Weight of your break cue

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im getting ready to drop some cash on a new break cue. I currently use an Omega with the pin inverted. the shaft has the large and long wood pin and it screws into the but. I only paid $65 brand new but the pin is getting sloppy and wont stay tight. I love this cue but it has a bunch of grooves gouged into it from the corners of Vally tables . Any way here is the question, Does any one know the science of weight on a break shot. Is it better to have a lighter cue so you can move it faster or is it the heavyer cue that will impart more energy on the rack. Ive heard both explainations. But ive never seen any proof that one is bettter than the other.
Please Help

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
The weight isn't a be all end all for all people. I've stuck with a weight just slightly higher than my player. I will through the balance point out there as well. I had a Lomax j/b that I raffled off after I won a bk2. Both were 20oz, but the bk2 was extremely end weighted compared to the Lomax. I ended up cutting the weight bolt down until it matched the balance point of the Lomax. Once I cut the weight down on the bk2 and brought up the balance point I was breaking at the same speed as I was with the Lomax.

So if I were to give my own personal opinion I would say that with a general range of 18.5-20oz for a breaker the balance point is more important than the actual weight of the cue.

kelvinling

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mine is close to a 21oz Mezz Power Break Pro. Just love that exploding impact when I play 10 ball :)

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break cue weight.

17&1/2 oz's and love it. :D

I have always been in the lighter moves faster fraternity. I think for people who for whatever reason can't seem to generate great speed then a heavier cue is their ticket. My recently and first ever dedicated break cue is a Joe Bouska (Amarillo Texas). I have tried many other players break cues and nothing breaks harder than this Bouska. Diamond wood shaft, supposedly, a laminated dark shaft with unusual taper near the joint and another unusual taper in the handle! Weight is 22.3. Certainly not light but my little freight train.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
For the 34th time and certainly not the last.

Break cue weight is different for everyone. Simply put, if I can move a heavier cue at a higher speed, then that's the formula I will use. The best of both.

I break with a custom Stinger and it weighs in at 18oz.
randyg

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
For the 34th time and certainly not the last.

Break cue weight is different for everyone. Simply put, if I can move a heavier cue at a higher speed, then that's the folmula I will use. The best of both.

I break with a custom Stinger and it weighs in at 18oz.
randyg

Randy is right. You can ask 20 different people and get 12 to 15 different answers. Personally, I like my break cue about the same weight and balance as my player, @ 19 oz. My Jerico Stinger does a mighty fine job on a rack of balls if I do MY job correctly!!! I've tried other peoples break cues that absolutely SWORE by them and they didn't break well for me. I feel very sluggish with a cue of over 22 ounces, and the cues that are under 18 ounces feel like a piece of straw in my hands. Overly forward/backward balanced cues do not feel right in my hands. So bottom line is, it's all personal opinion/taste.

If it's not too late, I would suggest trying different break cues (maybe friends/acquaintances will let you try theirs out) before spending your hard-earned bucks on something you may later regret buying.

Maniac

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
The break is JUST another shot. Break at the same weight you shoot with, more consistent, better control, better speed, just flat out better consistency.

I break with a 15.5oz cue and I'll put my break up against any ones. But I've lent my cue to several that just can't get it working for them. My shooter is also a 15.5oz. Also, both are Keith Kustom Kues.

It all comes down to personal preference. Shoot with what works for you! Most people think I'm crazy for shooting w/ what I do, and I prefer it that way. Makes finding the drain plug in their wallet easier. ;)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
......... If it's not too late, I would suggest trying different break cues (maybe friends/acquaintances will let you try theirs out) before spending your hard-earned bucks on something you may later regret buying.

Maniac

Green rep for you, Maniac. That's a great suggestion.

Some players can be a bit apprehensive when you want to test drive thier shooting cue. Folks will let you go all out with thier breaker, though.

PMS

Banned
Develope Your Stroke

Use a cue that fits, its weight, length, balance, texture of wood, telegraph of hit.

Most importantly, Develope Your Stroke.

Running the Cue Ball straight down the middle of pack to the back rail or just tickle 1 or 2 balls at the break.

Push or Pull, Develope your Stroke.

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
I've tried both ends of the spectrum in recent years.
22.7 oz custom break cue with a PH shaft
17.0 oz Lomax break cue

After extensive use of both, my personal experience has led me to be a member of the lighter is better camp. My break has been much more consistent and showing steady improvement with my Lomax.

I suggest you experiment and find out what works for you rather than accepting one theory over another.

-Patrick

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Break cue

Playing cue - 19 oz.
Break cue - 19.5 oz

I don't subscribe to the lighter is better theory. Any increased speed from using a lighter cue for breaking would be so very minimal that it would not make a difference. What it might do for someone though, is they might be able to control a lighter cue better than a heavier one, and therefore get a better break then.

Nothing I hate more though is for a couple of balls to be rolling towards a pocket and have them pull up short a couple of inches away. With a heavier cue that doesn't happen to me, with a lighter cue it does.

FICTION

Registered
force = mass (times) acceleration

If you can accelerate the heavier cue as quickly as the lighter one, then you're getting more force. However i think the difference would be minimal in most cases

Anunnaki

Registered
Energy = Mass x Velocity (squared).

The slightest increase in speed effectively doubles the kinetic energy compared to adding weight. I use a 17oz break cue.