Tournament Play vs 1-on-1 $ Match-ups - Which Do You Prefer and Why?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are both completely different animals, in my opinion. I've come to the conclusion that I have a preference for the extended long session 1-on-1 $$ matchups against an evenly matched competitor. Obviously (of course depending on how much $$ you're playing for) you can potentially lose far more $$ in the heads up session than in a tournament, which is why many players who may not be able to afford the heads up sessions prefer tournament play.

The biggest advantage I find for myself is that in a 1-on-1 session, you are constantly in action - playing multiple sets over multiple hours, so even if you start out slow and lose the first set or even two, you will eventually have the chance to find your game and your stroke, to start playing closer to your potential skill level that you know you've proven you can play in your solo practice sessions. Of course, physical endurance and remaining mentally focused can be an issue in a marathon session for some players, particularly as we get older, which I find as a challenge.

In a tournament, you have little opportunity to warm up and you have to bring your best game for one set, which is not easy to do and in many ways, places more pressure on you, even though you may be potentially risking far less $$ than in the heads up sessions. If you happen to lose any set (assuming a double elimination format) the next loss will end your tournament. A few lucky breaks for your opponent or an unlucky break or two for you can be the difference in winning or losing that one set/match, whereas that will rarely make the difference between being the overall winner or loser in an extended multiple set 1-on-1 session. Also, in tournaments, the time breaks and waits between matches, in which you rarely are able to have a table to practice on, keep you from being able to get in stroke and/or to stay in stroke, which is frustrating. Even for a well attended weekly tournament, if you make it in to the late rounds, you may be at the poolroom for 5-6 hours, but only having actually been in matches for less than half that time.

I feel very lucky that I've recently been matching up once a week, playing even, against a similar skill level opponent. We both take it very seriously and there is enough $$ at stake that we both bear down hard every shot, every game, with many safety battles that ensue - we are both conservative players and we play on a table with 4-1/4" corners and 4-3/4" sides. There is virtually no verbal communication to speak of while we are playing - personally that's the way I like it and I'm sure him as well. We both highly respect each other's games and we take pride in our performance. We play 4-5 long race sets per session, as we generally take around 2 hours per set. Neither player has yet to win 3 straight sets and neither player has ever been shut out of winning at least one set in a session. We do it on our weekly tournament night here, starting mid afternoon and lately we've decided to just keep playing and forego playing in the tournament, as the heads up playing is far more rewarding and likely more beneficial to our games than playing in the handicapped tournament.

Opinions as to which you all prefer and why? - Thanks

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are both completely different animals, in my opinion. I've come to the conclusion that I have a preference for the extended long session 1-on-1 $$ matchups against an evenly matched competitor. Obviously (of course depending on how much $$ you're playing for) you can potentially lose far more $$ in the heads up session than in a tournament, which is why many players who may not be able to afford the heads up sessions prefer tournament play.

The biggest advantage I find for myself is that in a 1-on-1 session, you are constantly in action - playing multiple sets over multiple hours, so even if you start out slow and lose the first set or even two, you will eventually have the chance to find your game and your stroke, to start playing closer to your potential skill level that you know you've proven you can play in your solo practice sessions. Of course, physical endurance and remaining mentally focused can be an issue in a marathon session for some players, particularly as we get older, which I find as a challenge.

In a tournament, you have little opportunity to warm up and you have to bring your best game for one set, which is not easy to do and in many ways, places more pressure on you, even though you may be potentially risking far less $$ than in the heads up sessions. If you happen to lose any set (assuming a double elimination format) the next loss will end your tournament. A few lucky breaks for your opponent or an unlucky break or two for you can be the difference in winning or losing that one set/match, whereas that will rarely make the difference between being the overall winner or loser in an extended multiple set 1-on-1 session. Also, in tournaments, the time breaks and waits between matches, in which you rarely are able to have a table to practice on, keep you from being able to get in stroke and/or to stay in stroke, which is frustrating. Even for a well attended weekly tournament, if you make it in to the late rounds, you may be at the poolroom for 5-6 hours, but only having actually been in matches for less than half that time.

Opinions as to which you all prefer and why? - Thanks

I always enjoyed the one on one battle.
There is a special feeling when you beat someone everyone thinks is superior to you.
Your will against theirs.
The problem is , it so seldom happens where both players are anywhere near equal, that it is pretty much a joke.
Usually one of the players is all about improving , testing himself in the fire and trying to find his place in the pool room pecking order.
The other guy is a ball or 2 or better player, and has been waiting weeks or months for the guy who wants to improve, to work his way up to them, so they can get a payday and a piece of the old glory.
Even though they may be rusty from lack of trying, they know they have the nuts , so they usually play without worry.
A lot of the time, it isn't even that the better player is such a lock up artist , they just never have any money, so they have learned to never take chances.
When you know the backstories on most of the people in the pool room , it is really a sad bunch of derelicts, and misfits playing the game.
I think it was Earl who said "
pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people". I can't think of anything that describes it better.
It doesn't have to be that way, I once found a niche area where not everyone was on the make , but it is rarer than finding a Sasquatch in your bathtub, using your wifes scented candles.
The pool denizens from all over the country eventually found out about it, and killed the spot.
I have met some awesome people playing pool, I have also met some people I would never allow behind me, you have to decide if one is worth the other.
One thing I know for sure , if you gamble , you will attract a lot more of the ones you don't want behind you, just the nature of the beast.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
gambling

I always liked to play pool. When I played tournaments I almost always came up the winners side then had to cool my heels waiting on the loser's bracket. Sitting around for hours wasn't my thing to do.

One on one I can control the tempo and stay on the table. I generally made more money too. I was also free to move from place to place if I wanted to. The freedom of gambling always outweighed tournament play.

Hu

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tournament play because I never cared for gambling. that and I get to see a lot of people I know and meet new ones.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always liked to play pool. When I played tournaments I almost always came up the winners side then had to cool my heels waiting on the loser's bracket. Sitting around for hours wasn't my thing to do.

One on one I can control the tempo and stay on the table. I generally made more money too. I was also free to move from place to place if I wanted to. The freedom of gambling always outweighed tournament play.

Hu
Yeah, once on the loser's side of the bracket, you generally get to play a lot more matches (as long as you can keep winning them) and can more likely get/stay in stroke. Whereas, the further you advance in the winner's bracket, the longer the waits are between matches.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer tournaments for the following reasons:
1. More of a social event with lots of spectators and players
2. No one has been called out and has something to prove
3. Less animosity between players
4. The most you can lose is your entry fee
5. You can play better players without risking much money
6. You get a small amount of notoriety and congrats for doing well
7. Tournament director available to settle disputes

On the other hand, there are some positive aspects to gambling matches:
1. More money available to be made
2. Everything is negotiable (game, rules, handicap, etc.)
3. You can play for long sessions without interruption
4. No matter how many times you lose, you can always come back
5. Higher stakes
6. Higher pressure situations

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never played tournaments
i don't play that good,but would not play
even if i did

match up and play,just culture when i started

there were hardly any tournaments and i preferred to bet
on the game

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Private sessions by FAR which is ONE of the many reasons why I've NEVER been in a league and ALMOST never played in a tournament.

I think, I've played in three, maybe four tournaments in my life. I didn't enjoy any of them in the least. Regardless of how much money it paid.... just isn't my thing.

On the other hand, I did a ton of gambling when younger with anyone that came along and ENJOYED each and every set/game nomatter win/lose.

Today, well, I don't call what I do gambling most of the time. It's way to cheap to qualify as gambling to me/most.

I think being a SLEEPER is the biggest pleasure to me.