Do I have a Right to be Upset - Blood Stains on Cloth?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fresh blood on a table? Totally unacceptable... Yeah, you could have
handled it a little better, but hindsight is 20-20.

IMO, just 'cleaning' the blood up is a non-starter, maybe you and
the gentleman could split the cost for recovering the tables?

Using an insurance claim for this isn't smart, your rates will go up.

$.02

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't consider the way I handled as unglued and uncalled for as you may be assuming, or as bad as I guess I made it seem it my initial post - just a bit out of character with how I normally would handle situations with complete tact and discreetness. The only people in the poolroom at that time were the regular tournament players - all who know him well and generally all who felt it was an egregious and completely unexcuseable, particularly that he still didn't even notice it after ruining 3-4 different tables. Another poolroom owner who plays in our tournaments was here, and I asked him how he would have felt and handled it if this gentleman had done the same thing in his poolroom, and he said he'd prefer not to comment on that, but I know it would likely not have been as well as I handled it. I've already talked to this gentleman - we've both apologized and we're moving on.

It seems strange that it was so egregious to the other regulars yet no one said or did anything until 3 or 4 tables were stained?

One other thought I'll throw out. Many people his age are on blood thinners, and it is amazing how something so insignificant you don't even notice it can result in a pretty copious bleeding if you are on a blood thinner

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you not see blood on your hands? Does he have a chalk less cue? How do you not notice blood on the table/multiple tables?

Price of business blah blah blah. Poolrooms aren't known to make big $$$ and a $1,200 - $1,500 hit can be the difference in paying the Bill's and not paying them.
Jason

How did he not see? Probably the same way the people he was playing with did not see.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's awfully cold and dry out there, right now, isn't it?

This can cause your skin to dry, crack and bleed.

I'm sure he didn't mean to do it. Just apologize and move on. Another lesson learned. Next time, inspect everyone's hands before play. NO EXCEPTIONS. Make them get in a line, hold out their hands palms up. After checking each players hands, tell them to turn them over and check the other side. Problem solved.

Just Kidding. Sorry for the damage to the tables. He should have noticed the blood on his hands and took care of it before more than one table had blood on it. One table is an accident. More than one, is just stupid. Blood isn't like other spills. It's a biohazard. Good luck with the clean up.

We're the people he was playing with stupid as well for not saying anything before 3 or 4 tables got stained?

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
We're the people he was playing with stupid as well for not saying anything before 3 or 4 tables got stained?

I said it was stupid. I didn't say he was stupid. I didn't say the people he we're playing with are stupid. I didn't say you we're stupid either. I'm thinking it, but I didn't say it.

Yes. If there is a noticeable amount of blood on the tables, then yes, there are some stupid people there. How's that? JMO :thumbup:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New rule: everyone wears 'em if they want to play.

Squeamish ain't how the west was won.

Attachments

• Yeller.jpg
    Yeller.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 214

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's only a short time frame from when the blood hits the cloth and his hands/fingers smear it in to the cloth that it turns color from red to brown. I'm assuming this is one reason he and perhaps others he was playing with on the same table didn't immediately pick up on it.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could try writing Simonis to see if they'll send you some dye for the color of cloth you have.

Then, do the peroxide and attempt to re-dye.

They may even be sympathetic to the situation and help you out in some other way.

jmarcum1984

Registered
I have to agree with a couple of other folks who mentioned that his opponents did not notice either. If you were upset at the gentleman for not noticing he was bleeding, you should be equally upset at those playing him who did not notice.

It sounds like you have handled the situation with your patron since the incident, and that he was also an upstanding guy and was willing to take responsibility for his accident and for understanding your brief "unraveling" at the time. I would do what it takes to keep this patron and others like him.

Good luck with the repairs.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Do I have a right to be this upset for his negligence resulting in numerous permanent blood stain streaks on at least 3 tables?"

Odd questions.

You own a business that is open to the public.

SHIT HAPPENS.

Ive cleaned up puke, shit, blood etc etc etc on more than one occasion when I worked in and ran grocery stores.

Remember that time you claimed surface cracks from g10 tips were "miscue marks"?

Before that you had another thread saying that you use steel wool to remove miscue marks.

You seem to me to not have a clue as to what you talk about.

So yes, you ask some VERY odd questions for someone who has 'owned a poolroom for 23 years.

It's ok Chris your place is immaculate, a hidden gem . Good job taking pride in your business and ask all the questions you want . I did flooring for 35 years and learned something new everyday ! I have a question for this guy .... wanna play some sets at Chris's pool room on Monday nights? Id rather lose than do nothing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep...had a store front window broken. Used the insurance to repair and they would not renew. Save the insurance for the big one.
On the other hand, you learn which insurance company not to have.

I was backing out of my parking space at the pool hall lot and hit a car that was parked where it wasn't supposed to be. Still my fault. My insurance paid. They also lowered my rate due to the previous accident-free years.

My father worked as an independent insurance claims adjuster for car accidents. He saw a lot of accidents and dealt with a lot of companies. Three pieces of advice: don't get a motorcycle; don't leave your lane during a freeway problem; you're in bad hands with Allstate. (My brother swore me to silence about his motorcycle; dog in your lane? try to hit it squarely and do not brake suddenly; USAA.)

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 1 we had an $800 window broken. Submitted to insurance and paid. They never lose....in the long run. If it can't be remedied, submit for your loses on the cloth.