mmexport1562674135590.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 756

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funtional Art

1st. :)
Nice, clean work North Demon. :)
You show that you have skills and knowledge of machines and cues.

No disrespct to anyone.
and, no disrespect to you Pred. :)

I am not an expert,
to me..
The cue design looks more like, the start, from the "Funtional Art" era/Movement" of the mid 90's.

When Bill Schick saw Gus' 8 Point with the Peacocks, back around 1988 (?).
After that, Bill's cue's style changed and he started to use more arched diamonds and arched spears, rather than the typical "Musical Instrument inlays" , that was the standard in "Old School" cues.
Bill's cues was now "Elegant looking" ,as, he brought elegance to the American Pool Cue. ( Remember Bill's 6 and 8 Point cues.. )

Others, like Thomas Wayne, Ernie, Bill Stroud, Richard Churdy, Jerry McWortor , Richard Black, and others, too, looked and adapted new designs, Machine processes, and apply that to their cues. Thus, " The Cue as Funtional Art" was born.. :)
I think the 1st. official start of the movement was the "Galleria of Funtional Art" in Los Angles in the early/mid 90's?

Being in Hawaii, and not being "There", and , is only my observation. :)

"Arch Diamonds and Arch Spears are not Old School" - Alton Takata :grin-square:

Added: I also thought East Coast style had a "Compression/Piloted" Joint assembly..

Last edited:

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st. :)
Nice, clean work North Demon. :)
You show that you have skills and knowledge of machines and cues.

No disrespct to anyone.
and, no disrespect to you Pred. :)

I am not an expert,
to me..
The cue design looks more like, the start, from the "Funtional Art" era/Movement" of the mid 90's.

When Bill Schick saw Gus' 8 Point with the Peacocks, back around 1988 (?).
After that, Bill's cue's style changed and he started to use more arched diamonds and arched spears, rather than the typical "Musical Instrument inlays" , that was the standard in "Old School" cues.
Bill's cues was now "Elegant looking" ,as, he brought elegance to the American Pool Cue. ( Remember Bill's 6 and 8 Point cues.. )

Others, like Thomas Wayne, Ernie, Bill Stroud, Richard Churdy, Jerry McWortor , Richard Black, and others, too, looked and adapted new designs, Machine processes, and apply that to their cues. Thus, " The Cue as Funtional Art" was born.. :)
I think the 1st. official start of the movement was the "Galleria of Funtional Art" in Los Angles in the early/mid 90's?

Being in Hawaii, and not being "There", and , is only my observation. :)

"Arch Diamonds and Arch Spears are not Old School" - Alton Takata :grin-square:

Thank you for your reply.Unfortunately, my English is not very good, so I may not be able to discuss it with you accurately.For me, these are distant history. I feel that it is a pity that I did not participate in that era.It was only about 10 years ago that people started making custom cue in China.There was very little information we could receive at the time.Our source of information is just "Blue Book of Pool Cues".
Because at the time we could not fully see the information of all the networks.So I missed a lot.I am not an expert in this regard.Because I didn't personally participate in that era.I am not sure if my classification is correct.But I think as of today, the boundaries have become increasingly unclear.A variety of cues are constantly appearing.So for me, this old-fashioned style is the East Coast style. Simple combination of maple and 4point.Maybe the inlay style is wrong.But I don't want to be attached to this.If you want to distinguish strictly,is the number of veneer and the style of Butts also need to be limited?I am not sure. I always spend a lot of time researching the methods of making.Your reply made me discover that I ignored history.Thank you very much. I will pay more attention to it in the future.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice.

Immediately reminded me of JMW.

The cue stands on its own quite well regardless of how one sees the style. :thumbup:

I like it. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Style

Howzit Guys..
1st. North Demon, :)
I mean't you no disrespect. :)
And, I am not trying to "Classify" your cue.
I just shared what I seen with the evolution of custom cues and the timeline of progress.
You did nothing wrong.
You make nice cues, and, your tremendous knowledge and skills are seen in the Cues you've made and posted.

Gentlemen, I am not trying to start anything, so, take it easy. :smile:

I thought it would help some cue enthusiast, who might not know the little things that makes the Custom Cue and Cuemakers and how they took cues to the next level.

BTW, I think Bill Stroud was the original double ring with arch Squares, Bill McDaniel was doing them in the 90's too.. :grin-square:

Forgot to add Paul Drexler, Joe Gold, ... so many others that were apart in what turned out to be , what we call " High End Cues " ..

Last edited:

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howzit Guys..
1st. North Demon, :)
I mean't you no disrespect. :)
And, I am not trying to "Classify" your cue.
I just shared what I seen with the evolution of custom cues and the timeline of progress.
You did nothing wrong.
You make nice cues, and, your tremendous knowledge and skills are seen in the Cues you've made and posted.

Gentlemen, I am not trying to start anything, so, take it easy. :smile:

I thought it would help some cue enthusiast, who might not know the little things that makes the Custom Cue and Cuemakers and how they took cues to the next level.

BTW, I think Bill Stroud was the original double ring with arch Squares, Bill McDaniel was doing them in the 90's too.. :grin-square:

Forgot to add Paul Drexler, Joe Gold, ... so many others that were apart in what turned out to be , what we call " High End Cues " ..

Hi,
My mood is relaxed. I am very grateful to you for telling me about these things.Sincerely thank you for sharing.Maybe you think I am a bit serious.But this is because my English is not good, I am afraid that I will misunderstand or I Expression error.
I will always remember one thing, the first year I just started making cues.At the time, I thought I had made a very powerful design. "Single veneer".I asked a friend to help me post to the forum.The result was told that I copied the idea of RC3.
I was very depressed at the time. Because the Chinese network was not very developed at the time. So I don't know much about many things. Although I think I have improved a lot in these years. But I am still afraid of missing or mistaking something because of the language.I know that you are kind, thank you.

Last edited:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fashionable Walking Canes

Hello Mr. North Demon.
You got one thing that many cuemakers do not have.
(No disrespect, as, we all come up differently)
That is the Machinist Mind. :)

If you are not making money in your Top Custom Cues,
Maybe you can make Beautiful Inlayed Walking Canes.
Just like on your cues, you can express your CNC inlaying skills to create the many beautiful inlay assemblies and designs.
Just be sure the structual integrety is not compromised.

Just a thought.
:wink:
Thanks for being thankful. :)
Alton Takata

Last edited:

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Mr. North Demon.
You got one thing that many cuemakers do not have.
(No disrespect, as, we all come up differently)
That is the Machinist Mind. :)

If you are not making money in your Top Custom Cues,
Maybe you can make Beautiful Inlayed Walking Canes.
Just like on your cues, you can express your CNC inlaying skills to create the many beautiful inlay assemblies and designs.
Just be sure the structual integrety is not compromised.

Just a thought.
Thanks for being thankful. :)
Alton Takata

I personally find that there are very few cues that are complicated and good looking.
This requires a very good design.Every year, iccs has a lot of complicated but not good-looking cues.A good balance is needed to complete a complex and beautiful work.
In the past, the master completed the design by imagination and hand-painting.Therefore, the above situation often occurs.The modern master is because of the prevalence of drawing software. The equipment is better.
So it is more likely to make complex and beautiful works.
But this still requires good inspiration and luck.
I would like to try it if I have a chance. But it takes a lot of time.But a big problem in life is that time is never enough. Haha.

Last edited:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Landscapes of the Mind"

"In the past, the master completed the design by imagination and hand-painting.Therefore, the above situation often occurs.The modern master is because of the prevalence of drawing software. The equipment is better.
But this still requires good inspiration and luck."

Hello North Demon. :)
Hello guys.. :)

In American High End Cue Designs, what we see is "Perfection,Symmerty, Balance and Ideal Proportions"..
In China, you see the Ink Brush Paintings, and, many of Landscapes, and, are done to achieve "realizim".
But, using only lines and shading, The Zen Priest Muqi, created what was refered to as "Landscapes of the Mind".

The Japanese people of those times, embraced these Impressionistic and "Abstract-like" ink Paintings from Muqi.

If you look at Iwao (Lucky) Hishinuma's Cues, Iwao-san has took the Cue Designs to the next level with Impressionistic and Abstract designs.
Another trait of Japanese Art, (or more spicificly, The Rimpa School) was the "Usage of Space".

I believe many of the cues you was refering to at the ICCS Shows, was "Theme Cues", and, Theme Cues have no rules, only that they stay consistant with the Theme of the Show.. :)

" But this still requires good inspiration and luck"

A good example of "Luck" is Raku ware.

" It's not always possible to have nature and chance move as you would like.
When these uncontrolable forces fall into place, then you have a work of art" - Shuichi Kato

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is a great looking cue.
and your English is better than you think.
it's better then a lot of Americans that only speak English as a first and only language.

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"In the past, the master completed the design by imagination and hand-painting.Therefore, the above situation often occurs.The modern master is because of the prevalence of drawing software. The equipment is better.
But this still requires good inspiration and luck."

Hello North Demon. :)
Hello guys.. :)

In American High End Cue Designs, what we see is "Perfection,Symmerty, Balance and Ideal Proportions"..
In China, you see the Ink Brush Paintings, and, many of Landscapes, and, are done to achieve "realizim".
But, using only lines and shading, The Zen Priest Muqi, created what was refered to as "Landscapes of the Mind".

The Japanese people of those times, embraced these Impressionistic and "Abstract-like" ink Paintings from Muqi.

If you look at Iwao (Lucky) Hishinuma's Cues, Iwao-san has took the Cue Designs to the next level with Impressionistic and Abstract designs.
Another trait of Japanese Art, (or more spicificly, The Rimpa School) was the "Usage of Space".

I believe many of the cues you was refering to at the ICCS Shows, was "Theme Cues", and, Theme Cues have no rules, only that they stay consistant with the Theme of the Show.. :)

" But this still requires good inspiration and luck"

A good example of "Luck" is Raku ware.

" It's not always possible to have nature and chance move as you would like.
When these uncontrolable forces fall into place, then you have a work of art" - Shuichi Kato

Hi,
The example you gave is very good.
But I want to explain one thing. I mention iccs just because it is the place where you can see the most cues.
Every cuemaker wants to complete Top Custom Cues.But this is always limited by the times.Materials, techniques, equipment, aesthetics.The top works of the 1980s, from the current point of view, may only feel very ordinary.The times have been improving and there will always be better works.
I just want to express that even if the current cuemaker has better conditions to make a more perfect work, it still requires inspiration and luck.
I feel that if I can finish a few satisfactory works in my life, I feel satisfied.

Last edited:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asian Art

1st.. What is your name? :confused:
:grin-square:
Mr. Demon,
I always thought, when Asia starts to make Custom Cues,
The Art on Cues would reflect the Eastern Philosophy.
Breaking away from The Ideal.

Japanese Kimonos , is/are, an amazing account for these endless themes and variations. One is not held by the laws that we see as Western's Orderly mannor.
Traditional Japanese Arts tend show the artist's inner feelings.
As the times changed throughout history, Traditional Japanese Artist kept their beliefs and inner feelings, " and expressed what we see as " Hearts turned to Nature".. :)

https://cz.pinterest.com/pin/464293042815345152

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st.. What is your name? :confused:
:grin-square:
Mr. Demon,
I always thought, when Asia starts to make Custom Cues,
The Art on Cues would reflect the Eastern Philosophy.
Breaking away from The Ideal.

Japanese Kimonos , is/are, an amazing account for these endless themes and variations. One is not held by the laws that we see as Western's Orderly mannor.
Traditional Japanese Arts tend show the artist's inner feelings.
As the times changed throughout history, Traditional Japanese Artist kept their beliefs and inner feelings, " and expressed what we see as " Hearts turned to Nature".. :)

https://cz.pinterest.com/pin/464293042815345152
Hi,
My name is Cheng Yong.The north demon is my brand name.The origin is that I live in the north of China.
I don't just want to make Eastern Philosophy works, I want to make various types.
Everyone has different ideas. I like to do all kinds of works. Some people like to strengthen the brand impression. So always do close works. This is different for everyone's purpose, so choose a different approach.
It’s always boring for me to always do similar works.
I always want to make various attempts within the allowable range.
But the size of the cue is limited. There will always be a limit to the various creative ideas.The development of custom cues has been more than half a century.Many of the ideas may be done somewhere, and you don't know.So there will always be repetitions.
Eastern Philosophy is a vague concept.There are dozens of countries in Asia.There are various cultural backgrounds.It's hard to show it on a cue.Usually only a part of it can be shown.And I don't want to be fixed to a certain style.
Japan and China are two very different countries.I am not very familiar with Japanese culture.
If I receive such an order, I will try it.
But I will not take the initiative to do it. Because time is always not enough.

Last edited: