Cushion glue preference - in California

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been discussed earlier, but I'm guessing the California formulations may be different than those sold in other states.

Do you prefer:

A. 3M Neoprene Adhesive 10

B. 3M Fastbond Neutral 30NF

C. Or the new RKC stuff? I may be able to get that in a quart here in CA, not sure.

I got a new pint of Weldwood already (cheap), but if I have to apply multiple coats to both surfaces and there's something easier to work with, I'd rather just get that.
This is just for one job, here at home.

Thanks for any advice.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I know this has been discussed earlier, but I'm guessing the California formulations may be different than those sold in other states.

Do you prefer:

C. Or the new RKC stuff? I may be able to get that in a quart here in CA, not sure.

I got a new pint of Weldwood already (cheap), but if I have to apply multiple coats to both surfaces and there's something easier to work with, I'd rather just get that.

Thanks for any advice.
West state billiards in Fullerton sells my glue in quarts or gallons. I used the FB10 for 36 years, and now will never switch back. Anyone who has already tried my glue knows there is no other like it on the market. The Diamond factory has even switched over to using it.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I use it and recommend it to anyone.
Besides the fact that it works awesome, Glen has helped so many over the years, this is a way for everyone to help his adhesive company grow!
Just my $0.02 :)

Trent from Toledo :thumbup:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member

Do you prefer:

Thanks for any advice.

Weldwood works just fine.

bradsh98

Silver Member
Won't keep the facings from dropping.

It does if you use it properly..

52877849_2237933516421616_6275580027052490752_n.jpg

bradsh98

Silver Member
A year later tells the story!

Sure does. I've been doing this for a while now..

Admittedly, I have had some drop in the past. That is more a result of not taking the proper care. Of course, that can happen with any contact adhesive. Now, I have a much better understanding, and no longer worry about the facings dropping.

I regularly use Weldwood. It is commonly available, cheap, and works well. I have also used 3M-10 and RKC250. All 3 products are quite similar, but Weldwood is much cheaper.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sure does. I've been doing this for a while now..

Admittedly, I have had some drop in the past. That is more a result of not taking the proper care. Of course, that can happen with any contact adhesive. Now, I have a much better understanding, and no longer worry about the facings dropping.

I regularly use Weldwood. It is commonly available, cheap, and works well. I have also used 3M-10 and RKC250. All 3 products are quite similar, but Weldwood is much cheaper.

I understand your reasons, I just never judge any product I use by its cost, always by how well it works is more important to me.

bradsh98

Silver Member
I understand your reasons, I just never judge any product I use by its cost, always by how well it works is more important to me.

I fully agree. When I assess a product, I look at all aspects. My decision is never based on cost alone. If a product has a much higher cost, with little perceived benefit for the task at hand, I will go with the cheaper product. I'm not going to buy a space shuttle, just to pick up a gallon of milk.

However, I do not use Weldwood for cloth glue-down applications.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After much reading, I started to overthink.
Since I have a can of Weldwood here, some almost-new MBS cushion rubber I just removed, I will test it on some 2x4s, see if I can get comfortable with it. If I don't like the experience, I'll pay the $50/quart price West State quoted me for the RKC glue. While I am generally interested in supporting a new and superior product, it really seemed a waste what happens to the rest of the can after I do just one job*. Of course, Murphy's Law ensures that if I don't, in the next year or two I'll find about 10 different needs for contact adhesive around the house.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

p.s. Thanks also Trent for the 12-points of details you wrote up here.

*boy am I ever kicking myself for not just extending the subrails the first time around. Scraping glue, twice in three years, sucks.

bradsh98

Silver Member
After much reading, I started to overthink.
Since I have a can of Weldwood here, some almost-new MBS cushion rubber I just removed, I will test it on some 2x4s, see if I can get comfortable with it. If I don't like the experience, I'll pay the $50/quart price West State quoted me for the RKC glue. While I am generally interested in supporting a new and superior product, it really seemed a waste what happens to the rest of the can after I do just one job*. Of course, Murphy's Law ensures that if I don't, in the next year or two I'll find about 10 different needs for contact adhesive around the house.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

p.s. Thanks also Trent for the 12-points of details you wrote up here.

*boy am I ever kicking myself for not just extending the subrails the first time around. Scraping glue, twice in three years, sucks.

Using a roller, apply 2 coats to each bonding surface. Wait at least 30 minutes, before attaching the cushions. Use pressure to bond.

Same process, regardless of the adhesive.