Bondo and contact cement

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of the sub-rail where the facings used to be, and now the extension is attached, the old wood is a bit chewed up in places. The new cushion will be attaching across this not-perfectly-flat joint.
Should I fill that flat with bondo first? Or just let the contact cement fill that gap? I don't want there to be any void under that part of the cushion, but I also don't know how compatible contact cement is with bondo.
Thanks for any advice.
EDIT: Extensions done. Now experimenting with cement application and working time, trimming on old cushion rubber pieces. So I'm comfortable with the process before I risk my new Superspeeds :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_084335.jpg
    IMG_20190317_084335.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20190320_083209.jpg
    IMG_20190320_083209.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
At the end of the sub-rail where the facings used to be, and now the extension is attached, the old wood is a bit chewed up in places. The new cushion will be attaching across this not-perfectly-flat joint.
Should I fill that flat with bondo first? Or just let the contact cement fill that gap? I don't want there to be any void under that part of the cushion, but I also don't know how compatible contact cement is with bondo.
Thanks for any advice.

Bondo it, better and longer lasting than wood filler! I use bondo on wood when needed. Good luck to you and keep the pictures coming!

Trent from Toledo:thumbup: