9-Ball Break with a Template, 9-ball on Spot - Strategies?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize players that have figured this out aren't likely to share this info on here, but it can't hurt to ask, for a 9-ball break using a template and a high rack with the 9-ball being racked on the spot. I know there are certain spots to break from near the side rail, aiming at a specific spot on the 1-ball, at a certain speed, that can give very favorable results with one or more balls consistently racing towards (and often going in) the corner pocket nearest the rack and on the same side you break from, as well as the 1-ball going in the opposite side pocket from where you break from. Any hints on where exactly you place the cue ball and where exactly your aiming point is on the 1-ball and what speed and spin you hit on the cue ball to get the most desireable results? Thanks!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
If you don't have to worry about the 3-point rule, I have found a pretty reliable strategy that will get you the 1 in the side. Unfortunately that means you don't know what your next shot will look like.

Also, making the ball is easier if you don't hit with any spin, but then your cue ball might end near the foot rail afterwards.

I think this method has a chance to make the wing ball, but after trying it a lot, I only got the wing ball once, while I made the 1 in the side several times.

Set the cue ball up on the line between the diamonds shown, and the spot (the 9b). Aim right at the 9-ball, or if it's easier, aim like you want to do exactly a half-ball hit on the 1.

K9RI9zT.jpg

Hit hard and a bit below center. If you want to play position too, use low+left to draw the cue ball 1 rail back to the middle. Or, if you really smack them, you can do what Ko Pin Yi does very well and zigzag the cue ball all the way back up into the kitchen.

I find if I use low+left, the deflection makes the shot hard for me to aim consistently. My rate of popping in that 1 ball goes up if I don't try to play shape.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I realize players that have figured this out aren't likely to share this info on here, but it can't hurt to ask, for a 9-ball break using a template and a high rack with the 9-ball being racked on the spot. I know there are certain spots to break from near the side rail, aiming at a specific spot on the 1-ball, at a certain speed, that can give very favorable results with one or more balls consistently racing towards (and often going in) the corner pocket nearest the rack and on the same side you break from, as well as the 1-ball going in the opposite side pocket from where you break from. Any hints on where exactly you place the cue ball and where exactly your aiming point is on the 1-ball and what speed and spin you hit on the cue ball to get the most desireable results? Thanks!
Racking and breaking advice for every 9-ball rules situation can be found in the videos and articles here:

9-ball racking and breaking advice

Enjoy,
Dave

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

9 on spot :

I break from corner of box, cut the one between the far corner pocket and 1st diamond on end rail with extreme spin and a touch of bottom. Speed, like spin and draw will depend on your stroke.

As for the 1 ball in the side:

Why the hell would you want to make the 1? You need to learn to play shape on the 1.

In the end:

You should spend more "quality" time on table. If you did, you wouldn't need to ask such basic questions. Not trying to be a smart a55 but, its true.

Now, after you figure it out then start a discussion. That way, you have a baseline to learn from.

Notice how I didn't come in your thread and be a smarta55 the way you do?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zigzag the cue ball all the way back up into the kitchen.

IMO, ^^^^^^^^^^^ is the best way to go while trying to "force" the 1 ball back to kitchen with the CB.

Of course, if you dont make the wing, you may be in trouble but thems-the-breaks!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to start anything, but I find it odd that someone who owns a pool hall can't figure out how to break.

If I owned a pool hall, I'd be breaking like SVB and Corey.

If I had my way, I'd solve the breaking problem altogether.

You take the balls out of the pockets, or the ball return, and place them into a cloth bag and then shake them up a bit. Then you reach into the bag and pull the balls out, one by one, and start by placing the first ball on the head spot and then working your way backwards in a left-to-right order. The balls are placed into the positions as they are pulled out of the bag and it doesn't matter where any ball is in the rack.

The breaker then has to hit the "head" ball on the break and maybe drive "X number" past the string. Then play begins on the one ball and the game is played as normal.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Tactics, not strategies.

How you hit the cue ball, where you place the cue, how hard/fast, where you aim on the 1-ball - all tactics.

How you manage these tactics during a game is based on your overall strategy.

But learning how to break 9-ball, which is about as elemental as it gets, is a tactical endeavor.

-von

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How you break depends upon the rules in place.

I have played people who didn't want any rules and you racked, and broke, however you wanted, as long as you hit the one ball first on the break. They didn't want to play push after the break either, but they always wanted to play BIH and 3-foul rules.

I "cured" most of them of that bad habit.

I would come from the side of the string and shoot softly across the one ball and go two rails and behind the stack with the cue ball, where they were usually frozen to something and behind all nine balls.

I would then use BIH and 3-foul them out, over and over, without a single ball ever being made.

This was a tactic that a lot of people used in Germany many years ago.