Zan Medium vs Zan Hard vs Zan Grip Hard for a Break Tip?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently using a Mezz cue with a Mezz EXPro shaft with a Zan medium tip that came on it for my 9-ball break cue, for the same reasons that many players are now using Revo shafts to break with - more precision accuracy. We break with a turtle rack, with the 9-ball on the spot, so accuracy and consistency on exactly where you contact the 1-ball is far more important than how hard you hit them. Recently it's been far more effective for me using the Mezz ExPro shaft for breaking than using my Mezz break cue with the super hard Sonic tip that comes on it.

I'm considering switching the tip on this EXPro shaft I'm using for breaking from the Zan medium to either a Zan hard or a Zan Grip hard tip. For those that have experimented with any of these tips, any opinions as to whether I'll be able to tell a difference, and which would you recommend between the Zan Hard tip and the Zan Grip Hard tip? I'm assuming either will feel a little more solid than the Zan Medium tip I'm currently using.

I'm also considering re-tipping my Mezz break cue from the Sonic tip that came on it to a Samsara break tip, based on recommendations I've heard from some of our players as well as reviews I've read on here. Opinions / recommendations from any here who use a Mezz break cue with the Sonic tip who then switched to another tip? Thanks!

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Chris!

I currently use the Zan Grip Hard on my Revos and my Vantage shaft. IMO, they make a great player. On a Revo, I don’t find them to be overly hard... unless I’m already immune to the hardness. I love the feel of a really solid tip vs the feel of a soft or Medium tip. I’ve never had any problems with the tips. They are very consistent from one tip to another meaning I’ve never had any glazing, mushrooming or shaping maintenance happen.

As far as break tips go, I currently have a Samsara on my H shaft. It definitely breaks great as it has the right amount of hardness to it while providing the control one would want with a break tip. If I had a choice though I think I will go with a White Diamond. I bought my current shaft w/ the Samsara installed but I have owned the DI, DI II & another H shaft & all of them had the Sonic tip. I had the WD on my OB Speed Break shaft and I loved it. Imo, The WD sounds & feels like a phenolic tip & it also has the control you get from the Samsara. The Sonic tip is a great tip but it’s flaw is does not hold chalk well...I can barely get any chalk on it once it is broken in. I will certainly go for a White Diamond when the Samsara is done.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I play with a Zan Hard, I love the way it plays, however I would not spend the money on one for a break tip.

There are cheaper, single layer hard leather options, including using a pressed Triangle.

JMHO

I'm currently using a Mezz cue with a Mezz EXPro shaft with a Zan medium tip that came on it for my 9-ball break cue, for the same reasons that many players are now using Revo shafts to break with - more precision accuracy. We break with a turtle rack, with the 9-ball on the spot, so accuracy and consistency on exactly where you contact the 1-ball is far more important than how hard you hit them. Recently it's been far more effective for me using the Mezz ExPro shaft for breaking than using my Mezz break cue with the super hard Sonic tip that comes on it.

I'm considering switching the tip on this EXPro shaft I'm using for breaking from the Zan medium to either a Zan hard or a Zan Grip hard tip. For those that have experimented with any of these tips, any opinions as to whether I'll be able to tell a difference, and which would you recommend between the Zan Hard tip and the Zan Grip Hard tip? I'm assuming either will feel a little more solid than the Zan Medium tip I'm currently using.

I'm also considering re-tipping my Mezz break cue from the Sonic tip that came on it to a Samsara break tip, based on recommendations I've heard from some of our players as well as reviews I've read on here. Opinions / recommendations from any here who use a Mezz break cue with the Sonic tip who then switched to another tip? Thanks!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a Zan Hard, I love the way it plays, however I would not spend the money on one for a break tip.

There are cheaper, single layer hard leather options, including using a pressed Triangle.

JMHO
At the risk of coming across as arrogant, I'd consider the amount I'd be spending for parts and labor to change my break tip to a Zan hard tip as minimal, in the big picture. The break is the most under-rated shot in pool for higher skilled players, and spending a little extra $ to get the feedback from a break tip I really like is not a concern to me, but thanks for your input / suggestion. Switching to this tip would also allow me the option of actually playing with this same cue/shaft/tip as well, if for whatever reason I chose to.

Last edited: