Mosconi Cup Rankings and Schedule from Matchroom Sports

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if they'll ever allow Karen to compete in Mosconi Cup. If she plays in more open events, she should be included.

She is Irish, correct? I don`t see her making the European team. If she were an American citizen I could see her making our team though.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Karen Corr

She is Irish, correct? I don`t see her making the European team. If she were an American citizen I could see her making our team though.

Karen became a US Citizen well over a year ago. When I was at the US Open 9 Ball last year I was standing next to Mark Wilson when Karen (Karen had beaten Ko Pin Yi the prior day 11-4) was Hill/Hill with Jayson Shaw. I said to Mark "What if Karen would be a Mosconi Cup points contender". He gave a big smile and replied "That would be interesting".

It certainly would be Mark

Wedge

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just,out of boredom, checked the entire us points ranking from the link and there's like 200some players with points the last prolly 200 have less than about 5 but I got to the bottom n saw players I know that never cashed in a pro event so I was confused n looked into it n found out that some grade 2 events gave points to players up to 32nd place but I doubt there were 32 total n I know for sure they didn't pay 32nd or even 16th more likely 8th or possibly 9-12th but basically they gave points in those tournaments for signing up? I'm pointing this out not bashing players or the events of match room but I am confused and if how I view it is the way it is I don't think that's fair because the other events aren't like that at all. If anyone has insight it was regarding the ginky pro event I believe

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even after winning 2 barbox events Justin is still 50pts from 5th.

Good.

The current top 5 is very strong.

My guess is that either Dechaine or Oscar gets shafted and Mark takes Bergman instead.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good.

My guess is that either Dechaine or Oscar gets shafted and Mark takes Bergman instead.

That isn't good.

You could make a good argument that Bergman is the 2nd best 9 ball player in the USA. The team will be worse if he isn't on it.

I think the best team would be: SVB, Bergman, Morris, Dechaine, and Oscar. If Archer played more and if Earl could keep his head on straight, they would probably be better 5th options than Oscar in terms of playing ability.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Karen became a US Citizen well over a year ago. ...

So wouldn't that make her eligible for Team USA? If so, she should be on the Matchroom list in 17th place with 45 points -- 5 points for 25th/32nd at TS XXV and 40 points for 2nd at TS XXVI.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Looks to me like they gave Dechaine 2 points too many (18 instead of 16) for the Eastern States event. They cut the points for the other positions by one-third because of the low turnout. The original schedule had 24 points for 2nd place, so cutting that by one-third gives 16. That's also what they did for the Empire State event earlier in the year (cutting by 1/3), and 2nd place there (Jorge Rodriguez) was 16 points.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think the best team would be: SVB, Bergman, Morris, Dechaine, and Oscar.

That would be a solid team but Bergman, a very fine player, hasn't earned it. He was a wild card a year ago and logic says he won't get a wild card two years in a row.

That said, there's much pool to be played before the Mosconi and let's see where the dust settles. Good luck to all the contenders.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be a solid team but Bergman, a very fine player, hasn't earned it. He was a wild card a year ago and logic says he won't get a wild card two years in a row.

That said, there's much pool to be played before the Mosconi and let's see where the dust settles. Good luck to all the contenders.

I didn't follow it very closely, but didn't Bergman play well last year in the MC? If so, logic would follow that he should be selected. He is such a talented player and seems to hold up under pressure. I'm surprised he isn't ranked higher.

On a side note, I saw him in person for the first time this summer in Vegas and I was taken aback by how little he is. It looks like he weighs 120 pounds!

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good.

Your disdain for the Bar box events is quite laughable. Getting in the top 8 or even 16 in a regional event just because is on a nine footer is not better than winning 2 bar box national events.

i think your confusing your hate of watching Babox pool (which isd fine) for your comparing the skill level it takes to win an event of that size.

in the mezz tour or eastern championships joss tour etc you have a couple of pro players at best excluding TS. The events Justin won had a huge field including Woodward, SVB, Mcminn, Saez, Klatt, Olinger, Billy Thorpe, Edgie etc and by the logic if B is easier then all the top regional players have a better chance of beating the pros. ?

Is BB 10 ball easier than on a nine foot sure it is nobody disputing that. So therefore even more incredible that he wins two events with a stellar field.

Justin will get points at US open, 14.1 if playing .

He just has to pick his events more wisely and play in more tier 1, 2, categories. Like Oscar plays in World 9 and China Open, never wins but gets more points than tier 3 events. Good for him.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Justin will get points at US open, 14.1 if playing .

He just has to pick his events more wisely and play in more tier 1, 2, categories. Like Oscar plays in World 9 and China Open, never wins but gets more points than tier 3 events. Good for him.

- No 14.1 event offers Mosconi Cup points.

- The only player earning MC points for Team USA at the World 9-Ball event was SVB.

- No one earned MC points for Team USA at the China Open.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your disdain for the Bar box events is quite laughable. Getting in the top 8 or even 16 in a regional event just because is on a nine footer is not better than winning 2 bar box national events.

i think your confusing your hate of watching Babox pool (which isd fine) for your comparing the skill level it takes to win an event of that size.

in the mezz tour or eastern championships joss tour etc you have a couple of pro players at best excluding TS. The events Justin won had a huge field including Woodward, SVB, Mcminn, Saez, Klatt, Olinger, Billy Thorpe, Edgie etc and by the logic if B is easier then all the top regional players have a better chance of beating the pros. ?

Is BB 10 ball easier than on a nine foot sure it is nobody disputing that. So therefore even more incredible that he wins two events with a stellar field.

Justin will get points at US open, 14.1 if playing .

Europe, Taiwan, China, Phillipines, etc.

How many major bar box events do you think they have?

Why do we only have one player that can consistently do well overseas?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I didn't follow it very closely, but didn't Bergman play well last year in the MC? If so, logic would follow that he should be selected. He is such a talented player and seems to hold up under pressure. I'm surprised he isn't ranked higher.

In 2014, just one player played really well at the Mosconi and that was Justin Hall, who had a strong and winning record. Mark Wilson did not choose him in 2015, so one must infer that this is not a factor, and I would agree with Mark that it shouldn't be.

Bergman played decently at last year's Mosconi but went 1-2 n singles, and when he hooked himself at double hill with the score sitting at Europe 9 USA 6, it, for all practical purposes, it ended Team USA's chances. When the pressure was turned up highest, he didn't close out a critical match.

Justin is a great talent who has had a pretty mediocre 2016 in competition. Of course, a strong US Open could change all that and nobody would be surprised if Justin has a good showing. Wishing him the best.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Current top 10, per Matchroom Sport:

1. VAN BOENING Shane.....249
2. MORRIS Rodney.....192
3. DOMINGUEZ Oscar.....183
4. WOODWARD Skyler.....179
5. DECHAINE Mike.....177
6. MCMINN Shane.....119
T7. BERGMAN Justin.....115
T7. WILKIE Shaun.....115
9. SHUFF Brandon.....107
10. LOMBARDO Hunter.....91

22 events down, 6 to go. Pretty good horse race here for 2nd through 5th. But lots of points still available.

[I see they corrected the mistake on Dechaine's points for the Eastern States 10-Ball.]

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Subject to confirmation (or correction) once Matchroom Sport posts the official standings, it looks like the top 10 now, after the 4 Bears 8-Ball event, are:

1. VAN BOENING Shane.....275
2. WOODWARD Skyler.....207
3. MORRIS Rodney.....201
4. DOMINGUEZ Oscar.....190
5. DECHAINE Mike.....177
6. WILKIE Shaun.....127
7. MCMINN Shane.....119
8. BERGMAN Justin.....115
9. SHUFF Brandon.....107
10. SAEZ Robb.....97

23 events down, 5 to go (Tornado 9' 10-Ball, Chinook 7' 10-Ball, Gotham City 9' 9-Ball, US Open 9' 9-Ball, Kuwait 9' 9-Ball)

Edit 9/27 -- The Matchroom Sport posting confirms that the above numbers are correct.

Last edited: