ball have such flawed technique?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

If our players need to be "pumped up" by a coach - we are in a lot worse trouble than the score shows.

There is not a coach in the world that can help - the "coach" has nothing to do with it, he might as well stay home and call them before the match and wish them goodluck.
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I don't really understand how one can criticize the technique of Shane Vane Boening- perhaps the best player in the world and if not that a certain top 5. Also, it is difficult to criticize the technique of Rodney Morris as well- how can a guy who has won the US Open 9 ball and 10 ball have such flawed technique?

He lost all 4 of his matches and still had the next 2 matches after MD - what a TERRIBLE lineup
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I could get behind Keith, he would have the entire place fired up. At least it would be fun:thumbup:

We need MORE trash talk not less, and with it being in the USA next year Keith would be probably the best fit.

Have him call out Euros coach for a race to 13 to kick it off with both of em Mic'd up(well mainly Keiith :) )
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Would also like to see a "old timers" pre game MC matchup Keith, Earl, CJ, Hatch, Siegel (or whoever) against some of the older Euro guys
Jason