Bad Etiquette?

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
My wife and I are pretty avid pool players, we play at least once a week. sometimes more.
We both own our own cues.
We are going to play pool with another couple that are not as interested in pool as we are, they play casually, and don't own their own sticks.
When we go to play with them, should we bring our cues, or would we be showing off or intimidating them?
Should we just use the house cues, as they will do?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always leave mine when I'm shooting wih non pool players (unless it's at my table). I don't think there's anything wrong with taking your own cue though.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take and use your own cue, whether others have their own or not. Playing pool is about having fun...and you'll have more fun shooting with your own cue than a house cue. Besides...the other couple may "see the light" after seeing how you and your wife play with your equipment. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

prpavi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd use house cues, also depends on the room, if you are going to a casual place pool cases will stand out for sure.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My wife and I are pretty avid pool players, we play at least once a week. sometimes more.
We are going to play pool with another couple that are not as interested in pool as we are, they play casually, and don't own their own sticks.
When we go to play with them, should we bring our cues, or would we be showing off or intimidating them?

What would you do if they ask to shoot with your cues? :rolleyes:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member

Yeah.... its all very situational and personal. I would bring my cues and made sure I brought a couple for my guests so they can pose smartly at the table. If I had just one cue, I would likely leave it at home so there is no weirdness. I like for everyone to be on the level and enjoying a shared experience. No perceived advantage to feel slighted by, no matter how small.

Everyone knows and feels this.... its not really an issue. Easy decision to make.

Lesh

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy them a couple inexpensive sneaky's. You won't be out much and maybe your friends will really dig pool having their own cues.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
This is the part that would scare me. My stuff is too expensive to loan out even if I'm there.

Most non players and a lot of players just don't understand the importance of your cue to you no matter the price. I had a few 700 - $1,000 cues anybody could use( i really have no respect for many objects in my life) at my place, and usually 1 of those with me at all times. I have let quite a few hit balls with all the cues I've had - from cheap to Searing, Szam etc.

With that being said, I think it would be a weird to bring a cue to hang with another couple unless I let them share one of mine.
Jason

Thats^^^^^^a lot of rambling nonsense about nothing. Sorry

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member

Bring some el cheapo loaner cues along with your personal cues.

Also, play doubles guys vs girls or something, Beating the non-playing couple into submission is a good way to lose their interest in ever playing again.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Typically if non-pool players ask me to go play I'll demur unless they are very good friends. Someone who doesn't play isn't going to have much fun playing me and vice versa. That being said if I was meeting friends at a pool room for the sole purpose of hanging out and playing pool I'd bring my cues. If we were just meeting up at a bar for drinks/hanging out, or if we might start at the poolroom and go to dinner or another bar I'd probably leave the cues at home and just keep it casual with a house cue for the 2 or 3 games we play.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
snip........
Also, play doubles guys vs girls or something, Beating the non-playing couple into submission is a good way to lose their interest in ever playing again.
Playing Scotch Doubles with the strongest player taking the weakest player as partner makes for a fun game. That would usually mean me playing with the other wife. A good way to play scotch is to share a cue. Pass it back and forth after each shot. That way it is easier to remember who shoots at the start of an inning. Then you can share your cues and be close at hand to coach them on the handling of a precious cue.:cool:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why would this be a "bad etiquette"?
You have a cue, they don't. Bring it.
You're into pool, they're not. Enjoy it. Have fun.
If they ever get into it perhaps they will bring their own cue.
Do you prefer to wear a glove? Wear it.
Do you like wearing sneakers? Wear them. Even if they don't own a pair.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I too would use the Wallabushkas .
Adult beverages will doubtless be involved so the first thing you know you've got a dent in your butt sleeve the size of New Jersey. Your friend's wife was using it at the time so your start eating her ass out for being so damn clumsy.
Your buddy takes offense at your verbal barrage and takes a swing at you. He misses and hits the guy in the booth next door splitting his lip. You think all this is funnier than hell and collapse to the floor laughing your ass off. Meanwhile the wives have got all up into each other's face and begin slap fighting.
As they roll around on the floor they start tearing at each others clothes. The guy that was sitting next to you stops pounding your friend and he, your friend, and you, all gather around the cat fight hoping that one of the ladies will accidentally kiss the other one. I've seen this shit before.
Finally, the girls are exhausted and quit. No kisses have been exchanged, nor were any bras torn asunder. All in all, a pretty poor display on how women are supposed to fight.
Everyone then calls it a night. Your pal exchanges phone numbers with the guy in the next booth. Something about playing pool next week. You and your wife head home trying to remember the name of a local cue smith.
Come to think on it, maybe you should call up and cancel. :smile:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Playing Scotch Doubles with the strongest player taking the weakest player as partner makes for a fun game. That would usually mean me playing with the other wife. A good way to play scotch is to share a cue. Pass it back and forth after each shot. That way it is easier to remember who shoots at the start of an inning. Then you can share your cues and be close at hand to coach them on the handling of a precious cue.:cool:

^^^ I like this thought.

Also a good reason to have a $50 cue that you don't mind using as a loaner.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bring your cue. They must already know you are more than just casual players.

The real solution is never take a cue out of the house that you are going to worry about.